• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Start over

Dave Estam

Jan 11, 2016
Happened before where battery was lasting maybe 5 hours from a full charge where normally all day at normal usage for me would still be 35% at bedtime. I ran cm security together with a few other apps that it recommended and deleted all sorts of stuff, then I deleted them all and restarted and has worked fine for many months.

Happened yesterday again where battery was discharging rapidly so did procedure again. It helped little but things are bugging me, the latest my texting/messaging app where the list is now just showing phone numbers and not the name of the contact which it did before. Going to phone app and selecting a phone number and trying to add it to contact now says contacts has stopped working - OK

Now the really buggie problem is checking app manager under "all" it seems to have twice the number of apps listed and most of them I don't know what they are. I use my phone as a phone, to access facebook/messenger, to text using messaging that came with phone and the odd weather info.

I know I am unable to delete all the apps that I don't recognize as I am lightly to delete stuff I might need.

So my question has to be can I delete everything and start over? All my files are backed up and I will loose nothing of any importance. Any suggestions please.

A. Here is a thread about optimizers/task killers like Cheetah Mobile and why you shouldn't use them:
https://androidforums.com/threads/p...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

B. Go to Settings -> Battery. After a full day does is show any apps using lots of power? If it's an app you downloaded and don't need uninstall it and see how your battery life is.

C. Factory Reset
1. From the Home screen touch Apps.
2. Touch Settings.
3. Touch the Accounts tab.
4. Touch Back up and reset
5. Touch Factory data reset
6. Touch Reset phone.
7. Touch Erase everything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones