1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Starship ROM: Using camera causes phone to crash

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SyberTiger, Dec 26, 2012.

1. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Newbie

I don't think the cause is Starship. I never had a problem before with the camera. However, when I use the camera now the phone crashes. I have to remove the battery to get the phone working again. I think this could be tied to the flash. I took a pic with the flash disabled and it didn't crash. Then I enabled the flash. The camera flashed and made a "click" sound but then the display went blank. The phone appears to be dead. The power button can not get the phone to come back on. I have to remove the battery again.....

The Starship o/s was loaded about two months ago. I believe it was the latest before the Xmas addition became available. I've used the camera a number of times in the last few month before this problem showed up.

Advertisement

2. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert

Have you used the torch app? It should make the same calls. Give it a try and let us know

3. piper_

piper_ Well-Known Member

I have used both the "old" starship and the newest one (loving this xmas one) and don't have any problems with the torch or camera as a matter of fact I just took pics of the 12+ inches of snow we got

4. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Newbie

Well, I'm mystified. I tried out Torch. No problems and worked great as normal. Then I used the camera with the Flash disabled. It worked great as normal. Then I turned the Flash on and took a picture. No problem. I took another pic with the flash on....no problem. I took one last pic with the flash on then I received a warning about low battery. I could have sworn my battery had at least 50% when I tried this experiment. Now I'm confused. When the problem first happened yesterday I will also insist the battery had more than 50% before it just shut off and locked up. I'm starting to wonder if this is just some sort of random and hard to repeat problem.

5. GadgetGator

GadgetGator Newbie

I'm having a very similar problem using a stock unmodified Triumph. It started having this problem in Oct. It seems like if the battery is around the 50% or under mark it thinks it doesn't have enough power when the flash fires and the phone crashes. If I wait awhile, and then reboot everything is fine. Perhaps the battery is failing, I don't know. Nothing seems different in any other regard and I get just as long of battery life as I always have. The only problem is when I use the flash. It's a really annoying problem.

6. RobertsDF

RobertsDF Newbie

I had this happen to me last night. My battery was at 25% and I took a picture with flash. As soon as the flash went off my phone immediately said the battery was low and shut off.

7. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert

Yeah, I modified the shutdown process to compensate for what I was experiancing on our ROMs (not sure about the Starship ROM, though). On my mod the phone will wait 5 seconds before shutting down. That way it would have time to save the picture first. I think it has to do with a power profile setting or something. I know our power profile was never setup properly. I just don't know how it should be set up.

8. GadgetGator

GadgetGator Newbie

Strangely, I have never lost a picture when it has done this. Just the ability to take any more pics anytime soon. So annoying and I can't believe that Motorola attached it's name to this phone with all the problems. It could have been a really great phone out of the box if they had only put a wee bit more work into it.

9. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert

I don't think there is another MT owner that would disagree with you, me included.
    GIVE US THE FULL SOURCE CODE!!!

10. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Newbie

I just pick up a Samsung Galaxy S2 from RadioShack yesterday. They have a 30 day return policy. I think I'm going to evaluate the SGS2 and compare it to the MT. I'm getting a bit annoyed with the MT for the following reasons:

1. Long time for GPS to lock on.
    2. Camera causing MT to lock up. Have to remove battery.
    3. Power switch (turn the screen on) intermittently doesn't work when I want to use the phone.
    4. Randon lag times when trying to make a phone call. Sometimes I press a button and it takes 5 seconds for the MT to do react.
    5. Poor reception in many, many locations.
    6. Speaker phone is basically useless. Even when using it while on a phone call put on hold it breaks up the audible transmission constantly.

I think the issue with the camera causing the phone to lock up may have been the last straw for me.

Back before the day of Android O/S I was always impressed with Samsung hardware. However, I always thought the user interface and their software/firmware sucked to the point I didn't want to use their phones. I'm hoping that Android fixes this deficiency in Samsung cell phones.

11. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert

If I had money, I'd be with you. I love the screens on them.