1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Status Bar Data Arrow Indicators

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Deleted User, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Hello...trying to figure out if Android 4.4 has changed the data indicator arrows that appear under the 4G or within the wifi symbol that denote when data is being uploaded or downloaded. I've only had 4.4 on this phone and all previous versions of Android had these indicators. Is this normal or a problem with my phone?
    Thanks for any help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

It should be a change in 4.4

The data indicator arrows will show up in the quick settings pane, but were removed from the status bar to conserve battery (apparently it used significant CPU cycles to maintain)

If you're the rooting type there's likely Roms that have it enabled

3. dmiller2007

dmiller2007 Android Expert

Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

alostpacket had a great post on this subject here: http://androidforums.com/motorola-m...eleases-4-4-verizon-moto-x-2.html#post6280476

Key quote:

I rather agree. I find it useful to know that there is some activity going on at a glance. Even an iOS-ish spinning wheel in the status bar could alert you to network activity of some sort, even if it wasn't an arrow on each interface icon.

5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

That's why they got rid of the changing notification bar colors for displaying I'd you are connected to Google services, not the data indicators ;)

6. doogald

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

The status bar reason was confusion, not battery saving according to the article you linked (its the same one I had previously read that I was basing my comment on)

" In KitKat, the status icons are white all the time. If you want to see your status, it's in the Quick Settings and orange is used to denote no connectivity. Google did this primarily because most users didn't know what the colors meant."

8. doogald

You're right. I get one demerit for reading comprehension...

Rxpert83 likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm glad to know I can still see it in the quick pane at least. I think the arrows are a useful feature, especially if you're traveling out of a signal range, they kind of clue you in to losing a signal.

Rxpert83 likes this.

Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2200mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews