• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still Confused: Virgin Mobile and Google Voice

Skylamar

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Hi. I know there are older threads on this topic, but I'm still confused and have a number of questions. I don't own an Android phone yet, but I've been thinking of getting one from Virgin Mobile. If I get a Virgin Mobile phone, I don't plan to give out that number to anyone -- instead I want to use my Google Voice number with the Virgin Mobile phone.

Anyway, here are my questions:

- I already have a Google Voice number. If I get a Virgin Mobile phone and I set up Google Voice to forward my Google Voice calls to my Virgin Mobile phone, will that work? Will Virgin Mobile allow me to set that up?

I know Virgin Mobile doesn't support call forwarding, but in this case the calls are forwarded FROM the Google Voice number TO the Virgin Mobile number. That is, I'm not porting my Virgin Mobile number to Google Voice and using it that way.

- I've also set up my Google Voice number to work with Skype. I have a Mac and an IPod Touch, both running Skype, on a wifi network. But for Skype to accept calls via Google Voice, I had to shut off Call Screening in Google Voice. But I read in a thread on this website that you need to have Call Screening enabled for Google Voice to work with Virgin Mobile, otherwise the Google Voice greetings create voicemails in Virgin Mobile's voicemail system. Is this true?

- I could use GrooVE IP or Skype to make voice calls over data. Does anyone know how much bandwidth that uses? According to Virgin Mobile's fine print, data speeds become a lot slower after 2.5GB of data usage.

- Is it possible to have Virgin Mobile shut off voicemail for my phone? I wasn't sure, from the various posts, whether they will do it.

Thanks!

Sky

A few answers: Yes, you can set up Google Voice to forward calls to your Virgin Mobile phone. Although not necessary, I'd also recommend downloading the Google Voice app to your phone.

Virgin Mobile not allowing forwarding is only an issue if someone calls you on your VM phone number, as the call cannot be forwarded to your Google Voice voicemail.

I'm not aware of a VM phone needing call screening. I seem to recall, back when I had a VM phone, that I had screening off.

It doesn't use that much data. Your largest problem with trying to use Skype or GrooveIP is that it likely won't work well over 3G (in many areas Virgin 3G speeds are very slow); and likely have issues (due to latency) over WiMax. Typically I had GrooveIP to only handle the call when I was connected to WiFi.

And, yes, you can get Virgin Mobile to turn off your voicemail.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones