• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Step by Step Rooting Instructions: for Huawei Ascend

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to say thank you to all the people who contribute to these forums.GREAT JOB!!!!. I just successfully rooted my wife's Ascend and my LG optimus M both from Metro PCS and it was all because of the help and advice i found here. I'm using Titanium backup and cpu boost for the time being. Now that my phones are rooted what other great apps or Roms can i run on these phones? I'm new to all of this so any other advice you guys give will be invaluable. To new rooters remember after you root backup before you start deleting bloatware..

Reaper4u.:cool:

Upvote 0
Hey I just need to know is it easy to root your phone? I am not computer slow so that isn't the case. Also, is it worth losing the warranty? and last question does it cost anything to root?

It's very easy if you follow the directions exactly as they are outlined in the Step by Step Rooting Instructions found in the 'All things Root' section of Ascend.

As for the warranty...you can always unroot your phone but you do take a risk that if something goes wrong and you can't get it fixed back that your carrier will not replace it.

Unless you are willing to pay for the Pro version of Titanium Backup so that you can freeze the apps you don't want instead of uninstalling them I would recommend that you wait until the Froyo comes out and see if you still want to root....or you might want to rethink rooting at all.

It can be done successfully but again...unless you follow the instructions to a T you can have probs with your phone.

I hope this answers your question.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to say thank you to all the people who contribute to these forums.GREAT JOB!!!!. I just successfully rooted my wife's Ascend and my LG optimus M both from Metro PCS and it was all because of the help and advice i found here. I'm using Titanium backup and cpu boost for the time being. Now that my phones are rooted what other great apps or Roms can i run on these phones? I'm new to all of this so any other advice you guys give will be invaluable. To new rooters remember after you root backup before you start deleting bloatware..

Reaper4u.:cool:

Thanks very much for the nice and positive feedback with regards to rooting. :)

Upvote 0
I downloaded CPUBoost. There is no option for a flat 600MHz. Is any selection in the 600 range work? These are my options: 614400, 652800, 691200 and in case of rounding up, 576000.

Which would be best to use?

Also, is Titanium the only back-up app to use? I see there are others, but no one has said anything about them

Upvote 0
Good luck with it hon. Sorry you had these probs. Read that guide and if you can't get any help there I know someone else who is a pro with Tibu!

Let me know what happens and if I can help you with anything else.

Nite now!

ya it still didnt work, according to everything i have read i think i might have some bad backups... so if i do a phone restore will that do it and if so how do you do it??? or can that possibly mess the phone up worse???

Upvote 0
I don't claim I know it all, but the little I know now has allow me to go a long way. After succesfully bricking my phone and bringing it back to life to root the phone I can say this. It is easier if you download the z4root app an putting it on your memory card with your pc. Just make a folder in your SD card and save the file there. I find myself more confident creating folders and putting files with a PC. You can also get other good free apps this way EX: Set CPU next find a file explorer [for your phone] of your choice (I use Andexplorer) and find the file and run it. It will install it automatically. TO sum it up my instructions would be as follows: 1. using your pc download z4root 2. Place the freshly downloaded .apk file on your memory card any way you wish. (I simply plug the phone to the pc transfer file, and I even create a folder for it to find it easier. 4. unplug your phone from computer (ensuring that battery is full) 5. Go to applications, then enable usb debugging mode, and allow unknown sources (non market applications) 6. Now use your file explorer app (in your phone) to find the place where you placed the "z4root.1.3.0.apk" file and touch it and it will install. 7. Go to your applications and run z4root in case you didn't run it after installation. 8. root the phone any way you wish, temporarily or permanently,Wait for the phone to do it's thing. I did temporarily and had no problems with the next steps. After rooting go ahead and search and install Titanium backup from the market (you can do the free version or the paid version) I recommend you to help the app developers by purchasing the pro version, but I used the free version and had no problems. 9. launch titanium back up and allow root acess through superuser. Next read the startup information that Titanium backup and download any updates. Next press "menu" button your phone and select "batch" Click on "run" under the "backup all user apps + system Data" Let it do its thing it will take a few minutes 10. Congratulations you are now rooted and all of your phone is backed up in your memory card. Now you can download and use SETCPU, and Cache Mate. !!!!NOTE if you somehow brick your phone, or want to return it to the way it came out of the box (MetroPCS) please see my thread " help I installed the wrong carrier framework" in this forum. I successfully brought my phone back to life.

Upvote 0
ROOTING YOUR PHONE IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO MAKE IT MORE FUN AND WORK BETTER!

Attrubution: Many thanks to joser116 for all the help he gave me which allowed me to be able to put this information together! Hopefully it will be helpful to many in the
future! :)

WARNING: There is no advantage to rooting your phone unless you want to customize your phone using apps which require root or you want to improve the performance of your phone by removing unnecessary stock apps (bloatware) that came with your phone that you cannot uninstall otherwise or you want to add some that will only work on rooted phones. If you do not follow the instructions exactly as they are outlined you can cause your phone to malfunction or even not work at all. If you have any doubts about your ability to do this PLEASE STOP NOW!

Also - due to difficulties that some users have when restoring with Titanium Backup, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you purchase the PAID FOR version of Titanium Backup and FREEZE the apps you want to remove rather than uninstall them. This is VERY important for those who are not technically savvy!!!

From the creator of this thread: I KNOW the following procedure works! But if you break your phone in the process, please do not blame me. Do this at your own risk!

ROOTING GUIDE:

CAVEAT: This will void your warranty!

1. First, enable USB Debugging on your phone.
(You can enable USB Debugging by opening Settings on your phone, selecting Applications, then Development, make sure the USB Debugging option has a bright checkmark beside it, a faded checkmark generally means it is disabled.)

2. Using your phone's browser go here and download the file z4root.1.3.0.apk

3. Save it to your phone.

4. If the download is unsuccessful, download the free app: Dolphin Mini Browser and try that. It should work.

5. If you don't see the app after it is installed, go to file manager in the app drawer and go to your sd card icon and go to the dolphin browser mini folder. You will find it there.

6. Open up z4root and when it asks for permissions, be sure to click on 'allow'.

7. Then do a PERMANENT root. You can always unroot later.

8. After you start the process your phone will turn off. This way you know it is working. When it turns back on it will be rooted. You can check to be sure by opening up z4root again and it will give you the option to: reroot

9. You have now finished rooting!

The Steps Hereafter Are On How To Delete Bloatware and Overclocking

Due to difficulties that some users have when restoring with Titanium Backup, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you purchase the PAID FOR version of Titanium Backup and FREEZE the apps you want to remove rather than uninstall them. This is VERY important for those who are not technically savvy!!!

IMPORTANT: Before using Titanium Backup (nicknamed: Titu) please read this post by UBRocked (moderator here)! If you don't understand it you may want to think twice about uninstalling your STOCK APPS with it.

Backup and Restore using Titanium Backup
(Attribute: UBRocked)

1. Download Titanium Backup Pro from the Market.

2. Open it and be sure to give it permissions by clicking on Allow.

3. Tap the tab in the middle that says Backup/Restore:

4. Back up any apps you want to FREEZE first. VERY IMPORTANT!

5. Follow the directions in the link above to backup and remove stock apps before you continue.

6. You can FREEZE just about any stock app that came with your phone that you do not use except the browsers, with Mobile Web being an exception. Also do NOT remov ANYTHING named google (e.g: google talk) In addition, especially for MetroPCS users, do not uninstall any of your stock email apps as it can create problems.

(See the second and third posts below this one for a complete list of things you can and cannot FREEZE, depending on who your carrier is: Cricket or MetroPCS.)

7. Next, download SetCPU or CPU Boost from the Market and reset your CPU to 600 Mhz.

That's it!

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

~ Jazz

Attrubution: Many thanks to joser116 for all the help he gave me which allowed me to be able to put this information together! Hopefully it will be helpful to many in the future! :)

CAVEAT: This will void your warranty!

(However, you can always unroot it! :) )

How do i go to root my phone when i need the goggle username nd password to get at the main menu but i dont know it so how would i go about that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones