• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

STD Desire few questions

redbaron

Lurker
Nov 22, 2010
1st post so please be gentle....

I want to get a smartphone to upgrade my Nokia 6230, yes you heard it right Nokia 6230. I am a light user, mainly want to have a device that I can browse the net if/when needed in trains, while out, etc. Any voice plan will do for me. O2 would be the best option as I have broadband with them (discount monthly).

Last weekend I played with HTC HD7. CPW/o2 shop didn't have a DHD demo, but I could 'feel' the dummy handset. The both look nice, but I think the problem for me is the screen size which is massive. The Desire Z looks great but i am a bit concerned with the hinge snapping up and therefore end up with a broken phone. Having said that, I am very very inclined to go for the STD Desire.

My Qs:

1) Good deal on quidco at the moment (orange contract): Is it true that the HTC Desire warranty on Orange is only 1-year compared to other networks at 2-years?
2) Is the Orange SW bloatware or have they made available a plain Froyo 2.2 version?
3) Do I invalidate warranty if I unlock the phone? (Apparently Orange offers the service for

thank you all so far....

I will re-think about getting the Desire from Orange due to the bloatware....

Another Q:
Can I use the Desire connected to WiFi to make Voip calls, i.e., not using monthly voice allowance nor 3G? (justVoip is my provider and they do have an apps Android devices).

cheers

Upvote 0
I maybe a newbie, but i think going from a 6230 to any version of a desire will be revelation !,i've just got a desire on Orange and i'm more than happy,ok there may be a few double up on the apps with the Orange versions as well, but you learn to ignore them,and unless you use an "open" phone i don't think you'd notice any difference in the phones !

Reactions: redbaron
Upvote 0
I maybe a newbie, but i think going from a 6230 to any version of a desire will be revelation !,i've just got a desire on Orange and i'm more than happy,ok there may be a few double up on the apps with the Orange versions as well, but you learn to ignore them,and unless you use an "open" phone i don't think you'd notice any difference in the phones !
To be honest with you as a light user I have never felt the need to upgrade the phone (calls + txts). To be honest I've had 2x blackberries (work). It is more about keeping up with technology as I am IT professional.
Which deal did you get? Did you purchase the orange care insurance @

Upvote 0
I got the phone as an extra on my contract,22.50 (first month free) for 300 mins,u/limited texts and 500mb,also 5 quid off my old contract,i've got the Orange care i'd not normally go for these insurances,but with this phone it might be worth it especially as the sticker on the phone says remove from trouser pockets before sitting down or word to that effect!.One company to look at is mobiles.co.uk,all their phones are unlocked and they do some good deals.

Upvote 0
thank you all so far....

I will re-think about getting the Desire from Orange due to the bloatware....

Another Q:
Can I use the Desire connected to WiFi to make Voip calls, i.e., not using monthly voice allowance nor 3G? (justVoip is my provider and they do have an apps Android devices).

cheers

I don't know anything about justVoip but yes you can do VOIP on WIFI

Upvote 0
'I am a light user, mainly want to have a device that I can browse the net if/when needed in trains, while out, etc. '

just a warning, you will almost certainly find that you cannot get a good signal on the train, I havent found a single phone that can.

otherwise, the original Desire will be fine for you.

goodluck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones