• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Steinheil Screen Protectors Now Available

Got my Crystal set over the weekend (finally).

Putting this on and not looking like crap is probably going to require you to go through the ridiculous sort of effort RTbar listed.

WAY too much/strong adhesive on the sticker to hold it with in the top left corner - *still* trying to get the gummy crap off. Tried peeling it off of the second one in the set as slow and carefully as possible and was still not able to avoid having a bunch of glue stuck to it.

some air bubbles will not go away. squeegee all you want, it's not going to fix anything.

corner where the sticker was will not seal down.

But... the parts that aren't completely screwed are nice. The screen is very clear and smooth. It seems to be at least slightly more resistant to finger prints and sweat making sliding your finger around difficult than the bare screen is.

Upvote 0
off topic, but:

sniperdroid..., how do you like that white case? do you have the link to where you purchased it? Thanks

I don't have a direct link right now ( I'm at work ) I got it off ebay. Check the " silicon case " thread, MsRandall posted a link at the wnd of page 2 to the same seller i got it from. Oh, and I like it! :D

*EDIT* here is a link to the place I got my case from, this is their listing for all EVO cases.
http://stores.ebay.com/Paw-Avenue_EVO-4G_W0QQ_fsubZ1572304011QQ_sidZ934274861QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

actually, discussion on that particular case can be found in this thread
http://androidforums.com/accessories-evo-4g/98673-quest-tightest-thinnest-evo-case.html

and i have a black one as well as a clear one and i love the clear way more because it's slick

&thanks for the pics sniperdroid. i think i'll stick with the clarivue for now. nothing wrong with it. also, waiting to see if they're gonna release the ultra fine and ultra oleophobic

Upvote 0
Wow these screen protectors look like they are made of high quality! I'm currently using the XtremeGuards from Ebay, and I don't like it that much. I'm starting to hate the "military grade" styles now, because they get sticky and dirty. How is the anti-fingerprint holding up? What's the difference between the anti and the ultraclear one? How much clearer can it get?

Upvote 0
Wow these screen protectors look like they are made of high quality! I'm currently using the XtremeGuards from Ebay, and I don't like it that much. I'm starting to hate the "military grade" styles now, because they get sticky and dirty. How is the anti-fingerprint holding up? What's the difference between the anti and the ultraclear one? How much clearer can it get?
here is my review http://androidforums.com/reviews-ev...inheil-sgp-anti-fingerprint-screen-guard.html

Upvote 0
I just ordered the Ultra Crystal based on comments in this thread (and a few others). Right now I'm using an Xtremeguard, purchased on ebay for $2.50 shipped. It has a tacky, rubbery feel that I will never be able to tolerate after using the Evo unprotected for two weeks. But it will do for the time being.

Now if I can just get a slim 2000mah battery and Otterbox Commuter. . .

Upvote 0
Got my Crystal set over the weekend (finally).

Putting this on and not looking like crap is probably going to require you to go through the ridiculous sort of effort RTbar listed.

WAY too much/strong adhesive on the sticker to hold it with in the top left corner - *still* trying to get the gummy crap off. Tried peeling it off of the second one in the set as slow and carefully as possible and was still not able to avoid having a bunch of glue stuck to it.

some air bubbles will not go away. squeegee all you want, it's not going to fix anything.

corner where the sticker was will not seal down.

But... the parts that aren't completely screwed are nice. The screen is very clear and smooth. It seems to be at least slightly more resistant to finger prints and sweat making sliding your finger around difficult than the bare screen is.

I just completely screwed up the application I guess.

There's a million bubbles that won't go away. And yeah, big, sticky, gunky mess where that sticker was.

Upvote 0
I'm learning the hard way. I didn't use a case and my Evo cracked at the top, the thin strip above the ear-piece by the volume button. Now I have a case. I just found a little patch of scratches so I ordered this.

I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, just setting the phone in the center console in my car. I did not think the wood case next to it could scratch glass this bad. I know it wouldn't scratch a window or something similar.

Upvote 0
I just received my SGP Ultra Clear and I am LOVING it! Much better than the WriteRight that I was using before. I think I have found my official screen protector (I heard that Boxwave is the "best" but really, SGP is fantastic).

RE Shipping: I ordered 2 packs of SGP Ultra Clear from the Steinheil eBay store on a Friday and received them in the mail on the following Wednesday. Just wait a day or so if the eBay store is "out of stock" (I did) because from what I have read in this thread, the eBay store handles orders more quickly than the official SGP online store...

RE Application: Take your time! Apply the screen protector EXACTLY how the directions say. Do not get creative or deviate from the application instructions. If you have bubbles or dust under the screen protector (so annoying) use the stickers that are enclosed in the package to lift the protector up and use another sticker to remove the dust particles, then slowly lower the protector back onto the screen. This process requires a little bit of patience.

RE Screen Protector Size: The Ultra Clear does not cover the entire screen, edge to edge. I aligned mine with the bottom of the phone, and there is about a millimeter of uncovered screen below the earphone and top edge of the screen. My front camera and proximity sensors are completely covered.

Upvote 0
I just received my SGP Ultra Clear and I am LOVING it! Much better than the WriteRight that I was using before. I think I have found my official screen protector (I heard that Boxwave is the "best" but really, SGP is fantastic).

RE Shipping: I ordered 2 packs of SGP Ultra Clear from the Steinheil eBay store on a Friday and received them in the mail on the following Wednesday. Just wait a day or so if the eBay store is "out of stock" (I did) because from what I have read in this thread, the eBay store handles orders more quickly than the official SGP online store...

RE Application: Take your time! Apply the screen protector EXACTLY how the directions say. Do not get creative or deviate from the application instructions. If you have bubbles or dust under the screen protector (so annoying) use the stickers that are enclosed in the package to lift the protector up and use another sticker to remove the dust particles, then slowly lower the protector back onto the screen. This process requires a little bit of patience.

RE Screen Protector Size: The Ultra Clear does not cover the entire screen, edge to edge. I aligned mine with the bottom of the phone, and there is about a millimeter of uncovered screen below the earphone and top edge of the screen. My front camera and proximity sensors are completely covered.

Do you happen to use a case with your EVO and the Steinheil? I am waiting for my Steinheil's to arrive and will be using a Seidio Innocase II Surface. I'm hoping the Innocase will overlap the edges of the Steinheil so that the edges are not visible. You said the cut was about a MM less than full screen so I hope the Siedio overlaps it. Anyone use the Steinheil Ultra Crystal and Seidio Innocase II Surface together that could tell me? Or perhaps a photo?

Upvote 0
Do you happen to use a case with your EVO and the Steinheil? I am waiting for my Steinheil's to arrive and will be using a Seidio Innocase II Surface. I'm hoping the Innocase will overlap the edges of the Steinheil so that the edges are not visible. You said the cut was about a MM less than full screen so I hope the Siedio overlaps it. Anyone use the Steinheil Ultra Crystal and Seidio Innocase II Surface together that could tell me? Or perhaps a photo?

Yeah. I just use the basic HTC silicone case that I bought from a Sprint store. When the case is on, the edges of the screen protector are covered around the bottom (where the buttons are) and sides. The only place where the screen protector is visible is directly under the earphone.

As I mentioned, I aligned my Ultra Clear with the bottom of the screen (because I'm more concerned about scuffing the area around the buttons than the upper screen) instead of the top. However, the Ultra Clear looks like it is cut so that it would fit the area around the earphone pretty tightly. Perhaps if you align the Ultra Clear with the TOP of the screen, the millimeter gap would be at the BOTTOM and you could cover that gap with your case.

In any event, I wouldn't let the size of the Ultra Clear deter you from buying it, or any of SGP's other products. They purposely made it smaller than the EVO's screen to (1) make it easier to install and (2) accommodate cases. Check and check! For what it's worth, I'm pretty OCD and the gap doesn't bother me at all...

Upvote 0
Yeah. I just use the basic HTC silicone case that I bought from a Sprint store. When the case is on, the edges of the screen protector are covered around the bottom (where the buttons are) and sides. The only place where the screen protector is visible is directly under the earphone.

As I mentioned, I aligned my Ultra Clear with the bottom of the screen (because I'm more concerned about scuffing the area around the buttons than the upper screen) instead of the top. However, the Ultra Clear looks like it is cut so that it would fit the area around the earphone pretty tightly. Perhaps if you align the Ultra Clear with the TOP of the screen, the millimeter gap would be at the BOTTOM and you could cover that gap with your case.

In any event, I wouldn't let the size of the Ultra Clear deter you from buying it, or any of SGP's other products. They purposely made it smaller than the EVO's screen to (1) make it easier to install and (2) accommodate cases. Check and check! For what it's worth, I'm pretty OCD and the gap doesn't bother me at all...
Thanks for your information. I ordered the crystal. I had a set of Steinheil crystal and anti-fingerprint for my previous phone, a Touch Pro 2. I was thrilled with both (though I much prefer the crystal) and the fit was excellent, I am sure the crystal for the EVO will be great.

Upvote 0
I just installed the Steinhel Utlra Crystal protector yesterday, and it's by far the best screen protector i've ever used. It's crystal clear, and doesn't affect the sensors or camera quality whatsoever. It's also not sticky or soft like others i've used. Glad they send 2 in a pack, i cheesed the first one 'cause i couldn't find the actual "protector" itself (too many layers lol). Fitment was on the smaller side which was a good thing, made alignment more forgiving. Mine is aligned evenly from top to bottom, but it's a little to the left more than to the right and i'm quite OCD (i was frustrated from messing up the first one). I actually had 0 bubbles in the middle at all, but 1 side and 1 corner wouldn't "attach" completely but you had to LOOK hard to see it. After an hour or two, everything smoothed over and now it's smooth as glass and crystal clear and every bit of it is solidly attached. I liked the fact they even included tape strips to remove dust if needed, awesome. I'm still awaiting my case from ebay to see how much actual screen will still be exposed.

Upvote 0
I just installed the Steinhel Utlra Crystal protector yesterday, and it's by far the best screen protector i've ever used. It's crystal clear, and doesn't affect the sensors or camera quality whatsoever. It's also not sticky or soft like others i've used. Glad they send 2 in a pack, i cheesed the first one 'cause i couldn't find the actual "protector" itself (too many layers lol). Fitment was on the smaller side which was a good thing, made alignment more forgiving. Mine is aligned evenly from top to bottom, but it's a little to the left more than to the right and i'm quite OCD (i was frustrated from messing up the first one). I actually had 0 bubbles in the middle at all, but 1 side and 1 corner wouldn't "attach" completely but you had to LOOK hard to see it. After an hour or two, everything smoothed over and now it's smooth as glass and crystal clear and every bit of it is solidly attached. I liked the fact they even included tape strips to remove dust if needed, awesome. I'm still awaiting my case from ebay to see how much actual screen will still be exposed.
How does it do with fingerprints?

Upvote 0
I just installed another ultra clear on a different EVO, and it came out perfect. It's really easy to do, as long as you prepare first.

I first took scotch tape and got any dust or dirt out of the seams of the phone with the tape. Then I gathered 2 microfiber cloths, a can of compressed air, some glasses cleaning spray. I then lightly misted the phone with the spray and cleaned it off with one of the microfiber cloths. I set the phone down on the counter of the bathroom on the other cloth, and turned the shower on and waited until the room was steamy ( I had removed the battery prior to doing this) Then I gave my hands a quick rinse, gave the phone a shot of compressed air, and peeled the backing half way off the protector.

I aligned it with the ear piece, which is the way I think it was meant to go. My last one I aligned the bottom, but I like the way it came out better by aligning the top. Since the room was so steamy, there were no specs or anything under the screen as I pushed it down with the squeegee card. While I was in there I also applied the phantom skinz body kit - the screen.

I powered up the phone, put the brightness to 100, turned on the flashlight so the screen was pure bright white, and there was not a spec on the screen.

I highly recommend this protector, its so smooth and glass like. It's really amazing how much easier it is to apply if you prep first and do it in a steamy room.

Upvote 0
How does it do with fingerprints?

Its a bit better regarding fingerprints IMO vs just the plain screen itself. I was always wiping off the screen as i could see the prints at any angle. With the protector on, i only see the prints at certain angles. I didn't use the anti-fingerprint protectors, so i expect to see some prints from time to time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones