1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root starting to root my phone...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by corybantic, Apr 14, 2011.

1. corybantic

corybantic Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    I've just started rooting my phone using the "ROOTing for Dummies" post. I'm at step 8 of the pre-rooting Section 1, it states that I have to uninstall all HTC related software. Does this mean I have to remove HTC software from my computer or I'm I supposed to access my phone and remove the HTC software from it?

Advertisement

2. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    Welcome to the forum good sir! Congrats on taking the leap into the wild blue yonder of rooting. The short answer is the former. Remove the htc synch software, retaining the drivers, and let unrEVOked do its thangy thang LoL As youve likely already discovered, do nandroid backups!!!!! Theyre your friend!!! Sounds like youre progressing along pretty well already, but dont hesitate to ask us anything!!! Theres quite a deep well of knowledge here, and we forumites darn near race to answer ?'s lol

corybantic likes this.
  3. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    So, I have to go to uninstall all HTC software, what if I don't have any on my PC? I went to the add/remove in the Control Panel and didn't see anything HTC related. Thanks for the response.

4. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    Not even a problem bud. Theres a software suite that comes with the phone (i think its on the standard sd card the phone came with) if you install it(which installs the drivers) then uninstall it(retaining the drivers) then youre good to go. I believe that the drivers are avaialble on the HTC site a-la-carte but, i cant recall. End result here is that you need the drivers, but you cannot have the software on your computer when rooting.... the 2 programs dont play well together lol. Youll be inundated with some tips n tricks once you get full root, but thatll come later. Once youre able to run unrevoked, theres a couple ways to tell if you have full root access 1: superuser icon 2: if you d/l the terminal emulator, and type in "su" without the quotes and hit enter ther $ icon should turn to a # icon... if you dont follow me on that , we'll readdress that later ;)

corybantic likes this.
  5. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    Hate to be a nuisence but, I don't know what your talking about. I actually got a bigger sd card for my phone last month (16gb), so if there was some pre-installed software, i don't think I have it. I also don't think I have any HTC software on my PC; do I need to install the drivers now or, do I do that with unrevoked later?

6. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    Dood, youre SOOOO NOT being a nuissance!!! Go to the htc site, and dl the synch software, install it, uninstall it(LoL), and then run unrevoked. Sounds like the redundancy department of redundancy is involved here, but yeah lol i think the drivers are available on their site a-la-carte. I got a 16 gig card too, but did you discard your original one? the 8 gig that came with it?

corybantic likes this.
  7. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    No, I still have the original and I copied all of the files from that one to my new 16gb. Since our last communique, I've been able to root my phone! UnrEVOked just finished booting up and now I'm gonna start on Section 2 of "ROOTing for Dummies." Thanks for your help!

8. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    you musta had the drivers, or windows found em automatically lol

no sweat man. oh, heres a lil tip, there are a few diff types of roms(the operating system our phones use) sense based, and aosp are the main 2. avoid the AOSP at first, theyre kinda buggy and require user action to make them work properly. Heres my advice, try out Konis Elite Series 3. Its soopah slick, fast, looks good etc etc. Konikub just does great work, and yes, im advising on using a rom that i dont use lol youll get many different opinions on what rom to use, but i have yet to find ANYONE who dislikes ES3.

corybantic likes this.
  9. GoofyGirl

GoofyGirl Member
    None

Oct 15, 2009
    So Oregon Coast
    Welcome to being rooted!!! You will not regret your choice!!! I'm fairly new to the root world and my first rom was Kings UNleashed R2 - it's awesome - no bugs, quirks or effort at all. As previously stated you will get lots of tips and hints about which one to use - the beautiful thing about root is - YOU CAN TRY THEM ALL!!! :D Enjoy!!

corybantic likes this.
  10. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    very correct! one of my favorite things about being rooted is the seemingly endless possibilities. Something i cant stress enough is that b4 you change anything on your device, do a nandroid b/u, and also do b/u's when changing roms. Also take the backup file created and copy it to your computer for a b/u of your b/u.... trust me on this....

edit: i like the nick goofygirl LoL

corybantic and GoofyGirl like this.
  11. GoofyGirl

GoofyGirl Member
    None

Oct 15, 2009
    So Oregon Coast
    Awesome cuz I LOVE your nik - youdoofus!! lol

12. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    Well arent you a couple peas in a pod here...goofy and doofus, 2 of the seven forum trolls... :)

13. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    aye ;) and troll we shall! Troll we shall indeed!! :D
    and Evom the troll moderator shall troll along side us

14. mbancroft

mbancroft Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    yo
    yo
    God reading this thread I am a little jealous... I rooted on cold lonely night with no idea this forum existed. I about pulled my hair out that day.. would have loved to have this tender love you guys are showinglol................. here.............

15. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC

Lol the moderator of the seven trolls...wouldn't that make me snow white?

Tags: