• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Starship ROM: Using camera causes phone to crash

I don't think the cause is Starship. I never had a problem before with the camera. However, when I use the camera now the phone crashes. I have to remove the battery to get the phone working again. I think this could be tied to the flash. I took a pic with the flash disabled and it didn't crash. Then I enabled the flash. The camera flashed and made a "click" sound but then the display went blank. The phone appears to be dead. The power button can not get the phone to come back on. I have to remove the battery again.....

The Starship o/s was loaded about two months ago. I believe it was the latest before the Xmas addition became available. I've used the camera a number of times in the last few month before this problem showed up.

I don't think the cause is Starship. I never had a problem before with the camera. However, when I use the camera now the phone crashes. I have to remove the battery to get the phone working again. I think this could be tied to the flash. I took a pic with the flash disabled and it didn't crash. Then I enabled the flash. The camera flashed and made a "click" sound but then the display went blank. The phone appears to be dead. The power button can not get the phone to come back on. I have to remove the battery again.....

The Starship o/s was loaded about two months ago. I believe it was the latest before the Xmas addition became available. I've used the camera a number of times in the last few month before this problem showed up.

Have you used the torch app? It should make the same calls. Give it a try and let us know

Upvote 0
Have you used the torch app? It should make the same calls. Give it a try and let us know

Well, I'm mystified. I tried out Torch. No problems and worked great as normal. Then I used the camera with the Flash disabled. It worked great as normal. Then I turned the Flash on and took a picture. No problem. I took another pic with the flash on....no problem. I took one last pic with the flash on then I received a warning about low battery. I could have sworn my battery had at least 50% when I tried this experiment. Now I'm confused. When the problem first happened yesterday I will also insist the battery had more than 50% before it just shut off and locked up. I'm starting to wonder if this is just some sort of random and hard to repeat problem.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm mystified. I tried out Torch. No problems and worked great as normal. Then I used the camera with the Flash disabled. It worked great as normal. Then I turned the Flash on and took a picture. No problem. I took another pic with the flash on....no problem. I took one last pic with the flash on then I received a warning about low battery. I could have sworn my battery had at least 50% when I tried this experiment. Now I'm confused. When the problem first happened yesterday I will also insist the battery had more than 50% before it just shut off and locked up. I'm starting to wonder if this is just some sort of random and hard to repeat problem.

I'm having a very similar problem using a stock unmodified Triumph. It started having this problem in Oct. It seems like if the battery is around the 50% or under mark it thinks it doesn't have enough power when the flash fires and the phone crashes. If I wait awhile, and then reboot everything is fine. Perhaps the battery is failing, I don't know. Nothing seems different in any other regard and I get just as long of battery life as I always have. The only problem is when I use the flash. It's a really annoying problem.

Upvote 0
I'm having a very similar problem using a stock unmodified Triumph. It started having this problem in Oct. It seems like if the battery is around the 50% or under mark it thinks it doesn't have enough power when the flash fires and the phone crashes. If I wait awhile, and then reboot everything is fine. Perhaps the battery is failing, I don't know. Nothing seems different in any other regard and I get just as long of battery life as I always have. The only problem is when I use the flash. It's a really annoying problem.

Yeah, I modified the shutdown process to compensate for what I was experiancing on our ROMs (not sure about the Starship ROM, though). On my mod the phone will wait 5 seconds before shutting down. That way it would have time to save the picture first. I think it has to do with a power profile setting or something. I know our power profile was never setup properly. I just don't know how it should be set up.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I modified the shutdown process to compensate for what I was experiancing on our ROMs (not sure about the Starship ROM, though). On my mod the phone will wait 5 seconds before shutting down. That way it would have time to save the picture first. I think it has to do with a power profile setting or something. I know our power profile was never setup properly. I just don't know how it should be set up.

Strangely, I have never lost a picture when it has done this. Just the ability to take any more pics anytime soon. So annoying and I can't believe that Motorola attached it's name to this phone with all the problems. It could have been a really great phone out of the box if they had only put a wee bit more work into it.

Upvote 0
Strangely, I have never lost a picture when it has done this. Just the ability to take any more pics anytime soon. So annoying and I can't believe that Motorola attached it's name to this phone with all the problems. It could have been a really great phone out of the box if they had only put a wee bit more work into it.

I don't think there is another MT owner that would disagree with you, me included.
GIVE US THE FULL SOURCE CODE!!!

Upvote 0

I just pick up a Samsung Galaxy S2 from RadioShack yesterday. They have a 30 day return policy. I think I'm going to evaluate the SGS2 and compare it to the MT. I'm getting a bit annoyed with the MT for the following reasons:

1. Long time for GPS to lock on.
2. Camera causing MT to lock up. Have to remove battery.
3. Power switch (turn the screen on) intermittently doesn't work when I want to use the phone.
4. Randon lag times when trying to make a phone call. Sometimes I press a button and it takes 5 seconds for the MT to do react.
5. Poor reception in many, many locations.
6. Speaker phone is basically useless. Even when using it while on a phone call put on hold it breaks up the audible transmission constantly.

I think the issue with the camera causing the phone to lock up may have been the last straw for me.

Back before the day of Android O/S I was always impressed with Samsung hardware. However, I always thought the user interface and their software/firmware sucked to the point I didn't want to use their phones. I'm hoping that Android fixes this deficiency in Samsung cell phones.

Upvote 0
I just pick up a Samsung Galaxy S2 from RadioShack yesterday. They have a 30 day return policy. I think I'm going to evaluate the SGS2 and compare it to the MT. I'm getting a bit annoyed with the MT for the following reasons:

1. Long time for GPS to lock on.
2. Camera causing MT to lock up. Have to remove battery.
3. Power switch (turn the screen on) intermittently doesn't work when I want to use the phone.
4. Randon lag times when trying to make a phone call. Sometimes I press a button and it takes 5 seconds for the MT to do react.
5. Poor reception in many, many locations.
6. Speaker phone is basically useless. Even when using it while on a phone call put on hold it breaks up the audible transmission constantly.

I think the issue with the camera causing the phone to lock up may have been the last straw for me.

Back before the day of Android O/S I was always impressed with Samsung hardware. However, I always thought the user interface and their software/firmware sucked to the point I didn't want to use their phones. I'm hoping that Android fixes this deficiency in Samsung cell phones.

If I had money, I'd be with you. I love the screens on them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones