• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still no update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Third

Feb 9, 2010
I have had an account with GTE MobilNet/ Verizon for nearly 11 years. I have had as many as five phone lines on my account at times. Currently I only have 3. I have purchased from Verizon a Motorola Bag Phone; three Motorola Star Taks; two Motorola V-60s; multiple Motorola Razrs; one Motorola Krzrs; one Motorola Max VE and one Motorola Droid that I purchased less than ten days from when it was released. Yet I have not received an OTA from either Verizon or Motorola.

My daughter is a manager of an AT&T Store near Dallas, Texas. she keeps telling me I should switch to her company. She even promised me a new I Phone 3GS as a deal maker. Obviously customer loyalty is not in Big Red's Mantra

This really is strange actually....no it is funny....no it is strange after all.

I'm not trying to be too much of a dick here, but go back and re-read what you just wrote. Really. If you can explain using rationale - not emotion - why anything you said is irrelevant, please do. Otherwise, just keep waiting like the rest of us - You'll get the update soon. (You also have the option of forcing it manually.) Or, if you truly feel the need to switch to another phone on another carrier because a company with 90 million subscribers is making you wait a couple of days longer than a few other people for a minor software update, then you should probably go ahead and do that.

Upvote 0
Yes it is pretty much what I wrote yesterday. No I am not that concerned as to when I will get the update. Yes I realize that sooner or later we will all get the update. No I will not change carriers. Yes I feel the hype behind the update is hype.

The point I am trying to make is that loyalty of customer obviously means very little. Personally I think that is "all kinds of wrong".

Upvote 0
"The point I am trying to make is that loyalty of customer obviously means very little. Personally I think that is "all kinds of wrong". "

You are barking up the wrong tree! Take it to Verizon and Motorola, not here. You get it when you get it. When that day comes, You can yell BINGO! because you have finally won your price.

Upvote 0
The point I am trying to make is that loyalty of customer obviously means very little. Personally I think that is "all kinds of wrong".

I still don't get it. It will take about two weeks for the update to get pushed to everyone OTA...And you think that because you bought a bag phone from Verizon in 1999, you shouldn't have to wait for the current update on a completely different phone 11 years later?

Personally, I think that starting multiple threads whining about the same bunch of nonsense that doesn't doesn't add up is "all kinds of wrong", but since we're not keeping our thoughts on the inside today, I'll just click "submit reply".

(And in the future, if you plan on whining about Verizon - if that is what you're trying to do - at least do it in the right forum.)

Upvote 0
Yes it is pretty much what I wrote yesterday. No I am not that concerned as to when I will get the update. Yes I realize that sooner or later we will all get the update. No I will not change carriers. Yes I feel the hype behind the update is hype.

If you have been a long time customer they will certainly be lenient with you and take it into consideration if you ask them to reverse unexpected fees etc. I've been with them for 7 years and they gave me $200 off my Droid as a 1 year upgrade even though I technically didn't qualify for it. I don't see why long time customers should have first priority for OTA software updates though.

I'm sure if they put it in any particular order people would complain that they should be first because they have a more expensove plan or have more phones or yes they switched carriers for a month a year ago but they were with verizon for 6 years before that.

Releasing the update to certain people first is just going to piss off the other customers so it has to be random.

Upvote 0
I have had an account with GTE MobilNet/ Verizon for nearly 11 years. I have had as many as five phone lines on my account at times. Currently I only have 3. I have purchased from Verizon a Motorola Bag Phone; three Motorola Star Taks; two Motorola V-60s; multiple Motorola Razrs; one Motorola Krzrs; one Motorola Max VE and one Motorola Droid that I purchased less than ten days from when it was released. Yet I have not received an OTA from either Verizon or Motorola.

My daughter is a manager of an AT&T Store near Dallas, Texas. she keeps telling me I should switch to her company. She even promised me a new I Phone 3GS as a deal maker. Obviously customer loyalty is not in Big Red's Mantra

This really is strange actually....no it is funny....no it is strange after all.

I have been with this company since 1992. I have had all of those phones too, even the high end flip phone that preceded the Star Tac. It doesn't mean anything. I haven't gotten the update either, but it will come soon enough. I don't think it's possible to send it VIP customers first. I would be nice if they could do that.

Upvote 0

*facepalm*

The update has been available to you for 6 days now. At any time you choose, your Droid can be updated in about 5 mins.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...l-android-2-1-update-motrola-droid-ese81.html

Upvote 0
In my view random is the only fair way the update can be done. Giving anybody preferential treatment by definition puts someone else at the end of the line; and the moment you make that distinction someone will know they need to feel like they have been cast aside.

The first 10,000 people may or may have not ended up with bricked phones. Do you give new customers that honor? Maybe you give it to the long time customers and risk bricking their phones. Maybe you go somewhere in between the two. That way you alienate your new and old customers by not choosing them, and risk alienating everyone else by possibly screwing up their phones.

After that first group, the question isn't who do you give priority to. It's who do you alienate and put last.

It may not seem fair, but the very thing that makes it seem that way is exactly what makes the whole thing as fair as it is.

Like others have said you have the option to manually update. It's the same thing (as evidenced by the continued OTA) and will certainly end the wait. The other option is to wait for the OTA. It'll get to everyone in time.

Upvote 0

This thread is pretty funny... you want loyalty? If every one but you gets the update, then your loyalty went awry. The fact that we are getting an update is a reward to loyalty in and of itself. If you want to get an iphone go a head, because when iphone has an update, you need to buy an entirely new phone. Quit crying. I have been with verizon 8 years and my droid was bought launch week and I got my update yesterday. Let's burn Verizon and Motorola to the ground because they are trying to update 2million droids, and not all of us can be first!

Upvote 0

And if they sent it to you first and bricked your phone, you'd be complaining that they used a loyal customer as a "test bed"! They'll never win with you.

If you want to feel even better, I've only been with Verizon for 2 years and got my update Thursday night. :D

Upvote 0
everyone deserves it. i didn't get it cause i rooted. look at it this way... a company says the millionth customer gets a free mountain bike... well i have been a customer since 20 years back, where is my mountain bike? it doesn't work that way. Its the fact that its random and no one gets it first or last... I guess if you want it first go work for Verizon corporate, they get it first and they ruined their droids.

Upvote 0
Today at work I had a few minutes of free time so I was scanning the forum and found this thread. I laughed a little that this guy is complaining about not receiving the OTA update. To me it's no big deal. You'll get it when you get stop complaining. I was about to check my Gmail on my Droid and saw the prompt to install the OTA update.

Install only too a few minutes. After the reboot I noticed my Droid was faster. I like the new Gallery and checked out the Live wallpaper. Your gonna like the new update when you receive it.

I wonder if you will be the last person to receive it. Hopefully not, maybe The Third from the last.

Upvote 0

It's not AT&T Wireless that's giving you the customer service, it's your daughter. Everybody here knows that AT&T Wireless does not give everybody a free iPhone 3GS just to sign on with them. Either she's buying it for you or she's doing something she's not supposed to do. My guess is the latter.

Upvote 0
i got my update on easter, no big deal, just say reboot and ur done, i got helix with five screens, i love it, i can still do everything i did on saturday before the update, everyone who was making a fuss about this update... oh i dont know what to say, its really nothing. bug fixes, tweeks imo, overall what i got out of this update is the about screen going from 2.0.1 to 2.1-update1.....ooooohhh wow

Upvote 0
I am a former AT&T client. I had their service for over 4 years. During this time, I was among their top 10% individual user. I never had an upgrade and finally, when my old phone (sim card) couldnt work on their 3G network , I asked for an upgrade. I was told I have to buy the phone of my choice (iphone 3gs). My phone bill averaged almost $22K annually for a single phone line.
Didnt get my 2.1 yet.
:)

Upvote 0
I am a former AT&T client. I had their service for over 4 years. During this time, I was among their top 10% individual user. I never had an upgrade and finally, when my old phone (sim card) couldnt work on their 3G network , I asked for an upgrade. I was told I have to buy the phone of my choice (iphone 3gs). My phone bill averaged almost $22K annually for a single phone line.
Didnt get my 2.1 yet.
:)
wtf 22k annually...what a baller.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones