• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Standby(Blank Screen) To Lock Screen Problem (Solution: Replacement)

toddpedersen

Jun 9, 2010
I finally saw someone else report this over at the Android Forum.

I thought it was just me. Basically, from Standby (Blank Screen) and pressing the power button to bring up the lock screen is hit or miss. Sometimes when I press the power button and my screen stays blank, but in low light situation, you can actually see very faintly that the screen is really on. If you swipe your thumb up to unlock the phone within about 10 seconds, the screen will come on eventually. If you tripple press the power button, it comes on immediately. This is a real problem for me when this happens on an incoming phone call, because you cannot hit the power button to bring the phone to live or you will send the call to voicemail. The same thing happens when on a call, the proximity sensor turns off the screen, and if I wait 8 to 10 seconds after pulling it away from my ear, the screen will com one eventually. I thought initially it was the proximity sensor screen shutoff program I had, so I removed it, then I thought it was my Screen Shutdown and lock program that I had, so I removed that also with no luck. What a PITA!

I noticed this happening right after the 2.3.4 update?

I also wanted to add that I am not rooted and using the stock 2.3.4 ROM.
I have tried many battery pulls and two factory resets have been attempted, during which time I tried to individually install my software to determine which one might be the culprit, but with no luck.

I have not yet called Sprint, as I have found them to be useless in the past.

Well over 30 days unfortunately, but still under the one year warranty.

I just did a factory reset again, and am installing software one at a time, to see if I can reproduce it. So far so good, it has gone away.

hi,
if you have performed a factory reset and it still behaves this way without installing any apps, the handset is defective. if you can reproduce it, show it to a sprint tech at a corp store and they should swap it out. you have insurance then you are good to go. if you are under your 30 days, return for a new device.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Just an update to my original post that my replacement phone works like a charm. Installed all previously installed software/phone settings etc., with no delay in bringing the phone back to life.

I finally saw someone else report this over at the Android Forum.

I thought it was just me. Basically, from Standby (Blank Screen) and pressing the power button to bring up the lock screen is hit or miss. Sometimes when I press the power button and my screen stays blank, but in low light situation, you can actually see very faintly that the screen is really on. If you swipe your thumb up to unlock the phone within about 10 seconds, the screen will come on eventually. If you tripple press the power button, it comes on immediately. This is a real problem for me when this happens on an incoming phone call, because you cannot hit the power button to bring the phone to live or you will send the call to voicemail. The same thing happens when on a call, the proximity sensor turns off the screen, and if I wait 8 to 10 seconds after pulling it away from my ear, the screen will com one eventually. I thought initially it was the proximity sensor screen shutoff program I had, so I removed it, then I thought it was my Screen Shutdown and lock program that I had, so I removed that also with no luck. What a PITA!

I noticed this happening right after the 2.3.4 update?

I also wanted to add that I am not rooted and using the stock 2.3.4 ROM.
I have tried many battery pulls and two factory resets have been attempted, during which time I tried to individually install my software to determine which one might be the culprit, but with no luck.

I have not yet called Sprint, as I have found them to be useless in the past.

Upvote 0
I figured it out. The exact thing happening you described is because of the tempurture surrounding the handset...think about it. I did a test in Vancouver in 5 degrees out side mid October ...and I got the problem, as soon as i warmed up my handset in an indoor room, didn't get the issue in the call view. When the phone warmed up to room temperature ..the problem is completley gone regarding the standby and lockscreen.

Upvote 0
Thanks for publishing your findings, but I don't see how what you discovered is related to the same issue I had. When I experienced the problems, my phone was operating in temperatures around 70F, with no drastic high or low temperature changes. All I know is that my replacment phone is working perfectly.

I figured it out. The exact thing happening you described is because of the tempurture surrounding the handset...think about it. I did a test in Vancouver in 5 degrees out side mid October ...and I got the problem, as soon as i warmed up my handset in an indoor room, didn't get the issue in the call view. When the phone warmed up to room temperature ..the problem is completley gone regarding the standby and lockscreen.

Upvote 0
Whenever the screen is warm it doesn't happen at all, as soon as the screen gets a little cold it starts happening again, I'm thinking this might be due to the qhd screen and a temperture threshold ...its annoying but doesn't mess me up that much I just hit the power button a few times and it comes back on...i believe it is definitely the temperature...would love to get some feedback from HTC on this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones