• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SSH with Broken Screen

zdwiel

Lurker
Jun 19, 2010
If I have an android phone with a broken screen, is there a way for me to ssh or otherwise login to the phone? I would still like to be able to use it as a wifi enabled webcam, as well as maybe a few other things. It seems that all of the methods for remote login to the Android require enabling something on the phone while the screen still works. Any ideas?

Thanks

zach

I don't know... how broken is the screen? Can you see ANYTHING on it or is it completely blank/fuzzy mess? The thing is, you would need to access the OS somehow to input your Wi-Fi information. I could see you being able to access the OS somehow if it wasn't for the lock screen, and then you could just fudge around with the d-pad and try to get something. If you had a way to get around the lock screen... but then the only way I could think of to do that is to root the phone and try to tinker with the Android OS to remove the lock screen...

Maybe if you root the phone with RSD Lite, you could make your own custom ROM that has your WiFi information already included and the necessary apps to enable it as a wi-fi webcam, and have the app set to launch on startup?

This project is definitely a stretch. I wish you luck. ;)

Upvote 0
Well actually, I don't have one yet, I have a friend whose got one and all I know it has a broken screen. However, it got me thinking it would be cool if I could get a system worked out for doing this as I would love to be able to buy broken android phones and make them into something useful without having to replace the screen.

Thanks for the ideas

zach

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones