• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Steam for Linux, can this throw Linux into the mainstream finally :o :D

I find this to be a bit crazy!!!

First I don't think a lot of the games which are on steams are Linux compatible which means they have to made compatible. Second Linux has a big problem with 3rd party drivers or I had that huge problem. For example Nvidia and ATI drivers there are numerous hoops people have to jump through to get the driver working.

My experience is filled with nightmares of stopping X server installing drivers - without removing the old ones and when finished not being able to start the x server nor the entire graphical interface.

Usually Steam needs to have the best and newest drivers installed so I wonder what will happen when people use the proprietary driver to play games in Linux.

I personally do not think this is going to work until the graphical issues and drivers get ironed out and become easier to install. But who knows may be this is the push companies need to start developing more useful deployment of packages (cough cough Nvidia).

Upvote 0
I find this to be a bit crazy!!!

First I don't think a lot of the games which are on steams are Linux compatible which means they have to made compatible. Second Linux has a big problem with 3rd party drivers or I had that huge problem. For example Nvidia and ATI drivers there are numerous hoops people have to jump through to get the driver working.

My experience is filled with nightmares of stopping X server installing drivers - without removing the old ones and when finished not being able to start the x server nor the entire graphical interface.

Usually Steam needs to have the best and newest drivers installed so I wonder what will happen when people use the proprietary driver to play games in Linux.

I personally do not think this is going to work until the graphical issues and drivers get ironed out and become easier to install. But who knows may be this is the push companies need to start developing more useful deployment of packages (cough cough Nvidia).

exactly what I was thinking. It's sort of a paradox as no one wants to develop games for linux due to these issues, however these issues don't get fixed because no one plays enough games on linux to create a large enough market to merit the fixes. Blah.

Reactions: alextop30
Upvote 0
Well if this could bring Linux mindshare/marketshare up a bit, maybe productivity apps can follow.
There are already plenty of productivity apps available for Linux, most of them free. What would increase Linux marketshare (in the consumer space) is if computers found on Best Buy, etc shelves come with Linux pre-installed. Alas, given past failed attempts, I don't see it gaining much traction - at least not when the price difference between a Linux desktop and similarly equipped Windows desktop is just $50 or less. Even amongst cheapskates, they still tend to go with the platform most familiar to them.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones