• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still Confident Bravo is coming to Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
He called her back today on a break, and said he has played with the passion and its really sweet, and overall it trumps the Droid in every way.

They said that about the Nexus initially too. Now it looks like the Nexus isn't much faster, the calibration for touching the screen can be way off, 3G sucks, etc. As much as I wanted a thin device with Sense on it initially, I will have to give the Passion a good test run in the store before I trade in my Droid for it, that's for sure. (I only use the physical keyboard about 5% of the time, but it is REALLY usefully that 5%....)

Upvote 0
Did the N1 show up on that database right before it was released?

The Nexus One showed up in the database on 12/14/09, 22 days before release. To date, the fastest FCC approval-to-release I've seen is 14 days for the BB Tour. That's why I said in an earlier post, the chances of seeing a January release are pretty much gone. It's very possible there are handsets around the company being tested, but Verizon isn't throwing around release dates if this puppy hasn't even gotten its FCC ID yet.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, been reading these threads for a while, but just made an account. Anyway I must have missed something because I thought it was pretty much fact that the Passion = Nexus One. The image is no longer on Google's website but when they had the little picture of the Nexus One below the search box on their mainsite the name of the image was "hpp_passion-35.png". Anyway just wanted to see if you guys no something I don't which would more reliable than the picture's name on Google's website.
Sorry to post this twice but my comment was the last on the previous page and most likely would have been overlooked. Any good answer to why the image of the Nexus one was named passion besides the nexus one = passion?

Upvote 0
I sure hope Mc B Train is right with his "scoop"....but I would think if Verizon store managers were playing with this phone we would see picks, videos, etc...but we have seen nothing. However if Btrain can get some pics of the phone or the girl we would gladly take a look at them;)

I have to say where there is smoke there is fire and we are gaining momentum on the Passion, Bravo etc....VZW phone.

Upvote 0
The Nexus One showed up in the database on 12/14/09, 22 days before release. To date, the fastest FCC approval-to-release I've seen is 14 days for the BB Tour. That's why I said in an earlier post, the chances of seeing a January release are pretty much gone. It's very possible there are handsets around the company being tested, but Verizon isn't throwing around release dates if this puppy hasn't even gotten its FCC ID yet.

Not exactly. FCC approval for the N1 just happened to show up the day after they gave them out to thousands of Google employees world wide (or the day after that). Thats probably more then the normal testing group.
They have till the end of the week for a Jan launch. But going on the N1's history they may not even need two weeks.

Upvote 0
Isn't it obvious guys (and gals)???

Like Quickdood is saying, the N1 IS the Passion.
Let's face it, Verizon will probably release the N1 coined as the Droid Passion in the next few weeks.
All of the stories of "he/she said" of VZW Managers saying how cool it is are just misleading. The employees that play with it are told it is the Droid Passion because that is what the N1 will be called when Verizon releases it to continue the Droid _____ line. All of this Bravo nonsense is for the European Bravo leaked in the Tmo catalog in December. The Incredible will probably be the phone released later in the year when the Bravo makes its way to the US branded as the Droid Incredible.

The Google site said "Spring 2010" for the N1 release on Vodafone while clearly Vodafone said last Wednesday that they will have it in "a few short weeks". hmmm...
Vodafone promises Nexus One 'in a few short weeks' -- Engadget
VZW is the SAME way.

Here is my prediction:
VZW: N1 coined as the Droid Passion by end of Jan / beg of Feb
HTC Droid Incredible (US version of HTC Bravo) later in the year

I don't know about all of you, but I will make the jump from my LGDare to the Passion when it lands. All of the problems involving 3G and stuff will be gone when it hits VZW. T-Mo customers are just Google's guinea pigs.

People who want to the pass up the N1 and wait for the Bravo/Incredible want the phone of their dreams. I don't know about you, but I can't wait forever....and we can all admit (unless you currently have a MotoDroid or Eris) that the N1 beats the hell outta anything you're using at the moment.
:cool:

Upvote 0
Isn't it obvious guys (and gals)???

Like Quickdood is saying, the N1 IS the Passion.
Let's face it, Verizon will probably release the N1 coined as the Droid Passion in the next few weeks.
All of the stories of "he/she said" of VZW Managers saying how cool it is are just misleading. The employees that play with it are told it is the Droid Passion because that is what the N1 will be called when Verizon releases it to continue the Droid _____ line. All of this Bravo nonsense is for the European Bravo leaked in the Tmo catalog in December. The Incredible will probably be the phone released later in the year when the Bravo makes its way to the US branded as the Droid Incredible.

The Google site said "Spring 2010" for the N1 release on Vodafone while clearly Vodafone said last Wednesday that they will have it in "a few short weeks". hmmm...
Vodafone promises Nexus One 'in a few short weeks' -- Engadget
VZW is the SAME way.

Here is my prediction:
VZW: N1 coined as the Droid Passion by end of Jan / beg of Feb
HTC Droid Incredible (US version of HTC Bravo) later in the year

I don't know about all of you, but I will make the jump from my LGDare to the Passion when it lands. All of the problems involving 3G and stuff will be gone when it hits VZW. T-Mo customers are just Google's guinea pigs.

People who want to the pass up the N1 and wait for the Bravo/Incredible want the phone of their dreams. I don't know about you, but I can't wait forever....and we can all admit (unless you currently have a MotoDroid or Eris) that the N1 beats the hell outta anything you're using at the moment.
:cool:

Ya know what? I'm gonna actually agree with you on this. I'm starting to feel the same way. I actually completely agree with everything that you said, as a matter of fact. I'll be waiting till April or even later if what comes out soon is, in fact, the Droid Passion which is simply Verizon's name for the Nexus One. Now...we may be wrong, but just being realistic, I'd have to agree and say that if there is a phone coming in the coming weeks, it's going to be Verizon's version of the Nexus One. That's just the way this is all starting to look to me. Because there is an Incredible coming and it'd have to be better than the Nexus One. So...yeah...I guess I should have just said +1. Cause I agree with you.

Edit: Oh, and just to clarify, I WILL NOT be getting the Passion IF it is the same as the Nexus One. I just wouldn't be able to live with a decision like that when we have some reliable evidence that the Incredible is coming to Verizon sometime soon (next 2-3 months). I'll hold onto my LG Dare and wait for a phone I can get two years of mileage out of without much regret.

Upvote 0
By the way... Think about this... Wouldn't it make sense for HTC to wait to release their BADDEST ass phone later in the year a bit since there is pretty good evidence that the iPhone is coming to Verizon later on this year? If you think about it, saving your incredible phone (probably the best phone HTC has ever made, to date) and dropping it further out to compete with the iPhone makes sense. That may not be AT ALL what they're doing, but just an idea.

Upvote 0
Yeah all too confusing...so I broke down and ordered a Droid. Comes tomorrow. Gave me an early upgrade after a year with the Storm 1. Ordering from Verizon online was cheaper than buying it from the store too. In store price was $299 + $20 early upgrade fee + Tax $50 = $370 (Cash I would have had to put down with a $100 dollar mail in rebate), from the site $299 - $100 instant online discount + 50 taxes = $248.99 AND since I have great credit they let me bill it to my account so I have a month to pay it of now as well.

At least now I'm in on the game now instead of sitting on the side lines cause its to the point where I'm only using my storm for the phone...:p...kinda of ironic but I can't stand the thing no more. I've been researching and learning so much about Android, Linux, and rooting that I'm already confident with that but I couldn't tell you 10 Android specific apps...LMOA.

Anyways I'm still with all you guys, hopefully they release something before my 30 days are up but if not I still got an upgrade credit in my back pocket.

Upvote 0
By the way... Think about this... Wouldn't it make sense for HTC to wait to release their BADDEST ass phone later in the year a bit since there is pretty good evidence that the iPhone is coming to Verizon later on this year? If you think about it, saving your incredible phone (probably the best phone HTC has ever made, to date) and dropping it further out to compete with the iPhone makes sense. That may not be AT ALL what they're doing, but just an idea.

But wouldn't they make more money releasing it BEFORE the Verizon iPhone comes out. That's STIFF competition. If I were HTC I would release The "BAD ASS" before the release of the iPhone to get as much momentum rolling.

Upvote 0
My friend stated this. It could be true or absolute BS, but run with me on this. If anything near the above hits the market under the Apple moniker, game is pretty much over lol

I honestly wouldn't put ANYTHING past Apple. Of course they're going to have to up the ante. I expect the iPhone 4G to be yet another game changer. It may turn out that HTC releases the only phone that can honestly be refered to as an "iPhone Killer" and then a couple months later Apple releases an entire new iPhone to be killed. I totally believe that the next iPhone is going to be nothing short of game changing. It'd have to be.

Upvote 0
I honestly wouldn't put ANYTHING past Apple. Of course they're going to have to up the ante. I expect the iPhone 4G to be yet another game changer. It may turn out that HTC releases the only phone that can honestly be refered to as an "iPhone Killer" and then a couple months later Apple releases an entire new iPhone to be killed. I totally believe that the next iPhone is going to be nothing short of game changing. It'd have to be.

I agree. The iPhone 4g is going to be crazy good i expect. It has to be or it will fall under the roccks. So im expecting something crazy good lol so good itll make me mad!

Upvote 0
My friend stated this. It could be true or absolute BS, but run with me on this. If anything near the above hits the market under the Apple moniker, game is pretty much over lol

No way any of that is happening in the iPhone 4G...maybe in the 6G haha.
Look at Apple's progression from the 1G to the 3G to the 3GS.....

Their os doesnt need a multicore proc because it can't even multitask haha!

All they'll do is make it hold more memory, make it 1ghz (at most), better the camera and battery, and maybe add personalization features, currently available for jailbreakers, to give it some backgrounds/widgets/themes/fonts for flare.

They don't need more consumers...they just need to keep the ones they already have away from the competition by supreme advertising and trendy simplicity.

The only new customers will be those from vzw...who are up for ANY refresh of the iphone...as long as its the iphone...and its on their network.

Upvote 0
I agree. The iPhone 4g is going to be crazy good i expect. It has to be or it will fall under the roccks. So im expecting something crazy good lol so good itll make me mad!

It won't fall under the rocks...If they change TOO much a lot of those "really cool" apps will have to be updated or modified which would be a HUGE undertaking. Updating 120,000 plus apps is a lot of work. Not doubting that it won't be awesome, but I suspect it will still be an "iPhone".

Upvote 0
I've said this before. Verizon is not going to sell the Nexus One. They won't have the right or ability to rename it. It will be directly available from Google only. There are many "news" stories about this already. Those suggesting that the N1 sold by Google will be called the "Passion" when it's on Verizon's system are way off the mark. That just doesn't make any sense.
The whole point of Google releasing the N1 was so that they themselves would have complete control over the hardware and establish a direct relationship with their customers. What they really want to do is make the mobile phone and especially data systems truly open. You buy the equipment you want, then pick the service you want. They're trying (long term) to normalize the bastardized system for mobile phone service we have in this country.
Imagine your cable TV provider only allowing you to buy your TV's from them and you could only pick from the 8 or 10 they've "approved" to be on their system. Does that sound crazy? That's what you did the last time you renewed your mobile phone service (at least for us in the US).

Edit: Having said all this, Verizon could brand and sell a twin of the N1 for themselves, certainly.

Upvote 0
Edit: Oh, and just to clarify, I WILL NOT be getting the Passion IF it is the same as the Nexus One. I just wouldn't be able to live with a decision like that when we have some reliable evidence that the Incredible is coming to Verizon sometime soon (next 2-3 months). I'll hold onto my LG Dare and wait for a phone I can get two years of mileage out of without much regret.

That's my thinking too. As someone who is also on the Dare, this will make it the longest I have kept any single phone. While I still have to see in person the N1/Passion (which I assume to one and the same), I'm not really feeling the design at all. And stock Android is really so blah looking, I really want something with Sense.

And in all honesty, with the positive moves that T-Mobile has been making, and with the Mobile World Congress next month, some news about Windows Mobile 7 should be coming to the surface. In this case, getting the HD2, which is really the hardware I want, running WM 6.5, and upgrading to 7 would be something appealing to me, assuming that WM 7 looks like its going to be good, and that we don't start hearing about the Incredible soon.

So, I'm hoping for a Verizon bound Bravo, which the way I'm thinking will be called the Incredible.

Upvote 0
Stopped by my local VZW store today, my friend works there for the past 7 years (store manager). It is time for my yearly upgrade on the 15th. I opt to take my upgrade yearly, I lose $50.00 toward my upgrade allowance and enter into a new 2 year contract but I get a new phone every year at the 2 year contract price. I was all set to get my new Droid this Friday. My friend told me to wait because VZW has some new Droid devices that are going to be released real soon. I asked him when and he said in the next couple of weeks. Late Jan. early Feb. He wasn't given exact dates yet. He did say HTC was among the list of phones to be released and said I quote "you have to wait for this phone. It is a Beast". Similar specs to the Nexus One. We went on to talk about the Nexus One and he said it should arrive toward the end of March beginning of April. He also said that Verizon will be selling the Nexus One at their stores. I thought it was being sold online only by Google. He told me he will keep me posted as he gets new info. I was ready to cave in and pick up a Droid but guess I am going to hold out for a little while.

Upvote 0
I've said this before. Verizon is not going to sell the Nexus One. They won't have the right or ability to rename it. It will be directly available from Google only. There are many "news" stories about this already. Those suggesting that the N1 sold by Google will be called the "Passion" when it's on Verizon's system are way off the mark. That just doesn't make any sense.
The whole point of Google releasing the N1 was so that they themselves would have complete control over the hardware and establish a direct relationship with their customers. What they really want to do is make the mobile phone and especially data systems truly open. You buy the equipment you want, then pick the service you want. They're trying (long term) to normalize the bastardized system for mobile phone service we have in this country.
Imagine your cable TV provider only allowing you to buy your TV's from them and you could only pick from the 8 or 10 they've "approved" to be on their system. Does that sound crazy? That's what you did the last time you renewed your mobile phone service (at least for us in the US).

In a way I agree with you and stand corrected for my prediction in my former posts...BUT...i think that this Google strategy only can apply to GSM networks because you have the ability to purchase the phone from anyone/anywhere and insert your SIM card and use it on any gsm network with the correct signal bands...CDMA networks dont work like that...so Sprint and VZW customers are stuck buying solely from the carrier....hence why I think somehow google and vzw will launch the N1 on vzw as the droid passion....but i could be completely wrong and google could still sell a fresh cdma version of the phone for vzw peeps....BUT they have never done that....

Upvote 0
Stopped by my local VZW store today, my friend works there for the past 7 years (store manager). It is time for my yearly upgrade on the 15th. I opt to take my upgrade yearly, I lose $50.00 toward my upgrade allowance and enter into a new 2 year contract but I get a new phone every year at the 2 year contract price. I was all set to get my new Droid this Friday. My friend told me to wait because VZW has some new Droid devices that are going to be released real soon. I asked him when and he said in the next couple of weeks. Late Jan. early Feb. He wasn't given exact dates yet. He did say HTC was among the list of phones to be released and said I quote "you have to wait for this phone. It is a Beast". Similar specs to the Nexus One. We went on to talk about the Nexus One and he said it should arrive toward the end of March beginning of April. He also said that Verizon will be selling the Nexus One at their stores. I thought it was being sold online only by Google. He told me he will keep me posted as he gets new info. I was ready to cave in and pick up a Droid but guess I am going to hold out for a little while.

I like this post so much. I pray it will play out as such. :):):)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones