1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Startup applications that hog memory

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trparky, Jul 17, 2011.

1. trparky

trparky Android Enthusiast
    None

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible if you somehow end up bricking your phone through the use of this app. If it sounds like an important app, it probably is; SO DON'T DISABLE IT! If you have questions about what apps are safe to disable on startup, go ahead and ask and I'll try to research if the app is important.

So I started digging around the Android OS and found that there were a number of things that were starting up at boot on my phone that was taking precious amounts of RAM on the phone. I found this by downloading and installing an app called Startup Cleaner 2.0.

These tips are for the seriously adventurous users because this dives into what are known as System Services/Apps.

If you have Slacker Radio installed on your phone, it loads a System Service/App. Why is this app requiring a System App? As you may have guessed, it doesn't require a System App to function at all. Find Slacker in the list of System Apps and tap the screen. It should now be highlighted in green.

As many of you know, Google has built-in navigation baked into the phone's OS but the phone also has Verizon Navigator. By the way, you have to pay for that service. If you don't use Verizon Navigator, find VZ Navigator in the list of System Apps and tap the screen. Again, it should now be highlighted in green.

If you use Google Voice for Voice Mail, you also don't need VVMService. Disable that too.

If you don't use the Swype keyboard (I personally hate it), disable Swype in the System App.

Now onto the easy stuff, the User Apps. As you probably guessed, there are some apps that you've installed that seem to startup on boot. For me there was Trillian, Weatherbug Elite, eBay, SpringPad, CardioTrainer, and BBCNews Boot Receiver. Yeah, these apps are all loading at startup.

After doing all of this I was able to free up about 75 to 85 MBs of RAM on the phone for use by other apps. The phone seems less sluggish now that I've tweaked these things.

Advertisement

keychain likes this.
  2. trparky

trparky Android Enthusiast
    None

Found another System App you can disable. Media Hub.

Media Hub is Samsung's proprietary media store. If you have no intention of using it, disable it using Startup Cleaner. Shaves off about 5 MB of RAM.

I know, a lot of people are going to think that doing all of this is about as useless as using Task Killers. I don't think so. Personally... since I've done these tweaks to my own phone I've noticed that the boot time for the phone has been reduced by about 10 seconds and memory usage after boot is about 75 MBs less than a stock boot.

3. robdroid33

robdroid33 Newbie
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    I have read some of the user reviews(in which I hold very little faith in) and many say that the apps start right back up after being disabled. Is this true or do they remain down?

4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None

If that's the case,I'd contact the developer of the app & ask why it is necessary for their app to start on boot &/or continue to start unprompted.You may also want to take a look @ the app START-UP AUDITOR.