• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stock AC charger

That's very interesting. I had a lot of trouble transfering files until I used the cable that came with the Nexus.

Apparently, they might be doing something different in the cable, as a standard USB->micro-USB cable doesn't seem to work as well.

I've use a 3rd party cable and the cable that came with my OG Droid to transfer files to my PC without issue. I don't think Samsung is doing anything proprietary/shady here. Maybe it was just a bad cable you had..?

Upvote 0
I've use a 3rd party cable and the cable that came with my OG Droid to transfer files to my PC without issue. I don't think Samsung is doing anything proprietary/shady here. Maybe it was just a bad cable you had..?
You would think everything would be standards based, and that there isn't any differences.

However, I didn't have any issues with this cable on any previous phone or tablet, nor since. I also could transfer small files, but large ones timed out and the phone acted like it got disconnected. It was real finicky.

Perhaps the GNex is a little more suceptable to noise or crosstalk on the transfer, and the cable that comes with the GNex is higher quality. Don't know, but do know that all file transfer issues disappeared when using the stock cable.

Upvote 0
For anyone interested in quality chargers:

The best quality chargers I've come across:

Samsung OEM 1.0A Original Home Wall AC Travel Charger Adapter + USB 2.0 Data Sync Connect Transfer Charge Cable This is the stock Samsung charger that came with the phone. For $6 to get it WITH a MicroUSB cable is pretty darn good. I ordered two of these. Note the MicroUSB is an older model not the same glossy plug one included with the phone, but a cable's a cable as long as the charger is the right 1amp output!

Verizon Wireless Branded Dual Cigarette Lighter (No Link sorry :L) I order these at work all the time as an IT manager. They're basically the same as the below Griffin model. I **believe** they output 1amp as well from both USB ports. (I'm a big fan of straight USB ports from the cigarette lighter jack so no matter what device you have if you've got the right cable it will work in any car etc) The nice thing is they sit "flush" in the jack and don't stick out much.

Griffin Technology PowerDuo Universal Micro for Smartphones - Black $16.82 on Amazon Comes with a cigarette lighter AND an extra wall brick (brick is a loose description it's rather small like the OEM Samsung charger) It's a micro edition of the older PowerJolt Duo I own which is only 500amp output and chargers so slow!

I'm still on the hunt for a really thin and flexible USB-->MicroUSB charger. In the winter when it gets super cold thicker cables/plastic get really touch to bend etc so the thinner the better. Haven't found a great one yet, although I was considering Best Buy's RocketFish brand, albeit the overpricing. ($19 for JUST the cable)

Upvote 0
I bought 3 of the $6 ones from the Amazon merchant - I was also happy to see that the cables were as long as the stock one when I received mine. These are great...so small, good current output and a reasonably long cable...

Ditto I bought a few. Wish the cable was the same as included with the SGN but the older one is fine too. I'm still on the hunt for a good MicroUSB cable with a different cable material

Upvote 0
I love the form factor of the charger too...but ive seen older usb cords with the same "stiff" cord connected to the male ends of the cord and they crease at that point iver time. So i reinforced each end with black electrical tape.

This is part of the reason I'm looking for a better MicroUSB charger to use. I saw one that was for the iPhone specifically at Best Buy but the material used to cover the wire was a soft rubber/plastic instead of the firmer stiff stuff you usually see. I wish I remembered the brand name now!

Upvote 0
I have one of these. It worked great on my D1. I havr a ~10' usb extension and the micro usb plugged into the end of that (not the stock cord though). I noticed that when I plug it in, it says its on USB charge, not AC charge. The D1 said AC charge.

I will try the stock cable out and see if it changes. Not sure why it would think its USB charge.

Does anyone know of any apps that will work with this phone that will indicate/log how much current is being drawn by the phone while charging?

Anybody ever think of getting one of these? Power, Outlet: U-Outlet, Dual Socket/ Dual USB, 110V, TruePower

2.4 amps total, so it should work pretty well.

Upvote 0
Maybe a little late for some people here but I just got some of these: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

1.0 Amp which matches the OEM charger.

I buy my cables from HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

They sell 24 gauge cables vs the 28 gauge ones that most OEM ones are. The 24 gauge I've purchased there have always outlasted any OEM ones I have ever had.
http://www.monoprice.com/

Upvote 0
Maybe a little late for some people here but I just got some of these: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

1.0 Amp which matches the OEM charger.

I buy my cables from HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

They sell 24 gauge cables vs the 28 gauge ones that most OEM ones are. The 24 gauge I've purchased there have always outlasted any OEM ones I have ever had.
http://www.monoprice.com/

I purchased a couple of those off eBay as well, but in black instead of white. They work very well.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones