• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Starting over on Droid X

santangelo

Aug 24, 2010
I'd like to un-root so I can install the last OTA, figured I'd re-root afterward. But somewhere along the way I must have deleted a file or something because I always end up with "Update Failed" once the phone restarts.

But then I was thinking, it'd be nice to save any of my movies/pics/etc and then just wipe the phone completely, including formatting the SD card, and start from scratch. The only thing I really care about "losing" is my contacts, and I used Backup Assistant, so ...

My question is, if I'm rooted and have apps frozen with TB, can I just reset the phone from recovery, or do I need to unfreeze those apps and unroot the phone first?

Not sure why you would want to update to 621 but that's your business. You can just sbf to the latest 4.5.621 update using rsdlite. Here's a link to files you'll need http://rootzwiki.com/topic/331-guide-flashing-droid-x-sbf/ doing an sbf won't touch anything on your sdcard. After your on 621 here's a link to some good info on getting yourself rooted and installing custom roms if you're interested in that http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/45783-important-info-621-update.html

Upvote 0
Great idea on just updating the radio it helps alot with getting better reception. You'll have to sbf to froyo to do that then sbf back to gingerbread using the KDS linux iso method. Don't sbf back to gingerbread using rsdlite or it will change your radio back to 13p. You can sbf to froyo using whatever method you want. As far as keyboards go have you tried a different keyboard? I use SwiftKey and it works great. You can also try clearing the data in your keyboard app by going in the phone settings >applications >manage applications > then press the (All) tab and find the multi touch keyboard and press the clear data tab and see if that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones