• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stock Camera app force closes

alpha2k

Android Expert
Nov 19, 2009
Not sure what happened but my stock camera app now force closes. I installed another camera app called angel camera, could that have an adverse affect on the stock app.

I am rooted, and not sure what to do here to get the stock camera app working again. I have also shutdown the phone and restarted it with no luck, so any help is appreciated.

Not sure what happened but my stock camera app now force closes. I installed another camera app called angel camera, could that have an adverse affect on the stock app.

I am rooted, and not sure what to do here to get the stock camera app working again. I have also shutdown the phone and restarted it with no luck, so any help is appreciated.
You didnt by chance remove email.apk from your system/app/ directory did you?

Upvote 0
You didnt by chance remove email.apk from your system/app/ directory did you?

Heh. yes I did, let me guess that app is associated with the camera app? if so that seems kinda dumb, but I can always move it back. I learned my lesson in removing stock apps, I copy them to my sd card in case I need them again.

@jjohnbubby5: just so I can have as a refresher course can you post a step by step here, I will save it to a safe place in case I need to refer back to it.
I think your referring to the delverik cache or whatever it's called. I remember doing it on my samsung moment.

Upvote 0
I think I messed up good this time. I have the apk of the stock email and camera backed up on my sd card. I copied the apk file back over to the system app root folder system/app folder. I ran the apk like an install and hit yes to install, rebooted the phone and no camera or email at all. So did I mess up? am I doomed to a factory reset?

I noticed the apk files also have an odex file, am I spose to have that file as well, if so I think I'm doomed, as I never copied that file over, only the apk files.

Edit:
I cleared the cache out via the recovery console I think it is.
I tried installing and finally realized thier not installing LOL, doh.....it says app not installed or something, basically it's not getting installed.

Woodstock, my appologies for not sifting more thru the forums. I found where it was said that the email.apk was needed for camera to work. That being said I could really use your assistance in useing adb. Keep in mind you may have to do step by step instuctions, but I am a work in progress and trying to learn.

I have adb installed but when I go to install the apk file I type in first adb devices to see if I am connected, and it finds the zte fine.
After that I go to install and get the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>adb install email.apk
2031 KB/s (0 bytes in 1949998.000s)
pkg: /data/local/tmp/email.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DEXOPT]

I'm up for suggestions, and learning if you have the patience to help a newb out

Reactions: ROYALSM
Upvote 0
Google'd "android camera closes", this thread the first result for me.

I'm on an HTC One X
Android 4.0.3
HTC Sense 4.0

My camera (camera or video mode) would just close and minimize to homescreen, when I pushed the screen button to capture. I changed the quality from 8" M (3624 x 720)" to "1 M (1280 x 720)" and it works fine now.

Not a storage problem based on my current usage.

Upvote 0
Google'd "android camera closes", this thread the first result for me.

I'm on an HTC One X
Android 4.0.3
HTC Sense 4.0

My camera (camera or video mode) would just close and minimize to homescreen, when I pushed the screen button to capture. I changed the quality from 8" M (3624 x 720)" to "1 M (1280 x 720)" and it works fine now.

Not a storage problem based on my current usage.

Unfortunately, GOOGLE brought you to the wrong place. :( This thread is part of the ZTE WARP. We have a different phone and software.

Try these threads: (still a part of Android Forums)

HTC One X/XL - Android Forums

HTC One X Plus - Android Forums

This is the root link for all phones:
Android Phones - Android Forums

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones