• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stick Mount puzzle

If you restart, plug in your OTG-usb cable with storage attached:
1. Do you see 'Stickmount searching', then a notification, then a message stating Stickmount... Active Mounts?
2. Do you have an ongoing notification Stickmount Mass storage device mounted?
3. Is Stickmount in your list of allowed apps in Superuser or Supersu?
4. What to you see in ES Explorer when you navigate to /sdcard/usbstorage/?

It sounds as if your OTG-usb cable is ok since you can use NMI, but you lose the write capability to your storage. Mine works perfectly with Stickmount for read/write/stream.

Upvote 0
If you restart, plug in your OTG-usb cable with storage attached:
1. Do you see 'Stickmount searching', then a notification, then a message stating Stickmount... Active Mounts?
2. Do you have an ongoing notification Stickmount Mass storage device mounted?
3. Is Stickmount in your list of allowed apps in Superuser or Supersu?
4. What to you see in ES Explorer when you navigate to /sdcard/usbstorage/?

It sounds as if your OTG-usb cable is ok since you can use NMI, but you lose the write capability to your storage. Mine works perfectly with Stickmount for read/write/stream.
Answer to points 1-3 is Yes.

As to point 4, I do not see 'usbstorage' in the first place (in ES File Explorer). It only shows up in compatibility mode and then I have sda2 thru sda12, but no sda1.

Upvote 0
I think I'm almost as frustrated as you must be over this. I don't use ES File explorer, but in either Root Explorer or Astro I can go to the /sdcard folder where I can find a usbStorage folder which contains a folder named sda1 which contains the files and folders on a microsd card in my microreader attached to the OTA-usb cable. I know many others use es file explorer successfully for this, so it doesn't make sense that you aren't seeing it. Did you set up multi-user profiles? That seems to complicate things by making additional folders for each user. I haven't done that, but you may have to go through sdcard0 or sdcard/usbstorage/0 or something like that. I hope someone who is using additional users could chime in on the required path.

Reactions: whs37
Upvote 0
FWIW, I get different results depending on which (rooted) ROM is installed.

With (rooted) stock 4.2.1 (JOP40D), I use StickMount and everything seems to go fine, with the mount at /sdcard/media/usbStorage/sda1.

When I tried using StickMount on a recent CM10.1 nightly, the mount would happen, but the permissions were screwy and the results I got with root-privileged file explorers would vary depending on whether I navigated to the mount via /sdcard/... or /data/media.

Turned out that CM10.1 performs the mount itself - and StickMount was actually interfering with the correct operation of the auto mounting performed by CM10.1; once I uninstalled StickMount, everything was fine. It does put the mount at a different spot, though. I can't remember the location at the moment. You can find it easily enough by typing "mount" in a terminal emulator.

Hope that helps.

eu1

PS What ROM/kernel are you using?

Upvote 0
FWIW, I get different results depending on which (rooted) ROM is installed.

With (rooted) stock 4.2.1 (JOP40D), I use StickMount and everything seems to go fine, with the mount at /sdcard/media/usbStorage/sda1.

When I tried using StickMount on a recent CM10.1 nightly, the mount would happen, but the permissions were screwy and the results I got with root-privileged file explorers would vary depending on whether I navigated to the mount via /sdcard/... or /data/media.

Turned out that CM10.1 performs the mount itself - and StickMount was actually interfering with the correct operation of the auto mounting performed by CM10.1; once I uninstalled StickMount, everything was fine. It does put the mount at a different spot, though. I can't remember the location at the moment. You can find it easily enough by typing "mount" in a terminal emulator.

Hope that helps.

eu1

PS What ROM/kernel are you using?

Yup thats one of the great things about Cyanogenmod. its built in!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones