1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Still worth to buy Incredible 2?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thesePretzels, Jun 15, 2012.

1. thesePretzels

thesePretzels Lurker

I am eligible for a new upgrade with verizon and am considering the droid incredible 2 (available through newegg). I'll be moving to NYC in a few months and understand they have 4GLTE that is fast. My uses for a smart phone (which I currently do not have) will be email, google voice, google maps, and listening to locally stored music. I'd like to check the wiki and other sites once in a while to win arguments, but won't be doing any netflix through the phone.

I also really dig the 4" screen as opposed to the much larger (too large?) screens of the new 4G LTE phones.

My question is: does the incredible 2 have enough oomph for 2 years of service? thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert

I probably wouldn't use an upgrade for the Incredible 2.

3. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member

I would (probably) agree.
    I think you can find a DInc2 out there for pretty cheap without using your upgrade.
    I would wait a little and get the DInc4G when it comes out. Future proof yourself if you're going to use an upgrade.
    That is, unless you want it free. If you just don't want to spend a penny to get your phone and still get a solid friggin phone, the DInc2 is not a bad choice.
    I'll rock this phone for a long time possibly. I love it.

4. bberryhill0

5. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Android Enthusiast

I agree with "I wouldn't burn an upgrade on it" but... Unless you have an existing data plan with VZW and you're replacing one smart phone with another, you can probably grandfather into the old plan for another two years, which means potentially saving $30/mo on your existing plan. If you do it before 28 June. Also, prices on VZW's inventory will go up after 17 June (Father's Day). For example, a Razr Maxx will jump up $100 after Sunday.

If you now have a basic phone and no data plan, no, I would not buy a DINC2. If you have a data plan and can get a DINC2 for peanuts, this is a good phone. My only two gripes are a) the radios aren't the best (problems with both cell and BT connections that didn't show up in my BB Storm) and b) both HTC and VZW haven't been very aggressive in fixing problems (e.g., the clock app problem).

6. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member

I thought the clock app problem was fixed with the last OTA (not this one rolling out now) :thinking:
    I have never seen the problem, I've been rooted since day one.

7. bberryhill0

Reports were that the clock problem got fixed in the December update but like TAR my phone was rooted an hour and a half after I turned it on. The new update seems to break things.

8. victek

victek Android Enthusiast

I've read about the plan changes coming, but I didn't know they were going to raise the price of phones as well. Can you say more about that? Links? TIA

Edit: The comment about prices going up after Father's Day is somewhat misleading IMHO. Some handsets are currently on sale and will return to their original price after the holiday, that's all. Verizon is not suddenly raising prices on handsets.

9. Emmnemms

Emmnemms Newbie

I bought a Dinc2 off of Ebay last week for $150. Great condition. My Dinc finally died and I needed a phone quickly and cheaply.

So far seems like a great phone, but certainly not worth using an upgrade for. (especially since my family still has unlim data)

In case you aren't aware, You don't have to renew your contract with verizon if you don't want to change your plan (I'm sure you can even add a smart phone without having to change your plan) You just keep paying your bills after the 2 years is up and they won't say anything. We have been out of contract for a year so far.

If you want to update your contract, I would suggest buying an Iphone, not having them activate it, and selling it on Ebay. They (last I checked) were selling for $700~, and you could get them for $300~ with an upgrade. You could buy a used Dinc 2, and pocket $250 or save for your next phone.

HTC Droid Incredible 2 Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible 2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1450mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews