• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stock 2.1 with SPRecovery

skyscraper38

Jul 7, 2010
I for some reason have SPRecovery 0.99.3b. and I dont have root at all, or any superuser permissions. I noticed this when I tried to load the official 2.2 and it wouldn't let me.

So my question is how
1. How do I have this?
2. How would I root from here?

I've thought about the easy root, but read that 2 people had the recoveries lost..

FWIW: I was once rooted and unrooted using RSD to stock no root 2.0.1 then got the OTA update to 2.1

If you want to go back to stock then using RSD Lite and an sbf is your best bet. You will lose all your data though.

That's the only thing I'm afraid of. But eventually I will have to do it if I ever want to get the OTA 2.2.

On that guide you gave me, on step 18. Do I have to download one of those 2 links provided, if I use one of those. Are their certain roms and themes that can only be used on those?

Upvote 0
That's the only thing I'm afraid of. But eventually I will have to do it if I ever want to get the OTA 2.2.

On that guide you gave me, on step 18. Do I have to download one of those 2 links provided, if I use one of those. Are their certain roms and themes that can only be used on those?

Those are both roms actually and actually neither can be themed. They are stock roms with superuser added. If you want to get back to stock without losing data it might be possible but its not the easiest thing in the world.

Upvote 0
Those are both roms actually and actually neither can be themed. They are stock roms with superuser added. If you want to get back to stock without losing data it might be possible but its not the easiest thing in the world.

If you could enlighten me, I'd like to try and go back so I can get stock 2.2 no root.

Also if I use RSD would I have to go to 2.0.1 or straight to 2.1?

Upvote 0
If you could enlighten me, I'd like to try and go back so I can get stock 2.2 no root.

Also if I use RSD would I have to go to 2.0.1 or straight to 2.1?

A lot to type but I will help you out if you have ADB setup and know how to use it. Also know going in that there is a chance it might not work and you might have to sbf back to stock and lose all your data.

Upvote 0
Oh, well I don't have ADB. Basically my best bet is just writing down all my apps and re-downloading them after i do the manual 2.2?
I won't lose my contacts, pictures, or calendar stuff right?

There used to be an app on the market called app list that would make a list of your apps. Check to see if its there.

Your contacts and calendar are tied to your google account and nothing will happen to them. Your pictures are on your sd and wont be touched.

Upvote 0
There used to be an app on the market called app list that would make a list of your apps. Check to see if its there.

Your contacts and calendar are tied to your google account and nothing will happen to them. Your pictures are on your sd and wont be touched.

Found it and downloading it now, Thanks.

Do I Sbf to 2.1 or 2.0.1 first, or does it not matter.

Upvote 0
Just my thoughts ....
Why go stock when there are so many solid 2.2 roms out there that are much better than stock ?
what would be the benefit of going with a stock 2.2 rom
Also if the OP has sprecovery cant he just load a rooted rom ? (update.zip) :rolleyes:

I guess I just dont understand .... sorry :thinking:

Upvote 0
Just my thoughts ....
Why go stock when there are so many solid 2.2 roms out there that are much better than stock ?
what would be the benefit of going with a stock 2.2 rom
Also if the OP has sprecovery cant he just load a rooted rom ? (update.zip) :rolleyes:

I guess I just dont understand .... sorry :thinking:

He can just load a rom but he would rather go back to stock it seems. Some dont have much need for root and stock keeps their warranty intact.

Upvote 0
I was rooted at one time and it was nice, but I was always cautious about my phone messing up and being screwed out of hundreds of dollars, I was king of gun shy you could say. I recently got a job where I'll need my phone for 24/7 and I cant take the chance of messing with it anymore and mess something up and lose my job.

One day I'll be back with the darkside, but until then I like stock 2.2 no root.

Reactions: gnath9
Upvote 0
I may be one of the lucky ones or something ... my phone has always been really solid thru all my roming. for some reason I never seem to have issues (knocks on wood) plus these new FR22 roms seem super smooth and stable. I also am fairly conservative I clock at 800mhz but my phone can handle 1.2ghz just fine. I just think why push it that hard when 800 does the job. I too need my phone to work and last me thru my contract

I do thank you for answering :)

Upvote 0
@ mxracer ... I followed OMJ's tutorial section on How to revert back and used the 2.1 sbf with no problems and went back to stock 2.1 . I had problem at first but if it doesn't complete install of sbf and rsd lite has STOPPED running then it is safe to unplug phone. But make sure it's STOPPED/COMPLETED before you unplug like OMJ said or you'll have issues. I tried several things but was unable after failed install and didn't want to unplug and cause issues but I couldn't get rsd lite to recognize phone after first attempt failed. So I had to unplug and start over, worked second time.

Someone else more familiar than me please verify this & correct me if wrong.

It is like starting from scratch activation and all. I then allowed the froyo 2.2 update (frg01b for me) to see if any different from rooted frg22 i did 2 weeks ago. ** I also used astro file manager to backup apps so it was easy to re-install them from backup folder so I didn't have to hunt them down again **, especially if you used any apk(s) to install app(s). Make sure you have a good charge on your battery as time varies to complete the steps in tutorial. Hope this helps.

Reactions: mxracer
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones