• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Starter phone for T-Mobile?

I need to get my wife a basic, inexpensive Android phone. Her Palm pda has died, and we just upgraded our family plan to have data on both lines, so I figure it's time to lose that old Nokia candy bar.

I noticed the HTC MyTouch 3G on Amazon going for around $125. Is there something wrong with these phones? Why would they be so much cheaper than any other Android I can find?

Any tips appreciated!

btw I'm using a Nexus One. My plan B is to bequeath it to her when the next Nexus comes out, assuming it has a MicroSD slot.

I need to get my wife a basic, inexpensive Android phone. Her Palm pda has died, and we just upgraded our family plan to have data on both lines, so I figure it's time to lose that old Nokia candy bar.

I noticed the HTC MyTouch 3G on Amazon going for around $125. Is there something wrong with these phones? Why would they be so much cheaper than any other Android I can find?

Any tips appreciated!

btw I'm using a Nexus One. My plan B is to bequeath it to her when the next Nexus comes out, assuming it has a MicroSD slot.

I definitely wouldn't go for a Mytouch 3G. That was my first Android phone, and let me just tell you its DREADFULLY slow. That's exactly why it's so cheap. Don't get me wrong it was a decent device, but it's definitely not worth paying for these days.

I would probably go for an LG Optimus T. It's probably one of the best budget phones on T-Mobile. Or if you are looking to spend somewhere closer to the $200 range you can easily find a Mytouch 4G or a G2 on Swappa.

Reactions: blisterpeanuts
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones