• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still a world phone and what does Prime have over it?

sam007

Jun 26, 2010
Guys

I'm all but settled on the Bionic being my next phone AS LONG AS it's a world phone. Is that fully confirmed?

Also, for guys in two boats, are there any specs on the Prime that interest you? I'm thinking one is that it's all Google flavor and nothing on top. Anything else?

Thanks!

Guys

I'm all but settled on the Bionic being my next phone AS LONG AS it's a world phone. Is that fully confirmed?

Also, for guys in two boats, are there any specs on the Prime that interest you? I'm thinking one is that it's all Google flavor and nothing on top. Anything else?

Thanks!

I am not sure on the world phone aspect, but I would assume that it would be. EDIT: ^^I guess not :p

And yes, the 4.65" 720P AMOLD Screen, and the dual core 1.5GHz processor catches my eye with the Prime. I think I may end up waiting for it instead... Its pretty much the only time I have waited and gone against the "Buy now, or you will always be waiting" philosophy...

Upvote 0
From Engadget's Bionic Review: Droid Bionic review -- Engadget

"Naturally this is an LTE device, so you have both that and CDMA on tap. Globe trotters will find dual-band GSM (900 and 1,800MHz) along with 2,100MHz UMTS support, and all that is augmented by Bluetooth 2.1 and 802.11b/g/n WiFi. "

This is absolutely huge news!

I read that too (after asking the rep at Verizon when I was buying the phone this morning. She said "no"). I'd take both with a grain of salt, though I haven't peaked at the manual. It isn't a huge deal for me.

Upvote 0
Verizon told me at the store this morning it is not a world phone.

Moreover, in the settings area of the phone, under network settings, the only options for networks are LTE/CDMA or CDMA only. I saw absolutely nothing about GSM in any of the settings.

I do not think it is a world phone.

Upvote 0
I picked up my Bionic today, I love it so far! Awesome phone. About the world phone topic I was talking to the guy at the Verizon store and he seemed to have a good point. The world phone argument might be coming from the fact that this is an LTE device which is a standard which should apparently be in use in other regions eventually. Verizon happens to be the first carrier to be going with it but once 4g spreads around the world then it will be a world phone. Maybe that's not 100% true (I'm not too up on my phone network technologies) - but it sounded better than what I've heard from other sources.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones