1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Stock android functions

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ruby52, Jun 5, 2016.

1. ruby52

ruby52 Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    I recently bought a cheap 'smart phone' ZTE Blade V (model: ZTE v993w) the specs (on paper) seemed good for the price, however I'm quite disappointed, there are some key functions missing, that I thought were part of standard Android functions. They are:
    1) A reject list for unwanted phone numbers. If I get a call or a txt from an unwanted source (ie. telemarketer) I can place the number on a reject list and next call or txt from this number won't be answered. No such function on this phone?
    2) I like to organize my contacts in 'groups' (family, friends, work, etc...) and assign a specific ringtone to each category, but with this phone, I can create and assign contacts to a category, but I can not assign a ringtone to a category?
    3) I divert a landline to the mobile phone. When I get a diverted call, the word 'diverted' is displayed. Not on this phone?

I know that there are third-party apps for most of those functions, but my previous basic phone 'Samsung GT-B2710' (not a smart phone) had all those function out of the box?
    My question is: Are all those function buried under the ZTE skin? and if I 'root' the phone will I gain access to those functions? Android is based on 'linux' and I'm using 'linux mint' on my desktop and laptop computers, so I'm not unfamiliar with the 'linux terminal' if that helps?
    The other thing that drives me nuts, is that the 'touchscreen' is unresponsive when the phone lays flat on my desk?? If I pick it up, it works fine If I put it down, it stops working?? Anyone had that problem? and did you fix it?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

Those are definitely Samsung features and part of their dialler apps, not built into Android. Truecaller or Zenui Dialler & Contacts I think will solve all three points (not certain about the group ringtone). I have no idea why the screen is unresponsive when laid down...

3. ruby52

ruby52 Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    I have no reason to doubt you, but I'm really surprised that those basic functions are not part of stock standard Android?? you're absolutely sure that's the case? is it just 4.4.2? or all versions? Assuming you're correct, what brands of Android phone (other than Samsung) would have those functions out of the box? Thanks for the suggested apps above, I will check them out. Are they free?

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Yes they are free. I don't know which other brands may have those features. I am not 100% sure but reasonably so. Maybe someone else can confirm.