1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Standalone messenger app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Evie_k, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Evie_k

Evie_k Lurker

My mother has been using the standalone messenger app on her phone for a while, and recently I created a Facebook account for her, and the standalone app disconnected from her local old phone 'account', and was forced to connect to the new Facebook one on her standalone phone app (it 'logged her out').

So now all her old 'phone based' standalone history is gone, and she wants it back - reconnect to it, as it has important messages from people she is not 'friends with' on her Facebook account. She does not want to use Facebook and has deleted her account, but the standalone phone app, still refers to the newer account, and not her old extensive standalone phone app history.

Is there someway to reconnect to the old account, or at least to find and save the cache, and possibly import the old entries into the new profile? She's on android 4ish from memory.

#1 Evie_k, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

This may be worth a shot:

From the homepage go into

Settngs
    Apps
    (settings pinwheel or 3 dot menu)

Find your SMS default app setting, and make it your preferred messaging app.

You may also need to go into that app's individual info page to clear the defaults.

Hopefully this will unlatch the app from Facecrook.

On a sidenote, make double sure her account has actually been deleted.
    There are numerous stories about how people have 'deleted' accounts only to discover that the accounts still exist.

3. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Another thing to try if the above does not help...

Blacklist Blocker (Block unwanted calls and/or SMS) - https://f-droid.org/app/com.kaliturin.blacklist

This is the messaging app that I use.
    Not only does it block unwanted calls, but it does messages as well.

Now why did I include it?

Because I remembered that when I switched my default messaging app from the stock one to Blacklist Blocker, all my old messages reappeared on the new app.

If this happens for you like it did me, then this can be very useful because you can then clear all data from the old messaging app without losing any messages.

This will reset the old messaging app back to default.
    Hopefully the messages will transfer back to it if you make it the default message app again.

Who knows, maybe you or she will like Blacklist Blocker better than the original app anyway.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Just to be clear, what do you mean by "standalone messenger app"? Do you mean the separate Messenger app from Facebook, which can be used without the Facebook app but not without a Facebook account? Or do you mean an SMS app, and that when you installed the Facebook Messenger you let it take over SMS handling (in which case all you need to do is set the previous app as the default SMS app)?

Just want to understand the problem, and I'm afraid the post has more than one possible interpretation.

svim, puppykickr and Dannydet like this.
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Just to add to what @Hadron posted, that 'the standalone messenger app' you referenced to is a little too vague and could apply to any one of dozens of text messenger apps.
    It might help if you stated just which text messenger app she was using previously, along with which carrier she uses. Both could be very relevant to this matter.
    Just offhand, if that 'the standalone messenger app' is referring to the stock messenger app that was on her phone, the odds are not very good to be able to restore old, deleted text messages and history. But again, providing more specific details rather than generic ones can make a difference.