1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Sprints Voice and Data reception for a potential new user.

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by Lefort1, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Lefort1

Lefort1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Are you worried about Sprint's voice and data reception? Once this phone drops, I'll be moving to Sprint for the first time from Verizon.

I've been an ex-Tmobile customer and an ex-AT&T customer. Overall, I've never been more pleased with Verizon's service. But they're recent announcement to move towards tier'd plans, possibly doing away with unlimited, high prices, ban against tethering, axing 1-year contract plans, and lackluster phones is what brings me here.

I hear such variable things about Sprint's service. Some say they roam on Verizon, others say that's only partially true. I saw a thread elsewhere that showed how Sprint's coverage map has drastically decreased in recent years.

I'm just hoping I won't be locked into 2 years of misery with the Evo 3D because of poor coverage (like I was with AT&T--dropped calls almost everyday!).

Advertisement

2. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
    I live in Arizona and in eight years with Sprint I've never had a serious reception or signal problem.

I traveled to Oklahoma, Texas, California, Nevada, Georgia, Florida, & even the Virgin Islands and had good service throughout my visits.

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Best thing to do is go to Sprint's site and check out their coverage map (the one that you can zoom in and get street-level coverage info). Check home, check school/work/commute paths, and any other areas you frequent. Friends, family, relatives, etc.

Sprint customer for 12 years. Never had issues. You may also want to check out the Sprint section of these forums for additional feedback.

4. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    Lefort1: Where do you live?

5. Lefort1

Lefort1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Past - Hawaii
    Current - Boston
    Occasional Visits - Cali, Nevada, and the rest of New England

6. falconey

falconey Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    Atlanta
    Voice reception is excellent. 3g data can have low speeds, but coverage is excellent and accessing web pages is quick. 4g has much better speeds than 3g, but the network still needs work. Coverage is spotty and doesn't penetrate buildings very well. As for roaming on Verizon, I'm pretty sure that the plan you sign up on will allow you to roam on Verizon and not be charged. Sprint hasn't charged me for roaming since the early 2000's.

7. xxD44xx

xxD44xx Member
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    I've been a sprint customer for eight years. I've been very happy with the service they've provided. The local Sprint store is great. We now live in a house with poor reception; Sprint gave us an Airave booster - no charge, no hassle.

8. Plattypus

Plattypus Newbie

Apr 19, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Sprint customer for 4 years, excellent coverage and call quality all over Southern California.

The 3G speeds are decent, I average out at about .6-1.3 MBPS.