• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Spyware on my phone

Are you sure it was installed then? I've googled it and "Data Manager Service" seems to be the name of a standard Motorola app. What type of phone is it?

The name would imply something for, well, managing data usage, but if it were really tracking software it might not label itself as such. Any info you can give might help someone identify the app if you are concerned though.

Upvote 0
If you still have the spyware into you mobile phone and you want to remove it. There is only one way to remove this monitoring app from you smartphone.
Just take a backup of your important data and preform Hard Reset.
It will set your smartphone on default settings and remove all the third party apps from your cell phone.
I hope it will help.

Thank you.
Beth.

Unless it's called CarrierIQ.

Upvote 0
Can't remember if it was Apple,Android or Facebook had a location app out that showed all users of that app available in the area. Some kind of social tracker. It has since been pulled for fear of stalking.

I think both Apple and Android did have a social app like that, but you had to opt in and only your friends which is OK if that's what you want. This other app opted you in automatically to any other user.

I would call this a form of spyware, and if a carrier includes it as it is built into a map type app, I should think a good public outcry would be necessary.

The above companies do this to encourage social interaction usually, but it is still spyware unless you can opt out.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Can't remember if it was Apple,Android or Facebook had a location app out that showed all users of that app available in the area. Some kind of social tracker. It has since been pulled for fear of stalking.

I think both Apple and Android did have a social app like that, but you had to opt in and only your friends which is OK if that's what you want. This other app opted you in automatically to any other user.

I would call this a form of spyware, and if a carrier includes it as it is built into a map type app, I should think a good public outcry would be necessary.

The above companies do this to encourage social interaction usually, but it is still spyware unless you can opt out.

I think we may have a winner

Are they logged in to google lattitude by any chance? If so, they can go in the app & change settings, log out of it, etc.

It's also a good time to tell people to switch off their damn WiFi, bluetooth & 3g if they're not using it. You just waste battery. I know lots of people who leave these things on for the hell of it, they just don't understand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones