• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Steve Jobs, Person of the Year

My question is: Would he have been nominated for this honor had he not died?

No?

Then pick someone else who actually deserves it.

Yes?

Then weigh what he has done this year against what other people have done this year and pick appropriately.

Honestly, I think Time is just picking Jobs because they want to ride the wave of rampant iFandom and sell a lot of magazines.

Upvote 0
I'm playing devil's advocate here:

That's OK. :)

just because half the world knows of the bible doesn't mean it changed the world as much as smartphones.

As posted earlier much of the world doesn't have smart phones, apart from western developed countries. However much of the world has basic cheap dumb phones though. So I'd say it was the mobile phone itself, rather than smart phones in particular which have changed the world.

Most people where I am don't own a smart phone or a PC for that matter. Many will get on the interwebs from public internet bars. In rural China, tech can be distinctly 20th century rather than 21st century. Cassettes are very popular here, as is Video CD(VCD) and fax machines.

Much of China hasn't even got into the 20th century yet. One place I was staying at, water was hand pumped from a well and electricity came from a petrol generator when it was required. They did have Bibles and mobile phones though. :) Although China is officially Atheist, there are a lot of Christians here.

After all, most of the human population knows what gravity is. and gravity hasn't changed on earth much :)

Of course gravity has been around forever, the Bible and mobile phones(smart or dumb) haven't.

Upvote 0
Let's say for the sake or argument that the cell phone is indeed more influential than the Bible. Fine. Steve Jobs did not invent the cell phone. Steve Jobs did not invent the smart phone. Steve Jobs did not invent the essential technology that powers either device. He still doesn't belong on Time's cover based on the cell phone argument.

Upvote 0
I dunno if he should be man of the year or not,

I am most probably going to get flammed at for this but here goes:

Why is it... that a man who claims to be a Buddist (Steve Jobs) but basically gives hardly anything at all to charity is loved after he died???

He was 2 faced... that is what I believe... I could be wrong though. I really hope so.

I don't mind if he wants to be Buddist... but then he must stand by his words and not be two faced...

If any one should be man of the year it is Dennis Ritchie. He basically shaped the modern day computer age... he invented the "C" programming language AS WELL AS the UNIX operating system which is basically Linux Today and ANDROID which is a branch of Linux... and Dennis died ONLY 1 week later after Steve Jobs and some how... yet some how everyone cares only about Steve Jobs???

I don't get it...

Hardly any one gave a damn about Dennis and that makes me angry...

Was it because Steve was a really good marketer... and so everyone liked him and because he was a lot more popular or well known and he was... you know... "cool"?

It is sad that people did not give a damn about Dennis as well.

Yes there are news reports of Dennis... but I don't see no where NEAR as much attention going to Dennis when compared to Steve in the world news and newspapers,

The world can be a sad place because it seems Dennis has just been forgotten and not appreciated for his great work and what he did for man kind.

I think Dennis did more to be honest... without him... no Android.

Really sad world.

Dennis died on the 12 Oct 2011 this year

I think Dennis should be man of the year... but please understand that is just my opinion.

And opinions can be wrong ;)

Please don't hurt me!! :D

Dennis Ritchie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Kind of Buddhist was Steve Jobs, Really? | NeuroTribes

Upvote 0
Man of the year needs to be someone like Ghadaffi, Mubarak, the Arab Spring protestors or even Bin Ladin. All of those guys were bigger newsmakers this year.

The man of the year must have been some good in the world, no ? I don't think that you can give it to Ghadaffi, Mubara or Bin Laden then ;-) I think Steve Jobs would be a good choice.
We can't deny he did really change the world... Plus he never get the award so that would be faire, I think.

Upvote 0
I dunno if he should be man of the year or not,

I am most probably going to get flammed at for this but here goes:

Why is it... that a man who claims to be a Buddist (Steve Jobs) but basically gives hardly anything at all to charity is loved after he died???

He was 2 faced... that is what I believe... I could be wrong though. I really hope so.

I don't mind if he wants to be Buddist... but then he must stand by his words and not be two faced...

If any one should be man of the year it is Dennis Ritchie. He basically shaped the modern day computer age... he invented the "C" programming language AS WELL AS the UNIX operating system which is basically Linux Today and ANDROID which is a branch of Linux... and Dennis died ONLY 1 week later after Steve Jobs and some how... yet some how everyone cares only about Steve Jobs???

I don't get it...

Hardly any one gave a damn about Dennis and that makes me angry...

Was it because Steve was a really good marketer... and so everyone liked him and because he was a lot more popular or well known and he was... you know... "cool"?

It is sad that people did not give a damn about Dennis as well.

Yes there are news reports of Dennis... but I don't see no where NEAR as much attention going to Dennis when compared to Steve in the world news and newspapers,

The world can be a sad place because it seems Dennis has just been forgotten and not appreciated for his great work and what he did for man kind.

I think Dennis did more to be honest... without him... no Android.

Really sad world.

Dennis died on the 12 Oct 2011 this year

I think Dennis should be man of the year... but please understand that is just my opinion.

And opinions can be wrong ;)

Please don't hurt me!! :D

Dennis Ritchie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Kind of Buddhist was Steve Jobs, Really? | NeuroTribes
Because we are taught to not talk ill of the dead. Out of respect to his family. That said we know basically what he was and that's all that matters. The really time man of the year is a hollow title made up to sell magazines. It's not like he is getting a freedom medal or a knighthood.

Upvote 0
The man of the year must have been some good in the world, no ? I don't think that you can give it to Ghadaffi, Mubara or Bin Laden then ;-) I think Steve Jobs would be a good choice.
We can't deny he did really change the world... Plus he never get the award so that would be faire, I think.

It's supposed to be the most influential newsmaker of the year. Several years ago, there was much controversy after 9/11 because Time didn't pick Bin Ladin.

Upvote 0

Actually Time named Adolf Hitler Man of the Year for 1938.

hitler-Time-man-of-the-year.jpg

Adolf Hitler: Man of the Year, 1938 - TIME

Also Joseph Salin in both 1939 and 1942

time-person-of-the-year-1942-joseph-stalin.jpg

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
Actually Time named Adolf Hitler Man of the Year for 1938.

hitler-Time-man-of-the-year.jpg

Adolf Hitler: Man of the Year, 1938 - TIME

Perhaps they considered Adolf Hitler to be a nice man at the time? They'd just had the Berlin Olympics(1936). German Zeppelins where flying to the US regularly until 1937(Hindenberg Disaster). The US was neutral in World War II until 1941(Pearl Habor).

Also Joseph Salin in both 1939 and 1942.

time-person-of-the-year-1942-joseph-stalin.jpg

World War II again, the USSR was an ally.

The famous picture of Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill
Stalin-Roosevelt-Churchill_Soviet-Embassy_Tehran_1-Dec-1943.jpg

Time is a US magazine.

How come Mao Zedong was never Time person of the year? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Because we are taught to not talk ill of the dead. Out of respect to his family. That said we know basically what he was and that's all that matters. The really time man of the year is a hollow title made up to sell magazines. It's not like he is getting a freedom medal or a knighthood.

But Hitler and many other crazies are dead... and everyone talks ill of him and his family????

I do sort of understand what you are trying to say but he should have not been 2 faced.

Please don't kill me!!

xD

Upvote 0
X come

Come on stinky Hitler killed how many people? You compare jobs to those people?

Fair enough fair enough :)

I was just trying to say is that there were some far better people to have for "person of the year award" like I said "Dennis Ritchie" for example.

And I don't like it when people pretend to be a Buddhist just to get more people to buy an iLock or whatever you want to call it ;)

That is all I was trying to say :)

And just because some one does bad things doens't mean you must just forget them for it... they must also be recognised fot their faults too ;)

That is also what I was trying to say :D

Sorry if it came out wrong :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones