1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SR supported video format

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Skippy04, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Skippy04

Skippy04 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    I want to upload video to my SR. What will be best video format and resolution taking to consideration balance between quality and file size?

Advertisement

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Everything I converted back when I had my evo using this thread looks amazing

http://androidforums.com/825760-post19.html

full thread

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/87073-htc-evo-handbrake-settings-video.html

I have another vide app I use but will need to look it up.

it's a little more user friendly and isn't the resource hog that handbrake is.

What program are you using?

3. Midiman

Midiman Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Male
    Professional musician, photographer, computer prog
    Upstate, NY
    From the documentation: The Music Player is an application that can play music files. The
    music player supports files with extensions AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, WMA, 3GP, MP4, and M4A.

The docs are less forth-coming concerning supported video formats. I assume that, like most operating systems, some support is native for certain formats and support for non-native formats can probably be found by using apps which have built in support for those formats. MPEG-4 seems to be supported natively, so movies encoded using most of a TON of different encoders that use MPEG-4 (XVID, DIVX, etc) should be fine as long as the accompanying audio is also in one of the supported formats.

Resolution, aspect ratio, audio/video encoding, bitrate, etc are always a tricky subjects. I can't begin to cover the material in much less than a 200 page book.

The native screen resolution of the Skyrocket is 1.66, which is the theatrical industry standard widescreen spec. Digital TV went with a slightly wider 16:9 (which equates to 1.77). The best looking video will always be achieved by using a native resolution and not resorting to hardware or software based resizing in realtime. Most people will probably prefer to watch movies in landscape mode which is 800 pixels wide. That's wider than the native resolution of DVDs (720). You would have to upsize them to convert them to 800 pixels. Upsizing almost always results in negative impact on video quality. BluRay has a substantially larger resolution and you would WANT to downsize it to save on filesize and the amount of processing necessary for the phone to play it back. Optimizing video for a specific device is a very time consuming undertaking that can require a lot of experimentation for beginners. The Skyrocket has enough muscle to process video "on-the-fly," but using more CPU means using more battery. It's easier to go with what you have if you're not concerned with having the best possible quality on any specific device.

There are always arguments from people who want the video to fill the whole screen and don't want to see and black bars (letterboxing or pillarboxing). The only way to accomplish that is to crop the video in one direction or another which causes you to lose some of the picture.

I spent ages converting my DVDs to video formats for the original 30G Video iPod and did it again for my 64G iTouch with the Retina display. I have only had the phone for a few weeks and haven't started the process of converting anything specifically for it.

Some tests of files I've had lying around for ages worked nicely "out of the box." I've found movies encoded with XVID video and MPEG-1 layer 3 audio, packaged as AVI's, play fine. Resolution in the ballpark of 624x256 (very widescreen ratio of 2.45 which was probably intended to be an industry standard 2.35). Video encode rate was about 745kbps and audio was 48000hz, 112 kbps stereo. The Skyrocket can handle much higher encode rates which will yield better looking video. File size is ALL ABOUT ENCODE RATES. It doesn't matter if your video is 320x240 or 1280x900, an encode rate of X for a duration of Y will result in the same file size.

The ratio/resolution you encode at should match the source material or it will appear stretched in one direction or the other. In the above example, I assume the 2.45 ratio is probably stretching the video horizontally because the movie was produced slightly narrower at 2.35. you want to maintain the original aspect ratio to avoid this.

You can always see the result of making this kind of mistake in any of the Bond movies. The open with the perfect circle of the gun barrel will appear oblong either horizontally or vertically if it hasn't been done properly. Some complications of MPEG specs "requiring" multiples of 4 for resolution can be the culprit, although I have found you can easily encode MPEG that is out of spec in that regard and it will still play fine in almost everything. You might get a "warning" from the encoding software. Some pieces of software may force you to the closest "legal" spec.

Once you've found a file that works, check it out and figure out what it is. A utility I've found indispensable for this kind of video analysis is GSpot. It's a free utility that requires no installation. It can be run from a stick. You can find it here:

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

This thing will run on anything from Windows 98 to 64-bit Windows 7. It's also useful for finding codecs you may be missing for playback on your PC.

I could write about this stuff for days. I spent 15 years in video edit suites using both linear and non-linear, digital and analog systems for PBS. Doesn't mean I can make anyone understand it. Most people are looking for a one-click solution. There are lots of companies selling such things. Their output is usually not acceptable to me and most of them suffer from A/V sync issues.

Mr. Ed likes this.
  4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    ^was hoping you would chime in.