1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Stay with X2 or get Droid 3 or bionic with they come out?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by i_am_booked, Jun 7, 2011.

1. i_am_booked

i_am_booked Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    since the x2 has soooooo many issues that constantly need work arounds. should i ditch it when the droid 3 or bionic come out?

Advertisement

2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    I liked the x2 when i saw it in the store. It was amazing and beautiful. However, i'm waiting to see this next generation (targus, bionic or whatnot).

3. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    My wife's X2 has been great, and she's loving it....

However, the two phones that I would wait for are the Samsung Galaxy S II and the Bionic, and the D3 if you're into keyboards. But you gotta be patient, the Galaxy and Bionic may not show up until August/September...I'm leaning towards the Galaxy if it comes out w/4G on Verizon, sounds like a very cool phone, awesome battery life.

4. Hypo Luxa

Hypo Luxa Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2010
    Earth
    The CS at Verizon told me about a week ago that the Bionic may be scrapped altogether due to a large number of issues. Considering the source, I don't take their word as gospel, but if there is any truth to the large number of bugs, that might be something to consider when looking at them.

5. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Real simple for me. IF the issues are fixed with the DX2, I will buy it again. Catch is, WILL they fix the issues and WHEN? The only other device I am interested in that should release before Fall is the Bionic. Catch there is that unlike the Infuse that has a more battery friendly amoled display, the Bionic has a 4.5" lcd display. Who is kidding who? Dual core + 4.5" qHD lcd + LTE = Many battery threads

The OMAP dual is more powerful than the Tegra 2, but consumes about the same power. Do the math folks ;)

The more I think about the likely battery issues Motorola is dealing with ATM, the more I doubt the Bionic will be released before September. The power needs just do not add up to an efficient device.

6. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Ohio
    the x2 isn't perfect, but what phone is really?

i've been 90% happy so far, it does have it's little quirks and annoyances but it's no big deal.

7. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

You are a more tolerant person than I am :)

8. rankman

rankman Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Im with armored saint... I haven't had any problems but I don't focus on trying to find any bugs ether. Im keeping the device and waiting for gb.

9. brocja01

brocja01 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    I would have no issues keeping the X2 if it didn't constantly reboot. I haven't had any slow downs (probably because it constatly reboots) and the music pops (have no music on the device itself, stream all content from google) was almost flawless. Actually listened to music and use navigation yesterday in the car and didn't have any poping or skipping of songs. Just can't get the phone to stop rebooting. Any who is having the rebooting issues, were you running Google Voice by chance?

10. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    I've been reading all the negative comments about the X2 this week and as I am approaching my 14 day return deadline this weekend, I must admit the "talk" is making me very critical of the hardware.

But the fact is that I must use my phone differently than others here. Coming from the rooted D1 with a broken charging port and rapidly decreasing battery life, I have been loving the X2. I easily make it through a day on one charge and that includes 2-3 levels of PvZ and 2-3 *hours* of using Google Maps (with the screen on almost constantly).

With bloat frozen on a rooted X2 and that script solution posted in another thread run just once, I have not had many of the problems mentioned here. Although I do not listen to music frequently on the X2, I have used Slacker via Bluetooth in the car without any problems. My phone has rarely gotten warm to the touch. I have had two unexpected reboots in two weeks; once after charging overnight from a dead battery and once when first running Let's Golf 2 (which has since been uninstalled). I am curious about the "missing" RAM, but honestly, I have had no lag issues with Launcher Pro and all my apps seem to run fine so I can't complain too much. I lost sync with corporate email at one point but removing and re-adding the account seems to have fixed that problem.

Perhaps I'm fortunate as I have a family plan where I will have the opportunity to replace the X2 with a new device using another line's upgrade a year from now at which time I expect 4G hardware to be less of a battery hog. In the meantime, I am convinced there is nothing better than the X2 on sale now with Verizon. While it would be nice if Motorola offered unlocked bootloaders again, I'm OK with not being able to flash custom kernels (as long as I can have the root features I currently have on the X2.)

With that said, the X2 is a keeper for me. I hope some of you decide to stick by the hardware as well. I'd hate to share these forums with the crickets...

11. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I think most folks agree the hardware is great, but the firmware for some of us has not faired well at all. If Motorola and VZW showed a sign that the issues would be addressed, I would have kept the DX2. I sensed quite the opposite.

Hope I am wrong, since if the issues were fixed, I would get another one.

12. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    I don't know how anyone could "sense" anything, with this phone or any other phone, Moto/VZW have been pretty much notoriously silent about issues from day one.

However, it is clear that over the past couple of years of the rise of Android :))) SW updates have consistently improved Moto phones after they've been released. That is true w/the D1 and D2, and X, etc., and will be true of the X2 when GB is released for it as well...the X2 will only get better, and like issues that appeared on initial release of other moto phones, issues will get resolved. (Though as noted, my wife has experienced few w/her X2.)

The original Bionic was cancelled weeks ago, and is scheduled to re-emerge in the August/September timeframe based on current guesses...it will have HW changes from the original cancelled phone (different CPU).

13. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I suggest perhaps none of the above:

Verizon Confirms July Launch Window for Samsung Galaxy S II

Wow, looks like the GS2 will beat a DX2 Gingerbread update and the Bionic. Considering the GS2 has a better and more power efficient display, 16gb built-in storage and Samsung actually sending dev phones to Cy mod and other rom modders, the GS2 may be the best bet IMO.

This came from WAAAAY out of left field. I thought this device was September, at best.

14. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    FYI - Verizon has announced Galaxy S II coming in July. No info if 3g or 4g, but I think I'm gonna get that sucka either way, assuming it's available via Costco, and hold on to it until the Bionic comes out, then decide if I want to trade for the Bionic.

15. fastpicker89

fastpicker89 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    Definitely getting the Galaxy SII. Even if the bionic comes out, just knowing that I'm not dealing with half-assed software from Moto is worth getting a similar phone to the DX2, except it's actually way better.

16. i_am_booked

i_am_booked Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    im not a fan at all with the touch wiz. i hated it on my fascinate. thats the only dislike about samsung. that droid bionic looks like it will be a beast, as well does the droid 3, but the 4.5" screen seems a little bit to big for a phone.

17. esmith818

None

Nov 15, 2009
    NC
    Yeah, that left fielder really threw a wrench in my plans to hold on to the X2. Now I'm waffling on my decision and trying to decide if the "July" drop is realistic or evil, evil rumor...

FALSE ALARM: No surprise that there was a miscommunication and the release date is not July. Sorry X2, didn't mean to turn my back on you. How about dinner and a movie to make it up to you? Now Droid, no need to act like that...

18. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    LOL

Sure, now that you need her again you're all nice and huggy...

19. rankman

rankman Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Lmao!!

20. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Every phone is perfect until it debuts. :p

oooooooooooooooo!

Root kills touch wiz :)

21. schmiddj

schmiddj Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    I returned my X2 today (14 days after getting it). I simply got fed up with the problems:
    -occasional reboots (twice during my ownership)
    -Pandora would randomly skip songs, sometimes many times in a row
    -Some pops and skips in audio, though not nearly as noticeable as they seem to be to others
    -EVERY time I unplugged it from my car charger it would still think it was charging, draining the battery in a few hours even if the screen was off
    -Occasionally would lock up after reaching full charge from the wall charger (I use the phone as a backup alarm in case power goes out, so this was unacceptable)

I'm OK with a phone that runs better after using root to modify it, but NOT with a phone that needs root fixes to run (even then, I couldn't find solutions to these problems). I went back to my rooted OG Droid with a shattered screen and it still felt like a breath of fresh air. How far we've come, Motorola . . .

Funny thing was I saw the Verizon "announcement" of the Galaxy S2 and immediately took the X2 back, only to see the updated announcement when I got home . . . :rolleyes:

22. esmith818

None

Nov 15, 2009
    NC
    Well, I suppose if anyone decides the X2 isn't as bad as all the negative vibes on this board, there should be plenty of refurb handsets available at reduced pricing after this week...

23. MrWilliams

MrWilliams Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    It seems like there's always a group of people that have major issues with new phones. I think most users are having a positive experience with the DX2 so far. People are MUCH more likely to make a post about a problem with their phone than they are about having no issues at all. Therefore, it always looks like everyone is having problems.

My DX2 is not giving me any problems at all. I'm coming up on 14 days owning it. I went by Verizon yesterday and spent about 2 hours playing with other devices trying to find one that I liked better. I left with the DX2 in my pocket. I for one am 100% satisfied with my purchase.