• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Start Up programs

PeteThePete

Lurker
Jul 29, 2013
I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm new to using Android and haven't been able to figure this out for myself.

Is there a way I can disable programs from launching at start up? I mainly use my Nexus to watch films on my commute to and from work. I use VLC Media player for this.

When I turn my Nexus on and run an app like Advanced App Killer (or something like that) it shows that I have apps like Facebook, Google Play, Calendar, etc etc all running.

I'd rather not have these launching automatically unless I've opened them manually but can't see an option to change this.

I've tried installing a Start Up Manager app but nothing seems to have changed.

Thanks,
Pete

You're best just leaving things as they are tbh. The apps running in the background don't use much battery and don't really affect performance. If you get in to the habit of killing apps and stopping things from running at startup, that just leads to higher battery use or instability.

For a bit more info on task management and why stuff runs in the background, take a look here: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/335110-why-you-dont-need-task-killer.html

You can disable apps via the settings menu if you don't think you're every going to need them, would that be an alternative?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones