• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Start media on my PC from my phone

Hi all, this is my first post but I definitely intend on utilizing your expertise to integrate my devices more completely.

Does anyone know of any app that would allow me to remotely start and/or control a video file stored on my PC from my phone? I am using Windows and my Xperia V3z. This doesn't need to be over WAN just when I am at home so I may start a movie from the couch without using the keyboard and mouse. Preferably I am looking for something which has a nice interface listing my files and directories and can run in the background of my PC. I have remote access through screen sharing but it becomes tedious to navigate to the correct folders. I am currently using VLC with VLC Direct Pro Free but unfortunately VLC does not have a good method of running in the background and the app currently requires VLC to be active on screen. I am open to switching to another media player as long as I can also access Steam Big Picture when I need to.

Definitely looking for any and all suggestions, thanks ahead of time!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones