• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector install and review

LOL the people complaining about the instructions remind me of the woman that was following googles walking directions, walked onto a major highway and got hit, then tried to sue google.

Dont just blindly blast through things without thinking about it, whatever color the pull tab is, you should get it started and make sure its the right one before you tear the entire thing apart.

Upvote 0
Hey nice thread on this product. I installed the SGP Ultra Clear 2 days ago. Easy dry application, no bubbles or dust (I have access to a cleanroom, which helps with that), perfect fit and the clarity is awesome.
My only complaint is the sticky texture when swiping, which is very noticeble coming from the AG protector applied at time of purchase by verizon. This is particularly bothersome when using the Swype keyboard, which I have grown to like very much.
In short, my two questions are these: does the finger swipe become smoother over time? and, how superior is the screen clarity compared to SGP Anti-glare product?

Upvote 0
Hey nice thread on this product. I installed the SGP Ultra Clear 2 days ago. Easy dry application, no bubbles or dust (I have access to a cleanroom, which helps with that), perfect fit and the clarity is awesome.
My only complaint is the sticky texture when swiping, which is very noticeble coming from the AG protector applied at time of purchase by verizon. This is particularly bothersome when using the Swype keyboard, which I have grown to like very much.
In short, my two questions are these: does the finger swipe become smoother over time? and, how superior is the screen clarity compared to SGP Anti-glare product?

Yes, finger swipe stickyness goes away within a couple of days. Mine is super smooth right now.

To answer your second question about comparing the two designs. The Anti-Glare will have a "matte-like" look to it. I know, like me, most prefer the clarity over anything else. We want the look like nothing is there, but with extra protection.

On a side-note, I cleaned my screen today using my sunglass wipe and noticed some scuff marks on the protector. I'm pissed! This particular brand is not very durable against scratches after all.

Reactions: corvac
Upvote 0
Try cleaning your screen with a small Microfiber cleaning cloth. I think you'll like the results

That's what my sunglass wipe is. And I'm not mad about the cleaning of the screen. I'm upset about the scratches on the screen protector itself. I guess it's doing it's job and protecting my screen, although I don't want the protector to get scratched either. Lame!

Upvote 0
That's what my sunglass wipe is. And I'm not mad about the cleaning of the screen. I'm upset about the scratches on the screen protector itself. I guess it's doing it's job and protecting my screen, although I don't want the protector to get scratched either. Lame!
Sorry that's happening. I have been using one "Microfiber" since I received my X with no ill results. In fact I have been using it quite often. The ones I purchased were 3M from eBay.

Upvote 0
After a week of use there are multiple, light, tiny scratches all over the protector, they are not SUPER obvious but I keep the thing in its own pocket, clean it with a microfiber, and baby it in general. Im disappointed but still cant complain about that clarity and smoothness

Isnt that the whole idea? Do you want a protector for the protector?
lol

The best part about the steinheil is the little decals they include to pick off any dust that you might get on there during installation, top notch product.

Upvote 0
Isnt that the whole idea? Do you want a protector for the protector?
lol

Im just used to the "wet application" type screen protectors, they aren't as clear but have that "self healing" aspect so there were never any small scratches to look at.

I will take ultimate clarity w/ small scratches over no scratches and orange peel at the moment though :)

Upvote 0
Recommend.....This is a very nice protector. Crystal clear

I have a method, and I'm sure that it will make some cringe, but it works for me. I used it with the Steinheil and it worked just fine again.

1.) Pull battery
2.) Clean the screen with an optical lens cleaner
3.) Wipe it down with the microfiber cloth
4.) Get a bowl of water and put in a few drops of liquid dish washing soap. (Don't stir too hard, no bubbles)
5.) Put on a pair of thin rubber gloves. (Doctor examining type)
6.) Remove protective cover on side that goes on the screen
7.) Place entire cover in bowl of water.
8.) Let the majority of the water drip off the cover. The water/soap works as a lubricant to move the cover if needed once on the screen.
9.) Place cover on screen, position as necessary
10.) Push bubbles out to side with credit card/wedge
11.) Remove the outside film from the cover.
12.) Reinstall battery

The water/soap helps to move if necessary and it helps get all of the air bubbles out.
It isn't dripping wet with water, so no damage to the phone.

just ordered the full wrap kit and will be following these instructions. thanks for the tips.

Upvote 0
one of the selling points of this protector for me was the dry application. tried zagg on my former evo and it wasn't much fun to apply stressing about the water.

just start at one end and smooth it down with your finger as you go. if it starts to develop a bubble, just lift it up slightly and start again. don't just apply it with the bubbles and think you're going to rub it out.

the key point i saw was making sure it lined up with one of the sides.

it's definitely one of the most clear and smooth protectors i've ever tried.

Upvote 0
Okay, this may seem like a stuipd question, but I can't figure out how to remove the "peel" sticker from the protector after installing. I tried peeling it off and its on their so tight that it began to stretch and tear the protector. Did I do something wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was able to figure it out. lol I feel like an idiot.

Upvote 0
I put a screen protector on top of my screen protector to protect the protector underneath.

More seriously, I just installed my Ultra Crystal. It is pretty nice, and I'm hoping that it doesn't get all scratched up. It is definitely nicer than a cheap-o ebay one.

Wow, now that's protection! Did you use the 2 that came with the kit? Any problems with the sceen sensitivity?

Upvote 0
Recommend.....This is a very nice protector. Crystal clear

I have a method, and I'm sure that it will make some cringe, but it works for me. I used it with the Steinheil and it worked just fine again.

1.) Pull battery
2.) Clean the screen with an optical lens cleaner
3.) Wipe it down with the microfiber cloth
4.) Get a bowl of water and put in a few drops of liquid dish washing soap. (Don't stir too hard, no bubbles)
5.) Put on a pair of thin rubber gloves. (Doctor examining type)
6.) Remove protective cover on side that goes on the screen
7.) Place entire cover in bowl of water.
8.) Let the majority of the water drip off the cover. The water/soap works as a lubricant to move the cover if needed once on the screen.
9.) Place cover on screen, position as necessary
10.) Push bubbles out to side with credit card/wedge
11.) Remove the outside film from the cover.
12.) Reinstall battery

The water/soap helps to move if necessary and it helps get all of the air bubbles out.
It isn't dripping wet with water, so no damage to the phone.

This is the same method used when installing vinyl lettering on cars. They use a spray bottle and mist the surface then apply the lettering using a squeegee to remove bubbles and excess moisture. Any residual moisture evaporates overnight.

Upvote 0
What installation method did you use?

Uhh the normal one I guess... not sure what other method there is. Just peeled off the one side.. stuck it on.. then peeled off the other side.

Not a single bubble or hair or anything got stuck. Crystal clear.

Only after installing this was I able to see how HORRIBLE the verizon screen protector made the screen look. Looks like going from dvd to blu ray

Upvote 0
LOL, screen condom.

I just got mine and I've only had my DX for 6 days now. Its all you could ask for in a clear screen protectors. Smudges and fingerprints don't both me as this is a touch screen phone. (i mean really). with the protector it cleans better than bare and I don't mind rubbing it against my pants or shirt as the screen is coated.

Great product and you have a spare and a free cleaning cloth (that I now keep in my cover). What more could you ask for

Upvote 0
Just got it and installed the Ultra Crystal protector, and man, it's good. :) I screwed up the first one, though. I tried to get out some bubbles without removing the plastic sheet from the front of it first (stupid!) and I must have pressed too hard and it cause a small break in the actual screen protector. When I removed it I worked out all the bubbles except one. That one bubble was literally a circle, but I couldn't remove it. I used the provided tape to pick it up and inspect it more closely and realized there was actually a small break, that just appearing to be circular on the screen. Couldn't see it at all when the screen was on unless you tilted it, but I knew that circle was going to drive me absolutely nuts when it was off; about 1/3 way up and in the center. Most people could probably ignore it and wouldn't even notice, but I couldn't stand it. I also did the steamy shower technique, but I didn't really have a flat surface that was easy to work on, so it caused more issues than resolved. So, I scrapped it and tried the second one. This time I waited to get all the bubbles out until I removed the front plastic, and perfect! And I just did it on a dining room table, which was way easier. Steamy shower doesn't seem necessary at all, nor does the wet method. As long as you line it up and use the squeegee properly, it's golden. I'm certainly glad they provide two!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones