• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Starting PPP connection to phone

greasefire

Lurker
Sep 16, 2012
I'm trying to get ppp networking going between my Ubuntu 12.04 laptop and my Thunderbolt using adb. I'm using this command:

Code:
sudo adb ppp "shell:pppd nodetach noauth /dev/tty" nodetach noauth noipdefault notty 10.0.0.1:10.0.0.2

That creates a ppp bridge just fine, with endpoints showing up on my laptop (10.0.0.1) and my phone (10.0.0.2). The problem is that I can't seem to get any traffic across. I can't ping either from my computer to the phone, or from my phone to the computer via the adb shell. I started sshdroid on my phone and verified it was listening on 10.0.0.2 with netstat, but I can't reach that either (thinking maybe just the ping traffic would be blocked).

My phone is rooted, and eventually I'd like to tether/reverse tether, but right now I'm just trying to get a network connection going over USB. I can log in to the shell on the phone and just execute the pppd command and see gibberish, suggesting that maybe things on the phone end are fine, but I'm not really sure. Has anyone else had any issues with this?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones