• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Start importing your contacts, now !

Someone that already has an Android device should chime in, and correct me if I'm wrong....

But can I log into my Google account, and start creating my contacts ? That way, when I get Evo and sync with Google, I should be able to transfer all my contacts, correct ? (names, phone no., email, etc.)

I am an Android newb, so someone please advise. I'm pretty excited and would like to manually start punching in my contacts to Google from my current WinMo (ugh) phone :D

The only thing is when I did this from my Blackberry to my Incredible Google sync took all my last name first contacts and made them into first and last name. So now on my phone I have them alphabetized by first names instead of last. It ticks me off makes it harder to quickly find names in the contact list. There seems to be no easy way to convert them on the phone either.

Upvote 0
The only thing is when I did this from my Blackberry to my Incredible Google sync took all my last name first contacts and made them into first and last name. So now on my phone I have them alphabetized by first names instead of last. It ticks me off makes it harder to quickly find names in the contact list. There seems to be no easy way to convert them on the phone either.

I have the opposite happen on WinMo. Google took all of my First/Last contacts and keeps making them Last/First even if I run an app to change all of them back for me. When they re-sync they all go back to Last/First. It drives me crazy.

Upvote 0
I have the opposite happen on WinMo. Google took all of my First/Last contacts and keeps making them Last/First even if I run an app to change all of them back for me. When they re-sync they all go back to Last/First. It drives me crazy.

OMG, so after I posted this I went into GMail and decided to edit all the contact names by last name first name so when I get the EVO and connect it it would correct this on the new handset. So now im all finished doing this and I look at my Incredible and THEY ARE ALL CHANGED to last first and I didn't even have to connect the Incredible to the computer it did it in real time automatically through my Gmail account how cool is that?

Upvote 0
I did all my moves toward Google, in April, cleaned up my contacts, made all my groups, synced with google voice, set up my Google calendar, stufied the pop3 settings for my yahoo mail accounts, received a MOment to test out android for a week, pre ordered, shopping for cases & skins, keeping and eye out on the car dock, run the tutorials on how to set up & manage the phone, now just waiting, trying not to let the little guy on my shoulder convice me , that Best Buy will actually ship early,

Upvote 0
My contacts have been in sync with Google and Exchange (personal and work) for probably the last 3 years or so. Once you have a device that supports this it becomes one of those "well, duh!" moments. Syncing to a database on your desktop becomes an anachronism as you always have the latest copy of your info provided you have an internet connection.

Upvote 0
Check out google sync and you won't have to do it manually.

Google Sync for your phone

I can't get this to work fully. It syncs the contacts, but it loses the catagories. I have over 500 contacts, all organized into catagories. But when I look at gmail, all of the catagories (called groups on gmail) are gone.

I couldn't get the calendar to sync either, and tasks isn't supported.

Anyone know how to get this to work or know of another way?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones