1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Spurious Battery Temperature Warning

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lotus49, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Graham04

Graham04 Lurker
    None

Feb 10, 2012
    I got this problem a few days. It disappeared yesterday, but gave me a new problem whereby every time I switched the SG2 off, it would switch itself back on again without me touching it.

I am now back to the original temperature/usb port problem. I have tried cleaning and adding a new battery with no success. Going to take it into a three shop (UK) later and see what they say.

Advertisement

2. nnenov

nnenov Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2012
    Europe/Bulgaria/Sofia
    Same problem here. I'll try to write up in a sec how I solved it.

3. nnenov

nnenov Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2012
    Europe/Bulgaria/Sofia
    Same problem with phone restarting instead of shutting down. It would randomly show that it is connected to USB/MTP and it would not charge to 100%. It would also show the battery tem warning when shut down. It would not start from this screen and I had to plug it in into a charger for it to be able to start.

That has been 5 days ago, after I dropped it in snow and did not take the battery out immediately.

I tried cleaning the usb port with isopropyl multiple times, took it apart and completely dried it. Left the battery out overnight. Tried charging/discharging the battery and taking it out - did not work out. More or less I tried all the suggestions in this thread.

After waiting for 6 days for the problem to resolve itself it became apparent that the phone will not cure itself. I went and bought the usb module from a samsung service. Cost 15 euro locally.

This is the part:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5160422/galaxyS2-module.jpg

Replaced it in 5 minutes after watching the take apart tutorial on youtube.

GALAXY S2 disassemble (??) - YouTube

The only tools you need are a screwdriver and a pair of steady hands. :)

Good luck to everyone having this problem. It's obvious that one has to be careful with the usb port and the charger connector to always be clean and dry.

Cheers!

4. landpt

landpt Lurker
    None

Feb 14, 2012
    Hi, did it solve your problem?

I'm having the same problem... I already tried to clean, but didn't work. Because of this, I can't connect my s2 to computer which is quite annoying (I mean, I can connect but only charge, no data).

I already went to samsung local service in here (Portugal) and they just said that they did not know what my problem was (even though I said a gazillion times it was usb port and it was known by Samsung), and it would take at least 2 weeks to find what was the problem plus 1 week for processual stuff. This is just way too long time without cell phone (they won't give any substitute).

So now that I saw the video and your report, I'm attempted to do the same, however, I'm quite sure my local samsung service won't sell me the usb port. How can I do it then? :/ How did samsung sold you the usb port? That's weird because in their words, that would void the warranty and so they won't sell me it.

5. nnenov

nnenov Lurker
    None

Feb 13, 2012
    Europe/Bulgaria/Sofia
    @79

Yes, problem solved.

I also think the battery lasts longer now, as obviously it did not charge to 100% before, or there was some kind of currency drain from the damaged socket. Or both.

I do not care much for the Samsung warranty. 90% of the times you want to use this right here in Bulgaria, they tell you that you wet the phone or that you put it in a pocket and you have caused the damage and the warranty does not cover that, so they overcharge you dramatically, keep your phone for a month and many times don't do the repair right. With my previous phone (an htc) the sound jack died and when I got my phone back from the official service it was scratched from a screwdriver all over. I went nuts but could not do much.

My local service also told me I would lose the warranty, but my galaxy s2 did not seem to have any seals inside, so there's no way to tell really if the phone has been taken apart or not.

They had the part in stock, it's a 5 minute job, but they told me I had to leave my phone with them FOR A WEEK for this simple job. So I just bought the part and said goodbye.

You could tell them that you are a gsm service owner and you want to buy the part, or you could buy the part from ebay, there was a link in this thread that sold the exact same part.

Good luck!

6. rahulc

rahulc Newbie
    None

Feb 14, 2012
    Do you see the same kind of problem with the samsung stock battery aslo??

I am also using extended 3500 Mah battery(which comes with the extended back panel) which i bought from ebay. Such battery makers have deviced a mechanism which prevents over heating. If there is any fault in the mechanism this issue might occur. you have try with other stock battery to check whether the problem lies with the phone or the battery.

I hope your issue is resolved quickly.

7. couzins

couzins Lurker
    None

May 2, 2011
    I'm having the same problem....

I've tried cleaning out the USB port, and blown it with compressed air and left it for a while. When I put the battery in it alternates between green battery with 5 white dots and the thermometer and big yellow triangle, even if it's not plugged in to charger or USB.

If I turn it off, it restarts automatically and gets stuck on this battery screen. I can't turn it on at all. My phone isn't rooted (as far as I know)...

Plugging the phone in makes no difference.

I have some job interviews coming up this week so I really, really need this fixed ASAP! Any further fixes?

8. kermitude

kermitude Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    I had the same problem 2 days ago after trying to calibrate my battery on my rooted Galaxy S2 with ICS. Reflashed kernel and it fixed it for a couple hours but then I charged it and took it off charge but today I found another battery calibrator by DAMO Software on the market and I haven't had any problems yet... if anyone is interested I will post results tomorrow and let you know.

9. AlexanderSG

AlexanderSG Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Hey, I have a Samsung galaxy s2 and when i plugged it in to charge the other night it overheated. By the time i woke up in the morning it was redhot..I could barely touch it, and it wont turn on anymore. I've just bought a spare battery on ebay but I dont know if it's going to help me.

Any suggestions?

10. xaqi006

xaqi006 Lurker
    None

Mar 6, 2012
    same problem.. and PROBLEMO SOLVED (may b 4 d timebeing)

yesterday before sleeping i turned off my galaxy s2.. wake up in the morning.. turn on.. used for about 6 hours.. put on charging.. and there you are... '' CHARGING PAUSED, THE BATTERY TEMPERATURE TOO HIGH OR TOO LOW '' the battery was a bit colder than usual.. the message appeared like just a simple error message.. no weird symbol.. nothing else.. with an OK button.. well after some googling found nothing else.. so i put my battery in SUN LIGHT for about 5 to 7 minutes (not very intense sun light though) and after that i touch the battery it was a bit warmer.. put in mobile started charging.. and its running well since.. i dont how or why it happend .. it just happend.. good luck..
    ( not sorry for my poor english cuz it not my native language :p )

11. hartmacw

hartmacw Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2012
    Same problem. Had my phone in a high humidity place for a while (outside of a bathroom/steam) and it started doing this. Have tried all methods of drying for a week now. Does anyone know if the usb charging part listed above is compatible with the Epic 4G touch model SPH-D710, nearly the same phone as the i9100?
    Thanks.

12. hartmacw

hartmacw Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2012
    After about 5 days, the problem resolved itself. I purchased an external battery charger so I could keep my battery charged overnight. During that time, I left my phone open with air circulating from a ceiling fan. Five days later, working perfectly again, for the time being.

Just FYI, I chatted online with Samsung while I was having the problem. Here is an actual excerpt of that conversation:

Me: When I try to charge my battery I get a warning that the temperature is too low and it will not charge. The battery is not cold, it is 70 degrees here. My wife has the same phone. I cannot charge her battery in my phone, and she can charge my battery in her phone, so the problem is not the battery. I have tried multiple chargers.

Samsung: I am sorry you are having this problem. Please give me a minute to research this issue.
    Samsung: The problem is likely the battery. Is this the original battery that came with the phone?

Me: Yes, but as I stated above, the problem is not the battery. My wife's phone can charge the battery.

Samsung: What phone does your wife have?

Me: As I stated above, she has the same phone, the Epic 4G Touch.

And it got worse from there. Moral of the story, if you call or chat with Samsung, just give them one short sentence to diagram at a time.

13. dingowarrior

dingowarrior Lurker
    None

Mar 31, 2012
    There is a small temperature sensor to the left of the micro SD slot (left hand side back of the phone with cover off - it's a little gold ring with a black interior and a tiny hole in centre.)

We blew some crap out of it, that would cause it to think it was overheating (basically blocked so air doesn't circulate around it preventing a true temp reading.)

I haven't used contact cleaner on it, for the simple reason that most phones have a moisture detection sticker on it, so when it gets wet (presumably even contact cleaner because it is wet, then evaporates) you basically have to fork out $$$ to get it fixed when you send it off.

Between this, and the USB / charge port, I suspect there is a problem. The common points of this discussion are:
    - USB shows connected, or Kies starts even though it's not connected
    - The phone has been exposed to moisture / been wet
    - Battery is not usually overheating, indicating a fault with either the sensor itself, or the firmware/software that it interacts with.

I had used my car charger (not a Samsung one) and it was playing up yesterday after unplugging it and plugging back in. This may have caused a short or spike to the phone. I'm not sure tbh.

My phone did have a bit of dust and crap in the back too.

Strangely, plugged in the official Samsung charger for the wall and it began working.

Try the following in resolution:
    - Get a cotton bud and gently wipe around and on the temp sensor and be careful not to push any crap into the tiny hole.
    - Check that the charge / usb port has no crap in it
    - Check that when plugging and unplugging, you haven't bent the plug slightly and caused 2 parts of the port to touch / short out. If this happens, at your own risk :), then get a precision screwdriver and gently lever them away from each other.

In my charge port, I'm finding that the tiny flat black bit in the centre gets a little bent down from time to time, and I need to tweak it.

If none of this works, be honest and be prepared to fork out a little cash to get it fixed if it got wet and send it off to be fixed.

Best of British Luck to all.

14. Bandit721

Bandit721 Lurker
    None

Apr 2, 2012
    Having continuous issue with the Samsung Galaxy SII, bought it in Sept 2011, and after a month, whilst on charge overnight, it woke me up vibrating constantly untill i had to pull battery out. When trying to turn it back on, battery warning saying it was over heated stopped me tunring it on (Battery was cold). After reboot, Voice activation program constantly turning itself on, as well as the phone deciding it was conected via usb port and draining battery like no tomorrow. Managed to get an exchange. Then after only 3 MONTHS, same thing happened again, just without the crazy vibrating. Took it to Phones4u to get exchange, but would only repair it. A week later, got it back to find STILL broke, so had to get them to repair it again. After the second week, finally got it back, but it has only lasted 2 MONTHS till its done same thing again. Although i noticed this time my battery widget was saying my battery was 'over voltage' and battery software was not working at all, no ability at discharging and no history of battery use (says 0 mins 0 secsconsistantly) Managed to complain enough to Phones4u to get an exchange this time.

Is it me, or am i doing something wrong?, i leave it on charge overnight, and always try to only charge it when my battery is under 20% to give it a good charge everytime. My gf has the Samsung galaxy ACE and had no issues what so ever, and we got our phones extactly the same time.

Can someone help, im beinging to get rather fed up with my phone constantly break on me. I did try to clean the charger port with all the tips from all other posts, and still nought. As i said, im thankful im getting a replacement, but im just wondering if anyone can point out to me how i can avoid going through all this again, maybe an external battery charger, so i dont have to use charger port for anything, or another good way of covering charger port to stop dust getting in, as i know the Galaxy Ace has a charger cover built into the phone, which would have been an excellent idea for the galaxy s 2.

15. Hazardous54

Hazardous54 Lurker
    None

Apr 2, 2012
    Hi, I have Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100 from 3 Mobile and its battery time isn't good my S2 can only go for 2-3 hours without Wi-Fi and when ever I use it it gets heated up alot! Its screen and the camera from the back gets heated up and today I was charging my S2 and when i came after 3-4 hours and checked the battery was just charged under 10% and the phone was turned off.

I pressed the home button, it displayed the Green Battery Icon with a thermometer and the phone was like 75 degrees celsius hot or something so I unplugged the charger and my phone is still working normally what should I do?
    PLEASE HELP!

16. david_inuk

david_inuk Member
    None

May 5, 2010
    I had the same problem intermittently, and Orange replaced my phone, battery and charger.

17. FuzzyBear9

FuzzyBear9 Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2012
    Joined this forum to post the following solution that worked for me.

I experienced the following symptoms:

1) Battery status showed 100% charged prematurely.
    2) On restart, the battery symbol appears with an exclamation mark and temp gauge. (Goto step 2-5, then start at step 1 if you are stuck in a loop and cannot get past this message)
    3) MTP connected and media scanning/completed intermittent.
    4) Connecting an unconnected cable to the usb port causes the MTP message on phone.
    5) When connecting the phone to a PC, only charging, no USB or Kies sync.
    6) Removing the battery, sim, SD card, and cleaning usb port did not resolve the problem (although there was a lot of crap wedged in there!)

Solution:

1) Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and uninstall any QR/Barcode scanner.
    2) Switch off your phone.
    3) Hold Power, Menu, Volume Up keys together.
    4) Clear/Format cache partition.
    5) Select reboot option.

That's it! Phone should resume normal behaviour.

Cheers,
    Fuzzy

18. DaanvanDijk

DaanvanDijk Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2012
    This happened to mine, you must have got some dust in your usb port. The clean it with a toothbrush and use a hairdryer to blow onto the port and remove the dust.

Greetzz Daan:D

19. ChunkyMunky

ChunkyMunky Newbie
    None

Mar 31, 2012
    I'm having this problem aswell. Phone won't turn on unless it's plugged into a charger, otherwise I get the battery warning triangle. When it's fully charged and I take the charger out, the fully charged notification won't disappear. If for some reason it does, I get it switching constantly between charging and not charging, so always vibrating.

Will have to take it back to the shop, but has anyone had a definitive answer as to why it happens?

20. wilmor24

wilmor24 Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2012
    Just wanted to let you know that I had this same issue with the charger: had to plug the charger for the phone to turn it on, after unplugging it still said that it was charging, crazy battery stats, etc. And yes, in my case it started after getting the phone wet. I found this thread and went ahead and got the charger connector flex cable, replaced it myself and the phone now works with no issues.

21. FirebirdStud

FirebirdStud Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Minnesota
    I am experiencing all of this annoying stuff... and I just want to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich! Ugh. I ended up buying the following charging port off ebay:
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
    I did this because the link listed was from Hong Kong, and I dont want to wait. Im in the UK so Ill have this by Monday, and its the REV 2.2. I saw one on Amazon just like this, but the REV 1.2. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the newer one is always better. Will post up how it works next week. *fingers crossed*

Im replacing it myself because I phoned the Samsung service centre and they told me it would be at least 5 days to fix it even if I walked into the store. WTF. so I asked to just buy the part and Ill put it in, and of course they couldn't allow that. Thank God I can do this crap myself, because customer service doesn't exist over here in the UK.

22. FirebirdStud

FirebirdStud Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Minnesota
    PROBLEM SOLVED! Turns out my port has been dodgy since I got the phone. Now it works like a charm. No battery issues, no KIES issues. Im one happy DROID owner now. :)

23. saleando

saleando Member
    None

Apr 15, 2012
    Somewhere Down the Road
    thanks

24. jayspocket

jayspocket Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2012
    my s2 has had
    1,temp warning