• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Starting up

Hey guys. I've been wanting to write apps for android for a while now. I know many web based languages but never really learned Java.
As I learn Java it's obvious to see that it's an easy language. However when I look at examples of Android apps I don't really see the similarities.
Could someone explain to me the relationship between Java and and the Android SDK?
Also, I really don't understand the XML involved for the interfaces. Isn't XML only used to transfer data and not display it?..
Thanks in advance.

The android SDK is a set of libraries and tools used in the development of an android application.

You say you know web languages? Have you never noticed the similarities between HTML and XML?
XML is a language to define structures. This can be used for data which has to be transfered between different applications but also for structure like in HTML and XAML.

The Developer's Guide | Android Developers
This is the developers guide which will teach you the basics of building android applications with the SDK.

Good luck and have fun.

-id

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones