• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

STILL no media reviews?!? Well, took long enough.

Not a bad review from Engadget...kinda surprised me.

I think it's a pretty lazy review myself. They left out a lot and breezed over several other things. I know a lot of people use smartphones more for other things, but how can you review a phone and not even briefly mention call quality? It seemed to me like it was one of those "I'm reviewing this because I have to, but I could actually care less about it" sort of things.

Upvote 0
The D3 is a "9" so far IMO, but the official display protectors are a "5". They barely go past the touch area, so constant brushing againt the protector edges for some apps and UI usage. Seems a poor design with zero thought in use.
Gorilla Glass needs no protection :p IMO at least. I had dropped my DX screen down on the pavement a few times. The metal/plastic (don't remember what it was) around the screen scratched, but not the glass :)

Upvote 0
I've seen two reports already; one is a person who dropped his Droid 3 and it now has little scratches on it and the other dropped his Droid 3 and it shattered the screen. I plan to get a screen cover but I'm waiting on Boxwave to make one.

The D3 covers from VZW- IMO are a waste of money. I lost my spare DX2 covers and wonder if they would fit..... Probably not.

Upvote 0
The D3 is a "9" so far IMO, but the official display protectors are a "5". They barely go past the touch area, so constant brushing againt the protector edges for some apps and UI usage. Seems a poor design with zero thought in use.

Verizon's screen protectors, at least for all of the Droids I've had, are always like that. Never made any sense to me. I usually don't buy them, but this time around I went ahead and got a pack to tide me over until some better ones are released.

Gorilla Glass needs no protection :p IMO at least. I had dropped my DX screen down on the pavement a few times. The metal/plastic (don't remember what it was) around the screen scratched, but not the glass :)

Gorilla Glass is great for preventing scratches, but I like a good screen protector because of all of the various gunk that build up on the screen. Some of that stuff (particularly makeup and hair products that might be left behind by a female friend...or male friend) can really be difficult to remove if it's left there for any extended period of time. Even with Gorilla Glass, scratching is possible when really using some elbow grease to remove certain substances. A screen protector makes that a lot easier because it can just be replaced. I also buy, use, and sell off phones with great regularity, so I'm always cautious to take the best care of the phone possible to retain a high resale value. Being able to say you've always used a screen protector goes a long way in a sale. :)

Upvote 0
That was the same for the D1. I bought the VZW covers when I bought the phone and ended up throwing them away. I had the Boxwave and really liked them. I sent a request for them to make them for the D3.

That would be better than the currnet ones. Perhaps considering the coverage, the DX ones might accomodate?

Will check later.

Upvote 0
Verizon's screen protectors, at least for all of the Droids I've had, are always like that. Never made any sense to me. I usually don't buy them, but this time around I went ahead and got a pack to tide me over until some better ones are released.

Gorilla Glass is great for preventing scratches, but I like a good screen protector because of all of the various gunk that build up on the screen. Some of that stuff (particularly makeup and hair products that might be left behind by a female friend...or male friend) can really be difficult to remove if it's left there for any extended period of time. Even with Gorilla Glass, scratching is possible when really using some elbow grease to remove certain substances. A screen protector makes that a lot easier because it can just be replaced. I also buy, use, and sell off phones with great regularity, so I'm always cautious to take the best care of the phone possible to retain a high resale value. Being able to say you've always used a screen protector goes a long way in a sale. :)

What the heck are you doing with your D3? :eek: ;):)

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
A preview and review from Anandtech (one of my fav places for tech info):

AnandTech - This Just In - Motorola Droid 3 for Verizon

AnandTech - Motorola Droid 3 Review - Third Time's a Charm

After the review a few things happened:

I got goose bumps about the Bionic...lol The OMAP 4 in the Droid 3 and Bionic is nothing to sneeze at.

GPU accelerated launcher and homescreen? Moto is finally doing the accelerated UI thing like HTC and Samsung? If so....yall stock Android folks can have vanilla....give me the custom UI's until stock Android UI on phones is GPU accelerated.

Ppl can say what they want about Motorola....but they are doing something right when it comes to battery life. Whether its a massive battery ala Atrix or something they just do with the their phones...its something to think about.

Noise cancellation...the Droid 3 uses the 3 mics like the Droid X 1 and 2. I hope the Bionic does the same.

And if I wasnt so pressed to use LTE....I would be ordering me a Droid 3 right now. If my money is right....I may just get both the Bionic and Droid 3 or throw a GS2 somewhere in there...yea I have a problem...

Upvote 0
A preview and review from Anandtech (one of my fav places for tech info):

AnandTech - This Just In - Motorola Droid 3 for Verizon

AnandTech - Motorola Droid 3 Review - Third Time's a Charm

After the review a few things happened:

I got goose bumps about the Bionic...lol The OMAP 4 in the Droid 3 and Bionic is nothing to sneeze at.

GPU accelerated launcher and homescreen? Moto is finally doing the accelerated UI thing like HTC and Samsung? If so....yall stock Android folks can have vanilla....give me the custom UI's until stock Android UI on phones is GPU accelerated.

Ppl can say what they want about Motorola....but they are doing something right when it comes to battery life. Whether its a massive battery ala Atrix or something they just do with the their phones...its something to think about.

Noise cancellation...the Droid 3 uses the 3 mics like the Droid X 1 and 2. I hope the Bionic does the same.

And if I wasnt so pressed to use LTE....I would be ordering me a Droid 3 right now. If my money is right....I may just get both the Bionic and Droid 3 or throw a GS2 somewhere in there...yea I have a problem...
Cool, thanks for the links. In general, I like AT's reviews. They're pretty thorough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones