• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Starting an open source game, need some help

Hey everyone. I'm starting work on a new open source game (my first real android project too), and I need some help.

The game I'm working on is called Exterminoid, and it will be a galaga/space invaders type space shooter. From the readme: "Exterminoid will be a space shooter for Android phones in which you are part of a robot slave uprising traveling from the mining colonies on Mars to destroy Earth and the human menace."

Anyway, here's what I've done so far: http://github.com/micahflee/exterminoid

Here's a screenshot of it too: screenshot.jpg

It uses the Rokon 2d game framework, modified to support resolution distortion, which is my term for stretching everything on different resolutions than what I'm designing the game for. My Droid has a different aspect ratio than other android phones, so rather than just having a piece of the screen cut off or not used, I made it automatically stretch.

This is my first android project, so I'm still getting used to everything. I made a MainMenu activity with a moving starfield in the background and several buttons that change colors when pressed. The only one that does anything yet is the Play button, and it loads the Game activity. The Game activity is rather bland now -- just a scrolling starfield in the background and a player sprite.

But my problem is that the Game activity doesn't actually load correctly. It loads, then there's a blank screen. Looking at LogCat (I told it to log each activity callback), it says that the MainMenu has stopped, and Game has started. Then I press the back button, and it shows the Game activity, but LogCat says that Game has stopped. I don't really understand why.

Can anyone grab the source code and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Also if you need more info I'm happy to post the code snippets here. Thanks so much!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones