• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps SQLite or String Array

__Jon__

Aug 16, 2010
I am developing a very simple quiz app. It's just a standard multiple choice quiz. I am not sure how many questions there will be, but it could go into the hundreds.
So far I only put in about a dozen questions. All of them are in a string array. However, I'm worried that if I decide to vastly increase the question bank I am wasting time with string arrays and I should make a SQLite DB table instead. That's not too difficult in itself (I hope), but I want to know if a persistent SQLite DB that comes with the app will have negative effects on

1) Size of App. OK so I guess it will, but is, say, a DB of 2000+ questions going to make the file extremely chunky?

2)Speed. Is it quicker to search a random row on a DB table or a random element of a stirng array? Of course it depends on size, but does anyone know if it is a noticeable difference?

3) Battery life. Will a SQLite DB be a bigger drain on battery?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones