• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Still Suffering Speed Loss

Muilisx

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2011
Long Island, NY
After the recent update for our phone a couple months ago. My 4G got a lot slower. I thought it was a flukee, but after all this time. Still Slow.

I use to get 4mb down and like 6mb up, now it seems the phone kind of locks up during speed tests which causes the speed to drop. 1.2mb down now on a bad day is pretty bad for 4g.

Sometimes when downloading something, the data will just time out, and then reconnect a minute later, not sure why it's doing this.

Anyone have a speed issue since the update?

After the recent update for our phone a couple months ago. My 4G got a lot slower. I thought it was a flukee, but after all this time. Still Slow.

I use to get 4mb down and like 6mb up, now it seems the phone kind of locks up during speed tests which causes the speed to drop. 1.2mb down now on a bad day is pretty bad for 4g.

Sometimes when downloading something, the data will just time out, and then reconnect a minute later, not sure why it's doing this.

Anyone have a speed issue since the update?

Id be guessing that you are from Long Island NY. I think the main reason for this is Sandy. I live in south brooklyn and the strength of my signal is still really bad in many areas of NYC

Upvote 0
Id be guessing that you are from Long Island NY. I think the main reason for this is Sandy. I live in south brooklyn and the strength of my signal is still really bad in many areas of NYC

He said its been happening since the firmware update. If it started happening since sandy hit, he probably wouldn't be complaining on here....no?

Upvote 0
He said its been happening since the firmware update. If it started happening since sandy hit, he probably wouldn't be complaining on here....no?

Sandy past by around 2 months ago (couple) so I assumed that firmware might not be the main issue. In some cases problem might be caused by different factors, in few cases, issues are not noted right the way. If I'm incorrect please disregard it.

Upvote 0
Wasn't this suppose to wipe the phone to factory?

I just did it, and all my apps and backround and settings are all the same.

edit: but , I don't care because the firmware is back to the stock, and I am now getting 5mb down, and 3mb up. I am home too, before I kept getting 1.7mb down day after day after day in the same location.

So, seemed like this worked like a charm, and i did not have to reinstall anything...

AWESOME!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Wasn't this suppose to wipe the phone to factory?

I just did it, and all my apps and backround and settings are all the same.

edit: but , I don't care because the firmware is back to the stock, and I am now getting 5mb down, and 3mb up. I am home too, before I kept getting 1.7mb down day after day after day in the same location.

So, seemed like this worked like a charm, and i did not have to reinstall anything...

AWESOME!

Thanks!

What exactly did you do? Could you post a step by step?

Upvote 0
I'm getting pretty slow speeds in my home though when I first got my phone I had much faster speeds. After reading this thread I thought maybe it had something to do with the update too. However, after downgrading to stock firmware there was no difference for me.

I suppose the slower speeds is just because more people are using the network. Can't wait until they start upgrading the network here in California.

Upvote 0
I'm getting pretty slow speeds in my home though when I first got my phone I had much faster speeds. After reading this thread I thought maybe it had something to do with the update too. However, after downgrading to stock firmware there was no difference for me.

I suppose the slower speeds is just because more people are using the network. Can't wait until they start upgrading the network here in California.
They should update us at the end of the month about the spectrum Refarming & other 4G upgrades (VoLTE) when they do their Q4 earning calls

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones