• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

stand-alone outlook sync - what email do you use on the device

givepraise

Lurker
May 21, 2011
Hi Folks,

Syncing corp email to my device and am using 2 products to sync personal stand-alone outlook to the device - consolidated calendar is great! I am a newbie to Android (love it! - 3 days in), so I am still trying to understand stuff and work out the kinks...

So here is my question. I do *not* ever want to sync my personal calendar to a cloud anywhere... If you also sync from a stand-alone Outlook w/o going through a cloud, what email account are you using on your device so that the data never syncs online? I used my gmail account, but then turned on sync by accident while trying to get the additional software to work for stand-alone outlook, but then everything sync'd to gmail and I had to go and delete it all.

Any and all constructive suggestions/ideas will be welcomed!

Thanks, Verna

Thanks all!

I know what I did wrong. Before buying the new phone yesterday, had worked with a tablet (XOOM) to do a proof of concept re: the Outlook sync issues. Because MyPhoneExp really expects a *phone* it did not give the "Phone" and "PC" options on the tablet. When I tried the full sync of the phone to PC, those options apperared and it worked like a charm! LOVE THIS!

Thanks!

Verna

Upvote 0
I tried MPE a while back and had to go back to HTC Sync, because it didn't handle many of my Outlook's repeating events, such as the second Sunday of the month. It has some neat features, like viewing your phone screen on the monitor like MyMobiler for WM. Has that been fixed?

I haven't tried anything too complex yet - my repeating events are pretty clean - 3 days in a row of 'X'. Will definitely let you know down the line. This is just day 2 for me with the phone. After reading all the web reports of sync nightmares to Outlook, I just had to pick something, dive in, and try to deal with it. We shall see...

I have been a die-hard PalmOS user for years, and even with that there were sometimes (big) sync glitches. Right now my plan is to backup my (huge) Outlook file before each sync. I only sync like once every week or so anyway, but when I do it I need it not clobber what is already there.

Verna

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones