1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Spurious Battery Temperature Warning

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lotus49, Jul 18, 2011.

1. HeebieGeebie

HeebieGeebie Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    As FuzzyBear9 did, I joined to give my solution to this problem. I experienced the exact same issues as FuzzyBear9 but it was fixed in a different way.

I experienced the following symptoms:

1) Battery status showed 100% charged prematurely.
    2) On restart, the battery symbol appears with an exclamation mark and temp gauge.
    3) MTP connected and media scanning/completed intermittent.
    4) Connecting an unconnected cable to the usb port causes the MTP message on phone.
    5) When connecting the phone to a PC, only charging, no USB or Kies sync.
    6) Removing the battery, sim, SD card, and cleaning usb port did not resolve the problem.

I spoke to Samsung and they were aware of the problem, it apparently was a known fault with the specific version of Gingerbread '2.3.4'. I needed to update to a newer version of android, but i couldn't since the USB connection was not working. They told me to take it to my local samsung repair shop and they will update android to the latest version. This fixed the problem. It was free of charge covered by my warranty. I now have Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3.

They put the wrong one on though because I have the I9100P and they put ICS firmware for the I9100 on mine. So I have lost my NFC functionality. This doesn't matter though because I plan to root and change the firmware anyway.

Thanks,

Adam

Advertisement

2. ivyleaguer

ivyleaguer Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2012
    The only thing this did was get rid of my barcode scanner app. the problem still remains and I am out of the country on vacation for 3 months. My warranty won't help me if I bring my phone in where I am.

3. lainga9

lainga9 Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2012
    i am suffering from the spurious temperature warning, fast battery drain and consistent 100% charge icon as well. unfortunately i have just changed the usb charging port and the problems still remain! i have removed all QR scanners so that can't be the problem. does anyone have any ideas of what i could try?

4. peak2peak

peak2peak Lurker
    None

Sep 8, 2012
    andycorps's solution (at top of page) worked for me too. Had problems with USB port always being connected. High battery discharge. Phone never turning off properly (it thought it was charging when it wasnt!).

Problem gone now that I have cleaned all the grit and dirt off the usb connector!

I am going to invest in a case that covers the USB port when phone in my pocket.

5. Northern2010

Northern2010 Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Thanks for the post Slug..... I have read the post and its seems i am suffering the issues as Heebie Geebie on the spurious battery temperature warning post.

I have tried re installing an earlier edition firmware (as my phone worked fine prior to the update) but Kies Air claims i have latest version and doesnt give me an alternative option.

My current Android version 4.0.4

Kernal 3.0.15-1187368 dpi@DELL228#3 SMP PREEMPT

Firmware PDA:LPJ/PHONE:LPE/CSC:LPJ (ORA)

Anyone any ideas please

As always i thank you in advance

Northern

Slug likes this.
  6. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    LPJ is currently the latest release for ORA, Orange. Hence your Kies notification.

You can re-install your firmware or flash an older firmware by using Odin and the instructions in #1.7, here.

Northern2010 likes this.
  7. Northern2010

Northern2010 Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Ironass, Thanks for the swift reply.

I will try this over the next few days, i may come back to you if i experience any issues which you can hopefully help with......

Northern

8. Northern2010

Northern2010 Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Just a quick update regarding this overheating issue....

In essence i am still suffering, my phone will charge for short time then stall claiming device is too hot and stops charging. When my phone is linked up to my laptop via usb the phone seems to connect, disconnect etc....?????

I tried flashing the latest firmware for my phone and carrier, however i am still experience the same annoying problems.....

I have tried alternative battery, chargers even when i have a fully charged battery this lasts around an hour if im lucky...

I tried the above method as posted by Ironass (very clear and concise post may i add) and easy to follow but this has not gleaned any results, this problem only reared its head when i updated my phone via Kies a couple of months ago.

Any thoughts please

Northern

9. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
  10. theloser

theloser Lurker
    None

Nov 24, 2014
    Male
    Tasmania, Australia.
    Thanks for people's great advice to clean and maybe replace the USB port. My experience with other electronic gadgets supports this vulnerability to the slightest crap on the circuits.

Don't forget the plug on the USB cable.

For some people who's problem wasn't fixed by cleaning or replacing the USB port ... are you connecting a grotty old USB plug to your phone? You'll literally be connecting USB problems to your painstakingly cleaned phone.

And don't use compressed air to blow any circuitry dry. That usually works well, but you might possibly be blowing some water further into cracks and crevices and maybe even into previously dry crevices. I reckon it's safer to use alcohol (often sold with a fancy name) to try to transport the water out.

11. angelito7007

angelito7007 Lurker
    None

Mar 19, 2015
    Male
    hi there i just have this problem now whit a walaxy s4 ( from a client ) i fix the problem replacing the charging port.. and now WORK whit no problem at all..

12. angelito7007

angelito7007 Lurker
    None

Mar 19, 2015
    Male
    hi there i just have this problem now whit a galaxy s4 ( from a client ) i fix the problem replacing the charging port..
    and now WORK whit no problem at all.. try replacing the port and let us know if it works for you 2 cheers

13. angelito7007

angelito7007 Lurker
    None

Mar 19, 2015
    Male
    hi there i just have this problem now whit a galaxy s4 ( from a client ) i fix the problem replacing the charging port..
    and now WORK whit no problem at all.. try replacing the port and let us know if it works for you 2 cheers

14. olivier577

olivier577 Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2015
    Male
    hi, I had those problems on my s2 (i9100) :
    -battery temperature warning when I try to switch off
    -the phone switch on when I insert the battery
    -no USB data connection ( the PC show the device is not recognized or something like that)
    -after full charge, when the phone is disconnected, the charging icon stays and later goes away, come back, with the annoying sound many times, sometimes for 30 mn ( until the charge is not full anymore )

I solved it after I replaced the small board with the micro USB port , I found it on internet for 7 €, and followed the video tutorials.

cheers

15. olivier577

olivier577 Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2015
    Male