• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Step guide to rooting the HTC Desire

Beaug

Lurker
Jun 22, 2011
Hey all,
I wrote a post a number of months ago but I didn't really find my answer. I have a Telstra gsm HTC Desire. I have had it for around 14 months. I self confess I am a noob, but I want to root to get rid of the telstra crap apps that don't work and to maximize performance by using ap2sd.

The problem is there are so many threads and many are out dated. Is my best method to download the newest unrevoked version and if so do I just follow the unrevoked info under the link "more?". There is no step by guide specifically for the Desire that I can find.

What about a goldcard? Will the Unrevoked method give me detailed instructions including making a goldcard etc. or do you just download the link and then your on your own? Once the root has happened does unrevoked put a basic ROM on the phone by default or do I have to go find one? Are there potential problems with an unrevoked rooted phone or have they been well and truly ironed out?

I am not that bad I'm ok on computers and if I have a detailed guide on rooting the phone I def will be able to do every step but I just need that guidance and to know it's current.

Cheers for any help.

Forget the step by step soz. I finally worked out how to use this site and found a good guide.

"What about a goldcard? Will the Unrevoked method give me detailed instructions including making a goldcard etc. or do you just download the link and then your on your own? Once the root has happened does unrevoked put a basic ROM on the phone by default or do I have to go find one? Are there potential problems with an unrevoked rooted phone or have they been well and truly ironed out?"

Still not sure about these questions though?

Upvote 0
Forget the step by step soz. I finally worked out how to use this site and found a good guide.

"What about a goldcard? Will the Unrevoked method give me detailed instructions including making a goldcard etc. or do you just download the link and then your on your own? Once the root has happened does unrevoked put a basic ROM on the phone by default or do I have to go find one? Are there potential problems with an unrevoked rooted phone or have they been well and truly ironed out?"

Still not sure about these questions though?

go to the root section and read the rooting faq. it tells you everything you need to know there.
how to check your versions, how to gold card, how to root, how to partition
its all there

Upvote 0
Hey rastaman I see your one of the compilers for want of a better word cheers for helping out less capable droids, like me. I went to the link (I'm on a win7 64 bit, and when I click on any link like 'how to make a goldcard' it comes up with a username and password. I put in my user and pass for this site and it doesnt work?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones