• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still no ICS update

candroid11

Sep 21, 2011
As far as I know I should have got the ICS update for my Nexus S by now. I am with Koodo mobile in Canada. My friend who is on Telus (same company and network, different brand) got his update. Am I doing something wrong? I usually have my data shut off so I don't waste it. Could this be causing the delay? It shouldn't since I am usually hooked up to wifi though. This is getting ridiculous. I am also unrooted so that isn't causing any trouble.

There are many things to be considered about getting updates apart from the model. For rxxample, for carrier issued devices (under contract, or bought from a carrier), updates won't roll out until the carrier (Koodo, Telus, ATT, Tmo, etc) gives the manufacturer the go ahead for rolling it out for their devices (identified via IMEI, product codes and batch codes which are embedded deeply into the software).

Upvote 0
As far as I know I should have got the ICS update for my Nexus S by now. I am with Koodo mobile in Canada. My friend who is on Telus (same company and network, different brand) got his update. Am I doing something wrong? I usually have my data shut off so I don't waste it. Could this be causing the delay? It shouldn't since I am usually hooked up to wifi though. This is getting ridiculous. I am also unrooted so that isn't causing any trouble.
There are thousands of phones in use across Canada, nevermind the rest of the world. All the updates come directly from Google servers so it will take a while for everyone to get the update. It's a 160meg file so that's a lot of data to push out to all the phones. I'm on Rogers and was lucky to got mine fairly early. But I know someone on Rogers who hasn't received the update notification yet, so I told them to use the checkin procedure today and after several tries they're now updated.

Upvote 0
There are many things to be considered about getting updates apart from the model. For rxxample, for carrier issued devices (under contract, or bought from a carrier), updates won't roll out until the carrier (Koodo, Telus, ATT, Tmo, etc) gives the manufacturer the go ahead for rolling it out for their devices (identified via IMEI, product codes and batch codes which are embedded deeply into the software).
That's not relevant with Google Nexus devices which get their software updates directly from Google servers. As soon as the software is ready for your device model, it starts to roll out to all of those phones.

Upvote 0
It's kind of funny how Koodo works. When I got my Nexus the representative went into the spiel about how Koodo is going to push the update soon and he hadn't gotten the update yet. But when I started up the phone it asked me to update to ICS.

I must say I like it much more than Gingerbread though. On Gingerbread I always install the GO Launcher EX, but I don't want to with ICS. I'm happy with it the way it is. :)

Upvote 0
There are thousands of phones in use across Canada, nevermind the rest of the world. All the updates come directly from Google servers so it will take a while for everyone to get the update. It's a 160meg file so that's a lot of data to push out to all the phones. I'm on Rogers and was lucky to got mine fairly early. But I know someone on Rogers who hasn't received the update notification yet, so I told them to use the checkin procedure today and after several tries they're now updated.

What is the checkin procedure?

Upvote 0
So what happens now? I just did this, got the notification, but nothing happened.
It means the servers are not ready for you yet. Try it again. Some people report that 4-5 times in a row triggers it. You may have to do it several more times. You will get a notification that an update is available at which point you simply initiate the update. Make sure you're on v2.3.6 build GRK39F or it won't update.

Upvote 0
I've done this checkin thing probably a few hundred times now. Koodo users are always second-class. No surprise that Telus got theirs and we are waiting for ours.
As has been said many times before, Google Nexus phones get their updates directly from Google servers. The carriers have nothing to do with the software and do NOT push it, Google does. It does not matter what carrier you're on, you get it when the servers are ready for your specific phone.

Reactions: MaypepNecro
Upvote 0
I have a Nexus S with Koodo and I just received the update last night (April 17/12). User interface is much better and menu layouts make a lot more sense. No contact or application data was lost and the upgrade only took a few minutes. It was like getting a brand new phone.:D

I have been checking for system updates a few times a week since I heard it was coming in April, and even my one last night said that I was up to date. Yet, the next time I wen to use my phone just a few minutes later the prompt was up asking me to start the download/upgrade process. I was on WiFi at the time with data turned off.

I'm not sure how they determine the download order, but checking for updates (in Settings, Phone) every now and then cannot hurt. After the talk about problems last December the general word I heard was calling for April. April isn't over, so if you don't have your yet just hang on a little longer. (Though it would ease frustration for a lot of people if they knew what logic was being applied to the upgrade order: ie: by activation, current version, network carrier??)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones