• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root still "Low on space"

bigblackken

Jul 31, 2012
Hi all,
I'm using digital Karma's delux 777 rom, which has DT's apps2sd baked in.

I have a fair number of apps loaded and started getting Low on space. According to ES File explorer, i still have about 15gb left on my 32gb SD card- (it performs at class 6 i think). Anyway, I don't understand why I'm still getting the error.

It seemed to be working at first. (digitalkarma's rom is my first root) I got a "low on space" right after I rooted and restored a few apps. Then I applied a2sd by partioning the card, etc, and the error went away. But now its back. Yes I have loaded a good number of big apps, but shouldn't i have way more space with 15gb free on my card?

Manage Apps says, that re: internal storage, i have 390mb used, and 38 mb free.

Please help :)

Hi all,
I'm using digital Karma's delux 777 rom, which has DT's apps2sd baked in.

I have a fair number of apps loaded and started getting Low on space. According to ES File explorer, i still have about 15gb left on my 32gb SD card- (it performs at class 6 i think). Anyway, I don't understand why I'm still getting the error.

It seemed to be working at first. (digitalkarma's rom is my first root) I got a "low on space" right after I rooted and restored a few apps. Then I applied a2sd by partioning the card, etc, and the error went away. But now its back. Yes I have loaded a good number of big apps, but shouldn't i have way more space with 15gb free on my card?

Manage Apps says, that re: internal storage, i have 390mb used, and 38 mb free.

Please help :)
Perhaps in terminal emulator you need to run an a2sd commands:
a2sd repair
a2sd install
:)
Here is a list of commands for DTa2sd
That is, if you are partitioned which your op says you are.

Edit: oh yeah, and welcome here to AF!!

Upvote 0
Yes, I should be partioned, ext3.
I followed the directions from :
http://therootofallevo.com/2011/04/10-step-guide-properly-set-darktremors-a2sd/

which is linked from the ROM dev's page.
I will try the repair and install.
Thanks for the help!

---------------
update-
it didnt work for me. I went into terminal, entered a2sd repair, and then a2sd reinstall (a2sd install was unrecognized). Just rebooted, but stil am "low on space"

also, thanks ocnbrz for the rooting post. I couldnt figure out how to thank you until just now, but i went to that post just now and hit the thanks button. it was very helpful!

Upvote 0
I haven't done it in a while but I think you need to type su in terminal emulator first before you enter those other commands?

try that and see what happens maybe.
Yes dust, that's right, I forgot because the terminal I use, I dont have to do that. The "#" prompt automatically comes up.
So, @bigblacken, if you see the "$" prompt, type su as dust says and the prompt will change to "#", then enter your commands.
You can also type a2sd check to see if apps are linked to sd card ext.
Example:
$ su (hit enter)
# a2sd check (hit enter)
or the other commands.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have typed su before those commands.
I have a slightly older version of DT though.

the link for commands is for version 2.7.5.3

repair works
install didnt work
re-install did something, but i was still getting the error.

Does it matter if i install apps from amazon? I had been using the play store, but when I got the error, I had installed a bunch of stuff i used to have installed from amazon

Upvote 0
Yes, I have typed su before those commands.
I have a slightly older version of DT though.

the link for commands is for version 2.7.5.3

repair works
install didnt work
re-install did something, but i was still getting the error.

Does it matter if i install apps from amazon? I had been using the play store, but when I got the error, I had installed a bunch of stuff i used to have installed from amazon
odd...are there any apps on your sd card? Not the sd-ext, the sd card itself.
What comes up when you type a2sd check?
As far as apps from Amazon, I would tend to think dt should auto move those also.
You are sure you are partitioned?

Edit: dang it, I posted before I was done typing...stupid laptop.
hang on a sec.
Edit again: not sure if this command works with your version of dt but, type this:
mount | grep /sd-ext
make sure spacing between words and symbols is correct otherwise it wont work.
That command will tell you to what extent your sd card is partitioned.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
thanks for your help all.

@mikestony, for your suggestion, do i type :
a2sd mount ect,etc?
also i cant find the character on my keyboard for the verticle bar.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by are there apps on my sd card. Since flashing the rom and partioning the card, i have not used the manage applications menu to move apps from internal memory to sd card. HOWEVER, i DID back up the entire sd card contents onto my computer, flash, wipe, partion, etc. AND THEN copy everything baack to the sd card. Although I dont know for sure, its quite likely that old apps and data from stock form that were moved onto sd card are still there? I would think it wouldnt matter, but I'm a nub.

@mikem0269, I partioned 1 gb, per instructions from link. although I don't know how to verify if this is actually what happened.

here is the output from a2sd check--->

Thanks again for your time and patience, and help! :)

sh-3.2# a2sd check
[ ] Apps2SD is launching...
__ _____
| \ |
| | |
|__/ | Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.2 (2010-09-30)

[ ] GetProp Command = /system/bin/toolbox getprop
[ ] SetProp Command = /system/bin/toolbox setprop
[ ] Mount Point = /system/sd
[ ] Starting Apps2SD Check Program.
[ ] Checking for ext partition

Darktremor 2.7.5.2 Apps2SD Status Report
===================================================================================
Legend: []=Setting is correct
[]=Setting is correct, but not optimal.
[]=Setting is incorrect and needs to be fixed or option is not available.
===================================================================================
Block Device - [] Found
- [] /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
EXT Partition - [] Mounted
Mount Point - [ ] /system/sd
Partition Type - [] EXT3
Support EXT2? - [] Yes
Support EXT3? - [] Yes
Support EXT4? - [] No

Apps - [ ] Linked to SD Card.
[ ] No Apps2SD Flag File not found.
[] Programs run from SD card
To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove

Private Apps - [ ] Linked to SD Card.
[] Private Programs run from SD card
To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove

Dalvik Cache - [ ] Regular directory.
[ ] Dalvik to /cache flag file not found.
[ ] Dalvik to SD flag file not found.
[] Dalvik runs from Int. Storage.
To run from SD card, type a2sd cachesd.
To run from /cache partition, type a2sd cachepart.

Swap - [ ] Partition not present or no swap support.
[] Swap does not start.

ZipAlign - [] Not running at boot.
To activate it, type a2sd zipalign

Dalvik Heap(MB) - [] 48m

Low Memory
Killer Settings - [] 2048,3072,11264,13312,15360,17408
Note: Values are in pages.
1 page = 4KB memory.

Values represent the following:
1st number = Foreground App
2nd number = Visible App
3rd number = Secondary Server
4th number = Hidden App
5th number = Content Provider
6th number = Empty App

[] For a list of commands that you can use with Apps2SD
Type: a2sd help
sh-3.2#

Upvote 0
I typed: "a2sd mount | grep /sd-ext "
and also just :
"mount | grep /sd-ext"

without the quotes. It did not give me an output. but no error message either.
typeing "mount" only in superuser gave me a big output of stuff but i'm not sure what use it is.

here it is FWIW
sh-3.2# a2sd mount | grep /sd-ext
sh-3.2# su
sh-3.2# mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /app-cache tmpfs rw,relatime,size=8192k,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /system yaffs2 rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/sd ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0
htcfs /data/htcfs fuse.htcfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
/dev/block/dm-0 /mnt/asec/com.galapagossoft.trial-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-1 /mnt/asec/com.massivefinger.PinballRide-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-2 /mnt/asec/com.rubicon.dev.glwg-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-4 /mnt/asec/com.robotinvader.knightmare-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-5 /mnt/asec/com.popcap.pvz-2 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-6 /mnt/asec/com.outfit7.talkingtom2free-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-7 /mnt/asec/com.glu.modwarsniper-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/dm-3 /mnt/asec/pl.idreams.jellyband-1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,fmask=0222,dmask=0222,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
sh-3.2# mount | grep /sd-ext
sh-3.2#

Upvote 0
Can you take a screen shot from titanium backup so it will show up what you have setup for partitions and how they are being used?

Just the main screen of TB at the bottom

here it is

Attachments

• 2012-08-08_11-41-15.jpg
    2012-08-08_11-41-15.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
I read that as no flag that is called "no apps to sd" found.
As in, cannot find a flag that says, do not move apps to sd.

Edit: tell me I'm not smokin dope here.:p
Rx, did you just have a different reply.?:thinking: :thinking:

From the a2sd screen, Its not obvious to me what the "Legend" is trying to tell me. Since I cant really understand what the legend says stuff means, i'm *guessing* from the a2sd output from "a2sd check"- that both "APPS" and "PRIVATE APPS" are running from the sd card since it says:

"Apps - [ ] Linked to SD Card.
To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove"

But I don't know. The legend doesnt seem to be helpful in trying to decode whatever this output is. i must be missing something.

Upvote 0
I dont know if you did this but, have you wiped cache and dalvik cache via recovery?

I did this prior to installing the ROM. but not since. Should I do so now? I have no idea what wiping the cache does so I am waiting for you to tell me if it ok. I just know that if you dont wipe these things, it can screw stuff up when changing roms.

Upvote 0
From the a2sd screen, Its not obvious to me what the "Legend" is trying to tell me. Since I cant really understand what the legend says stuff means, i'm *guessing* from the a2sd output from "a2sd check"- that both "APPS" and "PRIVATE APPS" are running from the sd card since it says:

"Apps - [ ] Linked to SD Card.
To run from internal storage, type a2sd remove"

But I don't know. The legend doesnt seem to be helpful in trying to decode whatever this output is. i must be missing something.

Yes, it also appears that way to me also.

I did this prior to installing the ROM. but not since. Should I do so now? I have no idea what wiping the cache does so I am waiting for you to tell me if it ok. I just know that if you dont wipe these things, it can screw stuff up when changing roms.
How many apps do you have.?
Perhaps your app cache is filling up internal...thats what you will wipe in recovery....Take note of what internal is now, wipe cache and dalvik, then take note of what internal is afterwards.:)

Reactions: bigblackken
Upvote 0
wiping the Caches has certainly helped. internal storage up from 50mb to 70mb.

I think i do have a bunch of apps, but not like what ocnbrz has been talking about, like 200 and going strong. is there something that will tell me how many apps I have? Plz tell me if there is an easy way, since I dont think im going to hand count them ! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones