1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Still Having Facebook/ Contacts Issues?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fastpicker89, Jun 1, 2011.

1. fastpicker89

fastpicker89 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    So we're a few weeks in and I'm wondering if anyone has found a fix. I'm still have no luck, and I know I'm not the only one.

If you don't already know, the Facebook app messes up your contacts. Basically, it takes over the Contacts app, and disallows your own added contacts to be found when searching for them. Furthermore, your contacts don't sync with Facebook contacts. The only way so far I've been able to call or text people I know has been with the actual text messaging app. It's the only one that finds those contacts, so I have to go in there and click on a name I've already texted before calling.

Bummer.

Advertisement

2. anticipator

anticipator Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I'm not exactly clear what problem you are encountering. When I first set the contacts up it synced with my gmail acct and drew in the contacts from there, all the contacts were then populated. I had already typed my contacts into the contact area of my gmail acct on my home computer. When I later used the standard FB app, I didn't allow it to populate my contact list with FB contacts (some setting). I could see the FB contacts only by using the FB app only. However, later I changed to another better FB app on the market called Friendcaster Pro (deleted the original android native app), which that program still didn't populate my contact list with those FB contacts. To utilize the FB pictures of friends I later used an android market app called syncmypix which drew in only the thumbnails of FB contacts into my contact list. Hope this helps.

3. fastpicker89

None

Mar 6, 2011
    Have you tried adding a contact? If you add a new contact, it shows up in your contacts, but then doesn't sync with your facebook contacts. Furthermore, none of my Backup Assistant contacts are showing up, and those are the only ones I care about. When I go to hide the Facebook account from Contacts, I'm left with about 5 preinstalled Verizon #s.

4. anticipator

anticipator Member

Mar 23, 2010
    When I clicked on the Contacts widget on the home page, it present a list of my current contacts (which are solely typed in Google email contacts). Then, if you click on the + thing on top right next to the search spyglass it then presents a pulldown list where it gives you a choice to add the contact, in my case one of two google email accounts or backup assistant. I've never used backup assistant, but the new contact adds easily to either gmail account. I'm not totally sure about this, but wasn't there something about a spat between FB and Google, with FB not allowing contacts to be transferred to google accts. Again, not sure about that last part.

5. fastpicker89

None

Mar 6, 2011
    Not sure, but it's a nuisance. I guess I'll just try adding all my phone numbers to my gmail account. It's just stupid that I have to do that.