• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Startup Apps Are Crashing... Why?

CriticalCritic

Android Expert
Nov 9, 2009
Cary, NC
I'm having an issue with my startup apps (the ones that I want to show) suddenly die right after startup. I start the phone and they begin to appear in the notification bar, then they all suddenly vanish, and I'm not getting any error messages when it happens.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is there a way to track what's happening during the startup that late in the process without rooting?

No, I do not have a task killer. I really do not know what is causing this and I don't want to reset everything. Many thanks for any help!

aLogcat, free, Market.

Displays system logs.

Also Android System Info does the same.

Pull the log after startup settles down, Menu->Pause (aLogcat) - then share to yourself in email, see what problems might be showing up in red or with an E/ at the beginning of the line.
Well, I was wrong, I do have an app killer... it's a plugin for Locale. It is supposed to only operate within Locale and only on 2 apps that I have specified.

But now after going into the logcat, I see that it is trying to kill pretty much everything that I downloaded after I downloaded the plugin! It's even trying to kill apps that I don't have anymore:thinking:

This is CRAZY!!! Here's a sample:
D/AutoKill( 666): Attempting to kill com.google.tts
D/AutoKill( 666): Killing: com.adobe.flashplayer
D/AutoKill( 666): Attempting to kill com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker
D/ActivityManager( 90): Uninstalling process com.google.android.apps.translate
W/ResourceType( 90): Resources don't contain package for resource number 0x7f070000
D/ActivityManager( 90): Uninstalling process com.google.tts
W/ResourceType( 90): Resources don't contain package for resource number 0x7f070000
D/AutoKill( 666): Killing: com.google.android.apps.translate
D/AutoKill( 666): Attempting to kill com.schwimmer.android.barcontrol
D/AutoKill( 666): Killing: com.google.tts
D/AutoKill( 666): Attempting to kill org.jtb.alogcat

It even killed the logcat! :( I dunno what's creepier, the aggressiveness of this random rogue app, or that 666 attached to it:eek:

I uninstalled it and everything is working great now. Thanks again for the info EarlyMon.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Edit, just figured out that this Locale auto-kill plugin is trying to kill EVERY app that was installed after it was installed! It doesn't try to mess with anything that I have had on my phone for a while...

Just tested my theory, sure enough, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and now that it's the newest app, nothing is getting killed! WEIRD!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones