• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stay away from AT&T - Crooks

suprsidr

Jul 25, 2010
Just got my monthly bill from the crooks over at AT&T.
With my iPhone, I complained about paying $.20/TXT MSG, so when I got my cappy the rep suggested I get a 200 msg package for $5/mnth - OK, that will save me some money.

So now I get my bill, and have $30 in extra TXT MSG charges.
Something called ICQ IM in other words Interner chat like AOL instant messenger, gmail chat, yahoo IM, MSN messenger.... are all rolled into the chat/TXT MSGing category and appropriately charged. - F'N CROOKS!

What the hell is my $30/mnth unlimited data plan for then?????

This is the classic nickel and diming our parents warned us about.

It's always blown my mind that they charge extra for TXT MSGs in the first place.
Think about it, each letter we text is 1 bit of data. So take the word "HELLO" - that's 6 bits of data. If I spoke the word "HELLO" over a digital voice connection it would be several hundred Kilobytes.
These crooks are just exploiting the tween texting revolution and we all have to pay.

Adding internet chat to the TXT MSG category is just another example of poor business practices by our service providers - Lookin' at you AT&T.

I called cust service and she told me that a text is a text.
I have three friends on AIM who I keep in contact with regularly.
Only one on gTalk ~10 msgs in the last month.

They charged me for ~270 messages @ $.010

The AIM client I'm using is the built-in Instant Messaging that came w/cappy
That could be it. Prolly an AT&T app.

Anyone know of another android AIM client?

Upvote 0
I called cust service and she told me that a text is a text.
I have three friends on AIM who I keep in contact with regularly.
Only one on gTalk ~10 msgs in the last month.

They charged me for ~270 messages @ $.010

The AIM client I'm using is the built-in Instant Messaging that came w/cappy
That could be it. Prolly an AT&T app.

Anyone know of another android AIM client?

theres one called AIM... (its from AOL)

Upvote 0
I use Meebo... it's great aside from how often it randomly disconnects.

Anyways, text messages are a scam and how cell carriers charge for them is downright criminal. Hopefully we get to the day where "texts" are rolled into "data"... which reflects reality and is how it should have been from the beginning.

Can you imagine if you paid $50/mo for your "unlimited" DSL/cable internet... but they tagged on $0.10/email in-addition to that? People would be up in arms... yet these same people bend over and pay the extra fees for the same treatment on their cell phone plan.

I use email and IM on my phone. Screw text messaging and the greedy cell carrier bastards.

Upvote 0
I have the unlimited family plan with 700 minutes and unlimited text messages. My bill started off $149 And now it's $170. Nothings changed and I don't go over my minutes cause I have over 3000 rollover.

$149?

I wish...I'm hovering in the $260/mo range, 4 lines, 1400min, A-List, 2 x $30 unlimited, 2 x $25 2GB data, family unlimited texting(SMS/SMS/IM)

Had to kill the landline to be able to afford my kids having data.
I mean, it's almost criminal nowadays to have a 17yo and 18yo, and not have smartphones w/ data :)

T

Upvote 0
FYI - if using Google Voice for messaging...

In Settings...Phones (in the Google Voice web client), make sure you DEselect the box to "Receive text messages on this phone."

Then on your phone, you can select Google Voice as your default messaging app, and they'll be "invisible" to AT&T. If you have the above-mentioned box checked, it WILL count as a text as far as AT&T is concerned.

Also, Google Chat does NOT count as messaging.

Upvote 0
$149?

I wish...I'm hovering in the $260/mo range, 4 lines, 1400min, A-List, 2 x $30 unlimited, 2 x $25 2GB data, family unlimited texting(SMS/SMS/IM)

Had to kill the landline to be able to afford my kids having data.
I mean, it's almost criminal nowadays to have a 17yo and 18yo, and not have smartphones w/ data :)

T

I had got two iphone 3G at the time with a 15% discount

Upvote 0
The built-in IM app had a bold "AT&T Instant Messaging" title across the top of the screen.
It also says "request could not be completed while Wi-Fi is on" so they are forcing this app through their own service.
Uninstalled.

Still think AT&T are crooks.

yes, that is crooked. They deliberately deceived you by using specific terminology (IM) to describe an app that uses a very different, specific terminology (SMS). I would call and bitch about false advertising, FTC and FCC until they credit your account. Let them know that you are voicing your complaints on the blogs. Even bloated behemoths like ATT are waking up to the fact that their customers are talking to each other out here on the inter-tubes...

Upvote 0
I had got two iphone 3G at the time with a 15% discount

Mine's ALSO with a 15% Premier discount! :eek:

Figure $68 ($80-15% on 1400min) + data $51 ($30+$30-15%) + more data $42.50 ($25+$25 - 15%) +$30 unlimited family messaging + $30 (3 additional lines) adds up to about $221, plus avg 16% taxes = around $255-260 or so...

Crap adds up FAST!

Never in my wildest dreams, did I think I'd EVER be paying $250/mo for wireless service...

T

Upvote 0
sorry to brake this to you all but all carriers do this. I work for big red (yes i have a cappy because no recep in my house, but thats another discus) and some IM apps will work under the sms umbrella. this was done from a regular phone stand point. this way reg phones have the opportunity to IM since most have some type of text plan. Also a SMS is not DATA!!!!!!!!! it works over the voice network. I wont go into detail but just think about this... CDMA users cant talk and surf the web at the same time (unless ur on wifi) but yet you can talk and text at the same time, again this is because SMS uses the voice side. However MMS does use the data side to get those photos across, however carriers combined them because from a customer stand point a text message is a text message is a picture message is a video message. yes in the old days txt was sent via the data side but no longer. And since txt is not a call or directly access the internet they will have it on its own category and will always charge for it because of this, theres other reasons to charge for txt but its not relevant to this topic.

Upvote 0
They give me a 15% discount because of my employer but they only apply it to my phone, not to my wife's, even though we're on a family plan. Is this right or do I need to call them up and have them put it on all of our service? It looks like Sharkonwheels is calculating a 15% break on all services?

its really based off of the agreement at&t has with that company. For most the emp discount will be off the prim line minute plan price and any data plan that is 29.99 (it might be 24.99) or higher. Im wondering though with the new capped data plans at $25 if the discount is on 29.99 or higher then it wont cover that. Now THAT IS BEING A CROOK!!!

(edit) i am sorry if my shorting of words may show up from time to time. Im use to notating accounts in short hand and so it comes out with certain words from time to time, and im lazy :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones