• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still having terrible WiFi range after update

Raadius

Jun 9, 2010
So a week ago I updated my Evo, it was suppose to fix the battery, HTC sync and WiFi range. Well, my battery is slightly better, still terrible IMO and my WiFi range is UNCHANGED.

I'm in my room, next to my modem, full bars. If I turn my back to the modem it drops to 2 bars. If I walk out of my room, down the hall way into the living room, it struggles to hold 1 bar, sometimes leaving with zero bars. Whats going on? From my room to the living room is less than 15 feet away. My HD2 and iPhone 2G still holds 3 full bars.

I have an updated 002 EVO. My wife just brought home her new T-mobile work phone. It's the HTC Touch (3G Slide)....

Doing a side by side comparison using Wi-Fi analyzer on our back deck, about 50 feet from the router:

I get -88dBm signal (Channel 3) from our router.
My wife gets -70dBm signal from our router.

18 dBM more signal!!! WTF?

She is also receiving three other SSID's from the neighbors. (2 are on channel 6, and one is channel 9) I can receive NONE of them until I walk about 40 feet towards the other houses....

Sigh.... :( What gives HTC? These are both your products..... Why does the entry level Touch get way better reception than the top of the line Evo????

Upvote 0
My wifi just works. At my office I use a linksys 650n router with the 2.5 ghz band set on channel 11 and mixed mode and i get strong signal on the second floor of a concrete building and in my warehouse in the back. I also use a linksys E3000 router with both the 2.5 and 5ghz running N only and I get a signal everywhere I have tried also on channel 11. I used WiFi analyzer when I was getting weaker signals and found out I was using the weakest channel at both places so I switched to the strongest and there you have it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones